Hairic

Shoe repair people advise needed.

Ok so I been thinking for awhile and really want to get into shoe making/repair, have found a guy selling

"Landis shoe finisher vacuum cabinet line. Landis No. 12 Model K outsole stitcher. Landis No. 36 Blake stitcher, two nailers, Shoe jack stand and assorted steel lasts and a heel press. Both the Model 12 and No. 36 were adjusted just a year ago" copied from seller. 

I'm wondering what some experienced people think of above machines, it would cost me 6k total to purchase and have them shipped to me, is that a good or bad deal? I understand it all depends on quality, so let's say for the sake of it that they all work. I'm more curious as to what I should know before purchasing, such as where to get parts, thread, new sanding components, are the machines known to have issues,  and is that to much for all these machines, 1800 is shipping alone. Any advise is greatly appreciated!

On 10/12/2022 at 8:24 PM, Hairic said:

Ok so I been thinking for awhile and really want to get into shoe making/repair, have found a guy selling

"Landis shoe finisher vacuum cabinet line. Landis No. 12 Model K outsole stitcher. Landis No. 36 Blake stitcher, two nailers, Shoe jack stand and assorted steel lasts and a heel press. Both the Model 12 and No. 36 were adjusted just a year ago" copied from seller. 

I'm wondering what some experienced people think of above machines, it would cost me 6k total to purchase and have them shipped to me, is that a good or bad deal? I understand it all depends on quality, so let's say for the sake of it that they all work. I'm more curious as to what I should know before purchasing, such as where to get parts, thread, new sanding components, are the machines known to have issues,  and is that to much for all these machines, 1800 is shipping alone. Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Have you looked at the landis website? They still make machines. Also, reddit is a great source. What's the year the machines were made in? If it's old enough, you can probably find the manuals on archive.org. Or some other digitizing website. Is the machine computerized or fully mechanical? But overall, for all the cost associated, if the thing works, you are getting a decent deal.

Finishers (landisinternational.ca)

Here are some great websites:

These guys carry shoe machines and shoe machine parts. They also rebuild shoe machines. parts supplies accessories (gatewayshoemachine.com)

This site does the same as above and has manuals

Landis 12 L Stitcher (shoesystemsplus.com)

This site is a shoe machine repair forum

Forums - Shoe Repairer Forum

Edited by SSD1805
additional info

As a shoe repairer and maker, this seems like a good starting place. The Landis machines are the most popular and spare parts are readily available. I'm not familiar with the #36 machine but the Landis 12 K Outsoler is a great machine. A line finisher is of the older style of finishers, totally fine but the modern ones have more options and can take up less space. I run a line finisher but am always looking for a newer one to upgrade to.

For most consumables I am sure there would be a local supplier that sells sanding papers for the finisher as well repair components like heels, soles etc. Maybe https://www.labellesupply.com/

SRI (Shoe Repair International) is a great resource, but it is a Facebook group and membership is limited to people actively in the trade (or adjacent trades).

Also https://thehcc.org/ is a forum of mostly traditional shoemakers with heaps of info.

To round out your repair operation you would probably want a patcher (Singer 29K or Claes/Adler equivalent), maybe a 5-in1 rough rounder, and definitely some ventilation for all the glue. Use Renia adhesives.

To make shoes professionally you would want a post-bed sewing machine, maybe a skiving machine and of course shoe lasts.

Thanks for the replies, I did go ahead and got the machines, Still need to wire in the line as I don't have 220 where I put it.  The 12 k I have managed to do some stitching with just messing around with it, The 36 I have not put much time into just yet and have not got it threaded correctly to be able to play with it.  I do plan to get a post bed machine and a 5 in one next.  Found a couple different suppliers in my area however I found myself a bit lost when trying to decide what all supplies to get, I get lost on what nails to get, and what each one is for, I did order an old book to read and hope that helps but have not got around to reading it, My list of supplies to order are, nails, welt, cork filler, gemming, shanks, leather and rubber soles, glue, glue pot and brushes, and thread for my machines.  The machines came with allot of extra things I was not expecting, the line came with lots and lots of sandpapers, and several cutters.  Also received about 3 boxes of leather and rubber soles, about 5 boxes of nails, 5 boxes of women shoe heals, even got a set of taps for tap dancing shoes, I still have not gone through it all, but most of the soles are quite old and dry and I don't plan to use them for anything other than maybe some practice, even then they crack when stitching them. I am planning to put in a supply order soon, just not sure what all I should have on hand and really dont want to get to much or not enough of anything.