ArkieNewbie

Simple Way to Use Scrap

I have some odds and ends of an oil tanned side laying around and wanted to find some way to use it. Some might say this wrinkled piece might not be good for much but I love how it looks in this simple little change purse. What do y'all think?436531186_Changepurse2.jpg.59dc0936b0564d893cbbfcab05f56d6a.jpg1963355817_changepurse3.jpg.ae8c0ec0799e7d038411542354e6f176.jpg1412316386_changepurse.jpg.f0608d10117a74864038902a177ae1e1.jpg

I think it looks great. Almost has an elephant hide look to it. Just remember, it's not scrap if you can put it to use!

That's awesome.  I have a couple drawers full of bits and pieces that I need to find a use for.  Something like this would be great.

/dwight

Good use of small pieces.  I have 4 large rubbermaid tubs of them. Could make lots of coin purses.  Looks great with wrinkles.

15 hours ago, ArkieNewbie said:

I have some odds and ends of an oil tanned side laying around and wanted to find some way to use it. Some might say this wrinkled piece might not be good for much but I love how it looks in this simple little change purse. What do y'all think?436531186_Changepurse2.jpg.59dc0936b0564d893cbbfcab05f56d6a.jpg1963355817_changepurse3.jpg.ae8c0ec0799e7d038411542354e6f176.jpg1412316386_changepurse.jpg.f0608d10117a74864038902a177ae1e1.jpg

Life isn't always about perfection that's the joy of working with products made naturally. I think that looks great !!

2 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Life isn't always about perfection that's the joy of working with products made naturally. I think that looks great !!

Thanks, Chuck! You're so right! There's beauty in most things if you can pull it out. 

13 hours ago, SaintJoy18 said:

I think it looks great. Almost has an elephant hide look to it. Just remember, it's not scrap if you can put it to use!

Thank you!! I thought it had a super cool look to it! I had used a larger piece on the flap of a purse for my daughter. Added a nice contrast and accent. 

11 hours ago, DwightT said:

That's awesome.  I have a couple drawers full of bits and pieces that I need to find a use for.  Something like this would be great.

/dwight

It was fun and super simple! Even the strap across the front was a piece of scrap. 

2 hours ago, PastorBob said:

Good use of small pieces.  I have 4 large rubbermaid tubs of them. Could make lots of coin purses.  Looks great with wrinkles.

Thank you sir! 

This is how I use up scrap . I pass these out to Veteran's I meet when I'm out shopping or what ever. Their always happy to receive one of these, Its not scrap anymore:thumbsup: I just started my 3rd bag of rings 100 per bag.

20221013_183844 (Copy).jpg

Edited by Bert03241

22 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

This is how I use up scrap . I pass these out to Veteran's I meet when I'm out shopping or what ever. Their always happy to receive one of these, Its not scrap anymore:thumbsup: I just started my 3rd bag of rings 100 per bag.

I think I'm insulted. I don't see any Coast Guard in that collection. :P

Guess I'll have to start building some of those myself.

/dwight

No need to be insulted gave all the CG's out have to make more .yes please make all of them and pass them out.

Edited by Bert03241

3 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

I think I told you I was going to try and steal this idea ........ well I  tried and guess what  , I can't carve that small .   I still love the idea though  and " the permit "  :spoton:

10 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

Wow! That is awesome Bert! 

21 hours ago, Gezzer said:

I think I told you I was going to try and steal this idea ........ well I  tried and guess what  , I can't carve that small .   I still love the idea though  and " the permit "  :spoton:

Yea that would be tough to carve.

Very nice wee purse. Excellent use of 'scrap'. But as we know, there is no 'scrap' in leather crafting. Every sq mm can be used in some way

On 10/15/2022 at 6:33 AM, fredk said:

Very nice wee purse. Excellent use of 'scrap'. But as we know, there is no 'scrap' in leather crafting. Every sq mm can be used in some way

Absolutely, Fred! I just got done making a drawing pad cover and every time I made a cut I would hold the piece up, look at it, almost throw it in the trash box, and then think, "Nah, that'll come in handy later!"

You can make some stuff out of real small pieces .  I have thought about saving the drops from my hole punch and if I ever think of some way to use them ... I will .

13 minutes ago, Gezzer said:

You can make some stuff out of real small pieces .  I have thought about saving the drops from my hole punch and if I ever think of some way to use them ... I will .

I've had the same thought!! One thing I was thinking about was gluing them together and then trying to "round" them and make leather beads if you will but haven't actually attempted it yet...

1 hour ago, Chux said:

I've had the same thought!! One thing I was thinking about was gluing them together and then trying to "round" them and make leather beads if you will but haven't actually attempted it yet...

maybe make trivets out of them some how:)

5 hours ago, Chux said:

Hmmm  , that might  not be far off the mark .

16 hours ago, Gezzer said:

Hmmm  , that might  not be far off the mark .

I wonder if you could glue them up good like @Chux said and then put them in a round bullet mold to form them and dry. You'd probably have to coat the mold with something so they wouldn't stick. Then you could take a small drill bit and make some holes. 

New batch of key fobs for Vets. They take a while to make because there made from left over scrap. I make 1 or 2 some times more at a time.

Key fobs.jpg

Those look good Bert !!!

thanks I keep them in a ziplock bag in my car, when I go out I put one from each branch in my pocket, in case I see a vet, which most of the time I do in the super market:yes:

They look awesome   :)

Love seeing scraps being used up for some of the most practical and unique and individual  items. I /we have heaps of scraps and  every time I see these, my creative mind goes in all sorts of directions. But, like I say to my customers:

" I make can just about make anything......... but the one thing I can't make is time " :yes:

HS

Yes, it looks usable and doesn't look like a piece of scrap. In a positive way you can think of it as a vintage piece. 

Another great use of scrap, very small scrap in fact, is cord organizers.  Just a small piece and a snap and you're good to go.  Or velcro, or magnets, or a Sam Brown Stud or...

Pu Leather Cord Organizer Tools | Leather Earphones Cable Winder - 3pcs  Cable Ties - AliexpressTwelve South CableSnap | 3pk, Full-grain leather cord organizers/cable  management for Travel, Work and Home - Walmart.comLeather Cord Organizer - Saddle Tan - Red Clouds Collective - Made in the  USA