Rossr

Thumb hole sling

Made this sling up for my 15 year old.  He asked for black with a derr and his initials.  Don Gonzales Thumbhole sling pattern.  Wicket and Craig black skirting , oil tan for the back.  Sewed on machine.   

Thought I'd share

20221020_185419.jpg

20221020_185406.jpg

3 minutes ago, cardinal leather said:

nice work

Thanks,  glad to see you are still around the forums!

I like it, but...why the thumb hole??

1 minute ago, Chux said:

Not sure there is a why more of a why not.  Don's pattern pack a has regular sling and the thumb hole pattern one.  I had never seen on before.  So I Made one for my youngest and then this one for my oldest.  My oldest and I both liked the thumb hole and found it a nice addition.  Is it needed.  Nope.  But I liked how you could hold it that way when the gun is on your shoulder.  

Ross

Ps.  I have no affiliation with Don Gonzales,  but I do like the pattern pack and sure enjoy his you tube videos he shares a lot of great knowledge.  

24 minutes ago, Chux said:

I put a thumb loop on my shotgun sling and I like it. It allows me to hook my thumb in the loop and relax my hand and arm while stabilizing the sling and preventing the shotgun from sliding back.

With the thumb hole sling . . . you can take a small dowel rod about 3 or 4 inches long . . . tie a string to it or thru it in center . . . long ways . . . tie the string to your belt loop closest to your belt buckle . . . put the dowel thru and then sideways of the thumb hole . . . and the weight of the weapon then is on your belt . . . holding up your britches on one end . . . the gun on the other.

Makes for carrying the gun and stuff in your arms a lot easier . . . such as a cinnamon roll and a cup of coffee . . . 

It is especially useful for a heavy gun that is receiver heavy.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks for the replies. If I'm "understanding" things the hole in the sling isn't for stability when shooting, just for carrying the rifle?

5 minutes ago, Chux said:

Thanks for the replies. If I'm "understanding" things the hole in the sling isn't for stability when shooting, just for carrying the rifle?

That's my take.  Just a comfortable way to hold the sling when it's on your shoulder.  But that's me.

@Dwight for some reason needs it so he has extra room for coffee and a cinnamon roll.  hahahahha

Here I was trying to figure out how to shoot with my thumb through the hole haha :whistle:

Today I learned something!

That's beautiful!  Amazing what the kids "need" made out of leather when they have a source lol.  That will be an heirloom piece for sure.

9 hours ago, Chux said:

Yes.

I like it, I could use one myself.  Nicely done.  I'd make one for my Ruger Ranch Rifle and put a Coyote on it. B)  Where did you order the pattern pack?

This is my youngest thumbhole sling.   Starting to think I need one too.  But in brown not black!  

20221020_203427.jpg

20221020_203417.jpg

1 hour ago, PastorBob said:

That's beautiful!  Amazing what the kids "need" made out of leather when they have a source lol.  That will be an heirloom piece for sure.

Thanks.   Yes amazing how often they need a new knife from the knife shop or a new sheath or or or or

All those came out great!  I put out a sling, and the first thing folks wanted was one with a thumbhole, lol.  Just makes hanging on to it a bit easier I suppose.

YinTx

10 hours ago, YinTx said:

All those came out great!  I put out a sling, and the first thing folks wanted was one with a thumbhole, lol.  Just makes hanging on to it a bit easier I suppose.

YinTx

Thank you sir.

Edited by Rossr

52 minutes ago, Rossr said:

Thank you sir.

Hahaha nice edit!  and you are welcome, well deserved.

YinTx

I have the patterns on order. :yes:

Well got one made for me too.  Wickett and Craig leather skirting.  Some stamping and I put an R on it for my name.  Back is 2 to 3 Oz veg tan  machine stitched.  Notnbad for a quick couple hours. Imo anyway

20221109_201141.jpg

20221109_201238.jpg

20221109_201134.jpg

20221109_201120.jpg

20221109_201147.jpg

10 minutes ago, Burkhardt said:

Is that a Sergey (the Y's) stamp or from somewhere else? That a nice looking stamp that flows with the length of the sling.

Yes from leatherstampstools.  Sponsor here I believe,  I really like that pattern a lot.  

Edited by Rossr

All three are fantastic, my son could sure use a new one.

i could have used a thumb hole on mine this last month although i had no coffee or cinnamon rolls with me at the time. I don't know about the dowel rod idea if i was to see a huge bull elk and my rifle was hooked to my britches things might get ugly in a hurry lol.

Went to Tandy and got what I needed a few days ago, will be starting soon.