Drumhack

Antique finish produced backwards results

I have only carved about three flowers so far, ever.  Watched a Don Gonzales video on antiquing and followed his rules.  Olive oil, tan kote, antique gel dye (he used paste dye) then tan kote again.

His had all the flower high spots all nice and light and the background stuff is dark.  Mine came out exactly opposite???  Not even sure how that is possible.  Also areas where I beveled alot and used the lifter didn't take any dye at all hardly.  

Tried to post a picture and it keeps saying there's a size limit and I'm no Bill Gates on the computers so hopefully someone can see what I'm talking about and maybe have some tips.

Thanks for any help

Drumhack, do you have Microsoft Paint on your computer? If so, it's dead simple to resize your photos!

Open it in Paint. Select "resize" from the menu at the top. Select 'pixels' and choose a size somewhere between 500 and 800. You only have to enter the one dimension - the other will resize automatically to keep the picture in proportion.

Looking forward to seeing if we can figure out what went wrong!

21 hours ago, Drumhack said:

I have only carved about three flowers so far, ever.  Watched a Don Gonzales video on antiquing and followed his rules.  Olive oil, tan kote, antique gel dye (he used paste dye) then tan kote again.

His had all the flower high spots all nice and light and the background stuff is dark.  Mine came out exactly opposite???  Not even sure how that is possible.  Also areas where I beveled alot and used the lifter didn't take any dye at all hardly.  

Tried to post a picture and it keeps saying there's a size limit and I'm no Bill Gates on the computers so hopefully someone can see what I'm talking about and maybe have some tips.

Thanks for any help

What kind (brand) of leather did you use?

Thanks for the replies.  I'll get this forum on my computer and the picture too and try to send it tomorrow.  Been using phone for this.

I buy leather at the Tandy by New Orleans.  It was just the plain veg tan leather 6/7 ounce or 7/8 ounce I think.   I like to get it in person because I can unroll it on their big table and look at the whole side.  Online feels like a crap shoot to me.

The reason I asked is there is a difference color wise in leathers. I found out through trial and a lot more error that depending on what you apply the resist with makes a difference. Don uses old pieces of wool and I was using a sponge and was putting on way to much completely sealing it from the antique. The wool barely applies any. I'm sure if you look at the instructions it probably says to apply with something that's damp for a way not to over apply. The resist almost acts the same as block dying getting the resist on the high spots and letting the antique stick in the lower parts.