Sign in to follow this  
Rich1

Mauls

I am looking at berry king mauls, not sure if I want taper or round. Can anyone tell me advantages and disadvantages of either. I do combo of tooling and setting snaps, punching holes and all the fun stuff. Looking at 20 oz. Any recommendations greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

I don't like the round or tapered mauls at all. I bought one to try and decided it makes a good paper weight. I also bought a hammer shaped maul and don't care for it. It transmits more shock to your hand than the rawhide mauls with wooden handles do. I was replacing my old, old Tandy maul from when they sold decent tools. I replaced it with a Garland and find I don't care for the handle as it is little more than a round stick. When did decently shaped wooden handles disappear? It seems every wooden handled tool today has gone to just a round stick. I also prefer a maul around only 16 oz. and use a ball peen hammer for snap setting.

The choice is up to you. Only you can decide what you like best because we all differ a little. The hunt could prove expensive. I have a brand new rawhide maul that wasn't cheap that I don't like and can see no way to replace the handle. I wonder if adding bondo and shaping it to fit would help----and last.

Edited by doubleh

Like anything, you'll find folks with all sorts of opinions and they are all valid.  In the end, if it works for you, it works.

Here's a thread discussing whether to use a round or tapered maul.  Then general reason to use tapered is that it allows for a little less elbow movement.  That might be helpful, might not.  To me it also matters how you are seated.  A higher versus lower chair, etc.

If you use it a lot, you'll want to find a comfortable ergonomic environment in which to do it.  I'm sure if you search you'll find other useful threads.

I'll add my perspective from someone that is newish to leather work.  I do leather work as a Hobby and I was in the same position as the OP when I wanted to upgrade my Tandy yellow poly mallet. After quite a bit of research I settled on a tapered maul weighing ~14 oz. The reason I went with a tapered maul is because I tend to rest my elbow on the table/desk when tooling. The angle on the maul head allows for a solid hit while I do that. It may seem like a small thing but, for me, it helped quite a bit. Before getting the tapered maul some of my strikes would slide off, especially when tilting a tool such as when tapering off a beveling run.

For me 14 oz is just right for tooling. It lets me tool for a couple of hours at a time effectively, but without too much stress/fatigue on my arm.

If you have the ability to try try different types/weights that would be ideal. If you don't have that ability, a 16 oz maul would be a good place to start.

Hope this helps.

Thank you all for your opinions. I know it’s a personal decision but I like to get other opinions to help decide. Thank you again

On 10/26/2022 at 10:50 AM, doubleh said:

When did decently shaped wooden handles disappear? It seems every wooden handled tool today has gone to just a round stick.

I bought the 8 oz economy poly mallet from SLC when I got started and I love the handle on it. It is nicely contoured and fits my hand nicely. Only $16. It has worked great for me so far. There are some time I would like to have one a little heavier but for the money, it ain't too bad. 

@Rich1 I use the mallet mentioned above for EVERYTHING. Now, obviously I am just a beginner and I have never used a maul so, if you have your mind set on a maul, I'm not much help. 

I got linked in the thread mentioned above to a post from 2009 where I gave an opinion then. Here is what changed for me in 13 years - I continued to do a heavy amount of leather work (some know my past history) until about 5 years ago when I switched trails and started selling leather tools as the main part of the business.  In the meantime since 2009 I had replaced every straight maul with a tapered maul. My wife does leatherwork for fun and uses some straight mauls once in a while I guess. I see them out on the bench. I have an article series going right now in ShopTalk magazine on upgrading tools and striking tools to me are the second thing to upgrade once you get a good swivel knife if you are doing any carving. Everyone needs a 16 oz maul for general tooling. Once you get that - go lighter if you are doing a lot of little sharp stamps like bargrounders, go heavier if you are doing geometric stamps with a lot of face. My tools paid for themselves through my and I ended up with 12 oz, 16 oz, 1.5#, 2#,2.5# and 3#. What I used depended on the stamp or punch. Realistically the only time I use the 3# punch much is punching out rosettes. 

Which maker to go with depends on a lot of things. I have mauls through here from most of the major current makers. I've had the $20 Amazons on up too. Which one to choose depends on your anticipated usage, what you will tolerate, and your budget. Light use on the occasional billfold for a fun hobby, the smooth nylon head/wood handle Amazon may be OK without tying up much money. Stamp three notebooks a week that you sell and a grippier head and ergonomic handle more expensive version should be more enjoyable to use. That maul will pay for itself. Every user has a favorite handle, head material, and price point. There are several makers out there to fit that.  I've got my personal favorite and that's one of the reasons I sell that maker's particularly.

Thanks Bruce, very informative.