Sign in to follow this  
Cactusman

Oil - best for light coloring to create highest contrast with antiquing

I am finished tooling a piece and want it to be durable and long lasting. Thinking of going a route of oil, sealer (TanKote), antiquing, sealer so it can be oiled/maintained better. Leather if very light color and want to maintain highest contrast between leather and antiquing. What oil works best and has least darkening properties?

In past I dye, seal, antique, and seal. Worried that leather will not hold up as jacket patches, bag faces, etc.

Appreciate any advice,

David

Edited by Cactusman

If  I am understanding you right  .. no dye just oil for color and resist , antique and sealer ?

I used olive oil with that process on this one . I'm sure there are other options this is just what I do .

Elmer.JPG

Edited by Gezzer
wrong picture

Neatsfoot oil is fine...

If you want a shade of color in the oil just add less than 5% of the oil volume with Fiebings REGULAR dye....not the pro dye.  

This will give you a nice light color once it dries so long as you don't soak it.  I would just sheepskin or use a dauber or airbrush the mixture on it.  

1 hour ago, Cactusman said:

Thinking of going a route of oil, sealer (TanKote), antiquing, sealer so it can be oiled/maintained better.

After your final seal it will do you little good to try and oil it in the future. You have 'sealed' the oil out.