tsunkasapa

Drought =Leather?

I just saw this article on ranchers cutting back due to reduced grazing available. I remember back when the Govt. paid dairy owners to reduce their herds that there was lot of very reasonably priced leather. I'm wondering if we'll see that again. 

'The worst we've seen': Ranchers threatened by historic heat and drought (yahoo.com)

Of course the trade off will be an increase in the price of the beef down the road.   :(  

12 minutes ago, JayEhl said:

Of course the trade off will be an increase in the price of the beef down the road.   :(  

I live in a county that has more cattle than people. What we pay here is nothing like what I see elsewhere. Especially when we buy a half directly from the guy that raises it. But yes, many will be paying more for it.

If I can get leather cheap enough .... I'll eat yard-bird  and more pig :spoton:

5 hours ago, JayEhl said:

I'm not a vegetarian or vegan but man it has been more and more tempting as meat prices rise. We hardly eat beef or pork anymore. Pretty much chicken and veggies only. 

15 hours ago, Gulrok said:

I'm not a vegetarian or vegan but man it has been more and more tempting as meat prices rise. We hardly eat beef or pork anymore. Pretty much chicken and veggies only. 

Fortunately, my kids have grown so its just the two of us but yea, its not cheaper and I get insulted by the grocers shrinkflation methods.  Funny how they blamed increased fuel prices for increased food prices but when oil came down the food prices sure didn't.   And now since the oil empires are cutting production to prop up their failing country you can sure expect our own grocers to follow suit.

@tsunkasapa govt's can use whatever incentives they want, it won't make it rain.  

Our Summer starts Dec. 1st , officially, I'm dreading it. Its been getting hotter each year .  

7 hours ago, Handstitched said:

@tsunkasapa govt's can use whatever incentives they want, it won't make it rain.  

Our Summer starts Dec. 1st , officially, I'm dreading it. Its been getting hotter each year .  

Our Govt isn't doing a thing to help the ranchers and farmers. They can spend billions on all manner of useless bullsnot, but to help those that raise our food?

They only paid the dairy farmers because they got tired of guaranteeing them a price for their excess products.

I'ma be eating pig toes and beans while asking someone throw $100+ on my leather goods. I guess if it really goes bad I can pull a Charlie Chaplin and start eating my stewed leather.

On 10/6/2022 at 9:40 AM, JayEhl said:

Fortunately, my kids have grown so its just the two of us but yea, its not cheaper and I get insulted by the grocers shrinkflation methods.  Funny how they blamed increased fuel prices for increased food prices but when oil came down the food prices sure didn't.   And now since the oil empires are cutting production to prop up their failing country you can sure expect our own grocers to follow suit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/08/08/oil-companies-profits-inflation/

Rising energy costs is due to oligopolies having the control. Basically they have the entire US by their balls and you're stuck with that choice. Doesn't matter what side you're on politically - you're affected when there is no alternative to the market. With our current energy suppliers, that's it. You either buy their gas or you start walking. 

This is why the push away from non-renewables is sooo attractive to people. Ppeople are moving to electric for so much such as cars, heat pumps, stoves, etc . Its possible and much easier to begin producing electric (solar farms, wind, etc) as a smaller company rather than compete with the large ones for non-renewables. 

Edited by Gulrok

Dont make this political please stay on topic or i'll get blamed for ruining the forum again LOL.