TomG

Protecting Acrylic Paint

What can I use to 'harden' acrylic paint? I use it to highlight stamped letters on dog collars.
I realize that no paint will withstand scratching and such, but I'd like to make it as durable as possible.

I use my local version of 'Mop & Glo'. My version is water-thin but I think the US version is thicker and needs thinning with water. About 3 thinned coats will do. Any more than that and its starts to be too thick

47 minutes ago, fredk said:

I use my local version of 'Mop & Glo'. My version is water-thin but I think the US version is thicker and needs thinning with water. About 3 thinned coats will do. Any more than that and its starts to be too thick

I used the same as a sealer. Thinned 50/50 with water.
But, I stopped using that as I had a couple of reports that the paint flaked off with flexing. Now, I never was able to determine if it was from that or if I missed something on surface prep. I generally use a Q-Tip and some DA to clean the letters and let that dry thoroughly. I've also been known to lightly scuff or sand the tops of the letters to give the paint a place to grip better.

I just used 50/50 resolene, 1 to 2 coats on a painted dog collar.  Seemed to do well.

On 10/26/2022 at 6:23 PM, TomG said:

What can I use to 'harden' acrylic paint? I use it to highlight stamped letters on dog collars.
I realize that no paint will withstand scratching and such, but I'd like to make it as durable as possible.

if it hardens it will crack when bent  i put it on in thin layers the first thinned down so it will soak into the leather and adhere well then just thin layers until its as opaque as you want. thick paint cracks sometimes even on canvas. if your using a translucent paint then use white first as a base. then the sealer of your choice.