Hello!

I'm going mad trying to figure this out on my own. I purchased a used Neel's Saddlery machine in Iceland and it's been passed through at least two sets of hands before coming to me so the manual and bobbin cover has been lost. I unfortunately have no idea what exact model I have since it has no identifications that I can see.

The issue I'm having is that it pulls the bottom thread through to the top of my work and nothing I do seems to fix the issue. I've tried googling the most common issues, threading it right, using the right thread, tightening the tensioner on the bobbin, loosening the tensioners on the top, oiling the machine from top to bottom, change the needle and nothing seems to help. I've put off ordering a new manual from Neel's since the shipping to Iceland would be so expensive from the US (I'll do it if that's the only thing that can help me fix the issue).

Any thoughts or advice?

310511944_511489770480616_3723071656523555322_n.jpg

297171569_2921554748146785_5155692244596114391_n.jpg

You are using a fairly thick needle for a fairly thin thread as it seems. Check this needle thread cart for finding  the right needle / thread size combination:

https://www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html

This is a GA5-1 Chinese made machine - basically a modern version of the Singer 45K

Here is a manual and parts list, hope this helps ;):

06_Techsew GA5-1 manual.pdf Techsew GA5-1 Parts.pdf

Edited by Constabulary

13 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

You are using a fairly thick needle for a fairly thin thread as it seems. Check this needle thread cart for finding  the right needle / thread size combination:

https://www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html

This is a GA5-1 Chinese made machine - basically a modern version of the Singer 45K

Here is a manual and parts list, hope this helps ;):

06_Techsew GA5-1 manual.pdf 910.12 kB · 1 download Techsew GA5-1 Parts.pdf 1.29 MB · 1 download

Thank you! That's very helpful!

1 hour ago, LisaHansen said:

The issue I'm having is that it pulls the bottom thread through to the top of my work and nothing I do seems to fix the issue.

The bobbin assembly is similar to other similar machines. The video I am linking to may provide some help even though it was for a one armed bandit, Tippmann Boss, which was having problems. Since you are not the original owner who knows what they done with adjusting the bobbin tensioner and may have over tightened it and flatten it so that it doesn't provide any tension anymore.

At about 1:05 into the video is a good place to start:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwJTdFLhvOQ&t=194s

Hope this helps,

kgg

55 minutes ago, LisaHansen said:

Thank you! That's very helpful!

A good reference chart for thread size versus needle size can be found at www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html compliments of Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines.

kgg

I've downsized the needle and adjusted the arm so it would catch the thread right. I think it may actually be the bobbin tensioner now that I've looked at it closely. The screw to adjust is well and proper chewed up. 

I found a replacement pretty cheap so I've ordered it. I'll have to find out if that did the trick in about 3-4 weeks.

Thank you so much for your suggestions and help!

14 minutes ago, kgg said:

The bobbin assembly is similar to other similar machines. The video I am linking to may provide some help even though it was for a one armed bandit, Tippmann Boss, which was having problems. Since you are not the original owner who knows what they done with adjusting the bobbin tensioner and may have over tightened it and flatten it so that it doesn't provide any tension anymore.

Update time!

I received the shuttle hook in the post this week and changed it out. Unfortunately the shuttle hook wasn't the only issue but fiddling some more with the machine I noticed that on one of the tensioners up top (the first "wheel" you put the thread through) was sticking and pinching the thread making the tensioning issue worse. I managed to tweak it and get it to stop pinching and it's running the stiches smoothly and not pulling either side.

You guys were so very helpful and I'm so grateful for your help! You guys are top notch!

Contact Ryan Neel at Neels Saddlery.  They are the US distributor for Cowboy machines.  he should have copies of the manuals that he can email you.    Looks a lot like the  Cowboy 2500

glenn