Oak Grove Leather Works

Need advice on selling tools and supplies

I know there is a thread for selling things, but before I dip my toes in those waters, I'd like some advice on how to go about it. I am getting out of the trade/hobby/obsession, and have lots of findings like assorted rivets and snaps, for example. Should I offer those as a single lot for a good "wholesale" deal, or in smaller quantities so people can get just what they need? Same with stamps; 100 assorted stamps, or smaller groups/individual stamps? Just curious what would be most likely to spark interest.    Thanks!

IF IT WERE ME . . . and that is only an IF . . . the rivets / snaps / etc . . . I'd list it as "this is what you get" . . . put a price on it . . . with a "or best offer" and sit and see what happens.

But for the stamps . . . I'd put them out there individually at first . . . because I am not sure who will buy 100 of em . . . right off the bat.  Most of us would like to see what you have . . . stamp wise . . . and if they are price right they will sell.

What ever is left over in the stamps a month from now . . . put them up as a "this is what you get: . . . price it . . .  OBO . . . and you are done.

That is how I'd handle it.

May God bless,

Dwight

On 10/15/2022 at 8:32 PM, Dwight said:

IF IT WERE ME . . . and that is only an IF . . . the rivets / snaps / etc . . . I'd list it as "this is what you get" . . . put a price on it . . . with a "or best offer" and sit and see what happens.

But for the stamps . . . I'd put them out there individually at first . . . because I am not sure who will buy 100 of em . . . right off the bat.  Most of us would like to see what you have . . . stamp wise . . . and if they are price right they will sell.

What ever is left over in the stamps a month from now . . . put them up as a "this is what you get: . . . price it . . .  OBO . . . and you are done.

That is how I'd handle it.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight-  Thanks for the advice.  I think I will do just that.  I'm trying to avoid the pain and suffering of taking 100 pictures of the tools and uploading them, but I imagine I can cut that down by offering pics of a  group and offering individual prices. Maybe a set of six backgrounders in different sizes and grain, or six different sized pear shaders, or that sort of thing.  The "3D" stamps I'll price individually. I think the "Rivets by the Pound" is a good idea. Here is what I have, at this price. Anyway, excellent advice, and I appreciate it.    --Steve

I got a large number of stamps at a pawn shop a couple of years ago. When I finished sorting them out, I found I had a number of duplicates, plus some I knew I'd never use (some picture stamps).

I listed them on the board here by number and manufacturer, and said I'd sell them at X dollars individually or X dollars for the lot. There were no pictures - if you wanted to know what a stamp looked like, you had to look up the number on Tandy. Most of the stamps WERE Tandy, and those that weren't were Tandy clones, so I could say 'looks like Tandy stamp number xxx.'

Someone on the board bought the whole lot. Actually, I had a couple of offers, as I'd priced them quite cheaply, just wanting to get back what I'd paid at the pawn shop. 

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/85348-stamps-for-sale/?tab=comments#comment-578870

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Thanks for the advice and the link! That's a great way to do it. I'm going to make mine cheap, too. I no longer have a need for any of it, and My wife wants the spare room back! Marital harmony above recouping money I spent a decade ago.