YinTx

32 hours of tooling

Half of it ruined by some random stain that showed up, hence why I had to repeat over and over.  Anyhow, got it tooled, now to get after finishing it out!

YinTx

Suspenders2.thumb.jpg.42a5a366e4cec8c0e0d1f580755d0ccf.jpg

I no longer wonder how you are so darn good at leather work- I frequently say, no lesson is more valuable than having to redo an almost complete project.

You do phenomenal work, thanks for sharing.

Yep these are beautiful.  I wish I had your patience 32 hours just unreal. Great carving. 

Ross

look purdy goody, but you maya mista spot (?)

Untitled-1.jpg

55 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Untitled-1.jpg

How the hell did you even SEE that???

Nice work!! 

8 hours ago, Leescustomleather said:

I no longer wonder how you are so darn good at leather work- I frequently say, no lesson is more valuable than having to redo an almost complete project.

You do phenomenal work, thanks for sharing.

Thank you for the sentiment.  Mr. Linnell is fond of saying the special thing about his swivel knife is the number of miles it has cut into leather!  I have to agree.  His work is infinitely superior, but I am glad that mine has a modicum of talent showing.

7 hours ago, Rossr said:

Yep these are beautiful.  I wish I had your patience 32 hours just unreal. Great carving. 

Ross

By the third try I was running low on patience.  Had to get an extra bottle of it!  Thanks, also!

4 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Almost, not quite.  Plenty of errors in all that tooling, that isn't one of them.  If you look really really close, you will notice that one strap is different.  Next to that scroll, there are three more "vines" or whatever you'd like to call them.  This pushes the scroll down under the flower.  I didn't really like the way that was turning out, so I redrew that section and a couple of others to appeal to my sense of aesthetic and tooling ability.  The other straps have only 2 "vines" in that section, and I moved the scroll a bit away from the flower.  I removed some other vines also.  Not sure it made all that much difference, but it's what I did anyhow!  Experimentation helps me improve, I find things I like better, and things I shouldn't have altered.  Thanks for deciding my piece was worth studying so closely!!

YinTx

Nice work but have to ask? How and why was time keep. I have tried to keep track, but always forget when continuing. If I do manage to keep time, no one can afford my work,    

1 hour ago, Bawarrior said:

Nice work but have to ask? How and why was time keep. I have tried to keep track, but always forget when continuing. If I do manage to keep time, no one can afford my work,    

Pretty much why I needed to keep time.  I just noted what time it was when I started, then again when I finished.  Usually took 3 to 4 sitings/day, so I removed the time I took for breaks.  I very rarely do straps or tooled belts, precisely because it is impossible to compete with  imported roller embossed stuff that you can get in the department store or online.  However, on the rare occasion I get a request, I have to give an honest quote that will at least keep me whole.  If they are still willing, then the pay has to be enough to keep me willing also.  If I don't know how long it takes me to tool out a foot of 1 1/2" strap, I can't do that.  Oftentimes the first customer gets the best deal because I underestimate, like in this case.  My hardware costs went from $4 to $35 and I didn't know.  Tooling took a bit longer than I thought it would.  I will end up eating all that.  Next one will have it factored in, and may mean I don't sell another, we'll see.

YinTx

Excellent work. At my pace now I might, just might, have completed two of those in that length of time.  :( Something I have learned that when an unwanted stain happens antiquing or dye can salvage the product. Certainly it's different but sill useable. I just did that with a holster I made for myself. Not exactly the color I intended but it works just like it is supposed to.

I quit doing anything for sales years ago. People seldom want to pay enough for your skill to make it worthwhile and you either do it for peanuts or quit. I enjoy leatherwork a lot but only do it as a hobby now.

On 10/23/2022 at 7:46 PM, YinTx said:

Thank you for the sentiment.  Mr. Linnell is fond of saying the special thing about his swivel knife is the number of miles it has cut into leather!  I have to agree.  His work is infinitely superior, but I am glad that mine has a modicum of talent showing.

By the third try I was running low on patience.  Had to get an extra bottle of it!  Thanks, also!

Almost, not quite.  Plenty of errors in all that tooling, that isn't one of them.  If you look really really close, you will notice that one strap is different.  Next to that scroll, there are three more "vines" or whatever you'd like to call them.  This pushes the scroll down under the flower.  I didn't really like the way that was turning out, so I redrew that section and a couple of others to appeal to my sense of aesthetic and tooling ability.  The other straps have only 2 "vines" in that section, and I moved the scroll a bit away from the flower.  I removed some other vines also.  Not sure it made all that much difference, but it's what I did anyhow!  Experimentation helps me improve, I find things I like better, and things I shouldn't have altered.  Thanks for deciding my piece was worth studying so closely!!

YinTx

Well done Yin! What a diplomat. Some folks got nothing to do but look for trouble.

Lovely work as always! Great job!

9 hours ago, doubleh said:

Excellent work. At my pace now I might, just might, have completed two of those in that length of time.  :( Something I have learned that when an unwanted stain happens antiquing or dye can salvage the product. Certainly it's different but sill useable. I just did that with a holster I made for myself. Not exactly the color I intended but it works just like it is supposed to.

I quit doing anything for sales years ago. People seldom want to pay enough for your skill to make it worthwhile and you either do it for peanuts or quit. I enjoy leatherwork a lot but only do it as a hobby now.

Thank you, and yes, I agree.  I will try to salvage the one set that isn't up to snuff, but the customer wanted a lighter color, so had to be redone.

Leather sales are tough to be sure.

5 hours ago, toxo said:

Well done Yin!

Thank you (thank you).  :)

3 hours ago, PastorBob said:

Lovely work as always! Great job!

Appreciate it!

YinTx