Handstitched

Prize Winning Hand Bag

I got first prize  at our local show for this hand bag I made before August. The leather was given to me by a local, but it wasn't the best. Looks like the back/front & flap part   came from a kit.   Old, a bit hard , discoloured,  and with some scratches , but too good to just cut up or waste.  So I put my thinking cap on and this was  the result. The tooling had to hide any scratches, which almost kinda  worked.  It was handstitched  with custom made gussets .

I made a  rookie mistake along the way  too, plus a few others   , but it turned out quite well, and to my surprise, it got ' Most Out Standing Exhibit' ribbon OMG !!!   And, I sold it on the same day as the show...woo hoo .  My belt got second prize. Yey !!! 

HS

Prize Winning Bag & Belt August 2022 Edit.JPG

Prize Winning Bag & Belt August 2022 009.jpg

Prize Winning Bag & Belt August 2022 010.jpg

Prize Winning Bag & Belt August 2022 Edit 1.JPG

Verily most very excellent !   :thumbsup:

Mucho congrats to you  :rockon:

Craftsmanship will always win through

Stunning leather construction. Simple and beautiful. Bravo.

Congratulations!  Very nice work.

Thank you muchly  :) :)  I think my basket weave has improved  quite a bit. Still need to do a bit of work on the horses.  Practice practice....

HS

holy cow man that is awesome!!! i like them both you did a great job on that tooling. That belt design is cool.

Congratulations.  They look awesome.

/dwight

Damn nice, congratulations.

kgg

Perhaps I'm just dumb, but I didn't even know that there was options for entering shows where they gave out first prizes!! I always thought shows were for selling so color me "informed"!! Your tooling looks better than anything I've managed to do, so double or should I say triple congratulations on your belt and purse!! Nice job!!

Congrats! It's always good to get some reward for something as bold as subjecting your work to judgement. I'm too self conscious to even enter something like that. I'm fine selling stuff but exposing yourself to scrutiny is tough for me.

Congrats again! 

Excellent work! Years ago I put one of my belts in our county fair, and I beat out one of our local saddle makers for 'Judges Choice' and 1st place, so I know how you feel.

CONGRATULATIONS!! Great work! Lovely!

(And I think I see the 'rookie mistake' - the latch isn't 100% line up with the horseshoe, but no one's going to notice when the latch is closed!)

Nicely done.  I love how you stretched out the basket weaves.  That looks awesome.

VERY VERY NICE !!!!!  ? is that a seeder used for the border on the basket weave  ?

Y'know, looking at that open bag shot, the age of the leather is working for you. It looks much more genuinely vintage than new leather with an 'antique' finish and everyone knows leather gets better with age: It has that in common with wine, women and songs.

Those perfectly straight stitching lines are eye catchers too. Nothing speaks of quality like good stitching. 

Congratulations on the recognition and commercial success ('cos money beats ribbons.)

Great work Handstitched, congrats!

Well I can't add anything that wasn't said already  so well done:notworthy::You_Rock_Emoticon::thumbsup:

Great work! And those Quarter Horses look fine to me! (If that's what they are supposed to be ;) )

22 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

And I think I see the 'rookie mistake' - the latch isn't 100% line up with the horseshoe, but no one's going to notice when the latch is closed!)

Well done, you get the free beer  :cheers: ( or a fruit juice if you don't drink) .

Apart from that, the latch  is in the way of the image . About half an inch or so lower , it would have cleared it. I underestimated the size of the clasp. But I am very happy with result .BW is always a challenge .

On 10/7/2022 at 8:54 PM, chuck123wapati said:

That belt design is cool.

I love to doodle on leather , see what tool does what, have a play. If I like it, it goes on a project.  It also makes the design ' unique'  . 

21 hours ago, Gezzer said:

is that a seeder used for the border on the basket weave

Yes. I used a cammo on the outline of the bw , and a seeder to finish off  :)

16 hours ago, AndrewWR said:

Those perfectly straight stitching lines are eye catchers too. Nothing speaks of quality like good stitching. 

Thank you. I had no template for the gussets,  so I made my own.....with  some guess work . 

Thank you all for your comments & feed back . :thumbsup:

HS

@Handstitched  Thank you and that is  "genius "  !!

Wow. Thats great work!