LadyWinifred

Need Help with Singer 45K25

I purchased a beautiful Singer 45K25 early last year (completely restored by someone on this site) and desperately need help before I can list it for sale.  It was working perfectly until the bobbin ran out of thread.  I have refilled the bobbin (hopefully correctly) and rethreaded the machine however the needle is not picking up the lower bobbin thread.  Perhaps I didn't thread the upper thread correctly?  I did fiddle with the tension knob a little bit before I ran out of thread due to the thickness of the leather I was sewing but don't know if that affected anything.  I am used to my cheap Brother fabric machine and not this monstrous antique beauty and am at a complete loss.  I will attach photos of how I have it threaded and I am crossing my fingers in hopes that someone can guide me on how to fix this.  Thank you in advance to anyone willing to help!  

IMG_5827.jpg

IMG_5828.jpg

IMG_5829.jpg

IMG_5830.jpg

I have a 45k.  The second picture shows thread behind tension disc should be between. Other issues needle timing and needle to far from the hook. If you can't fix let me know and I will check rising needle timing to hook.  If you have needle to far from hook you can bend needle bar where needle is inserted.  Not recommended but hey I only paid 50 bucks for the machine.

43 minutes ago, ljk said:

I have a 45k.  The second picture shows thread behind tension disc should be between. Other issues needle timing and needle to far from the hook. If you can't fix let me know and I will check rising needle timing to hook.  If you have needle to far from hook you can bend needle bar where needle is inserted.  Not recommended but hey I only paid 50 bucks for the machine.

Thank you - I will rethread between the tension discs tomorrow and see if this help.  

Read the manual - the thread on the lower tension unit is not going between discs it is wrapped around the pulley.

479169102_Tension45K(1).JPG.d4bcca06f50c0c036587da07a6866828.JPG

grafik.thumb.png.b135191b74bce78d3be33372b44260b2.png

grafik.png.3da6aa4134f58a346590132533d9662e.png

Edited by Constabulary

Also your thread is not coming out of the notch in the shuttle...

IMG_5830.jpg.e6960cf4034ac4d40ee67842ecfb3352.jpg

Even if you have the machine threaded with tension not right the hook would normally still catch the thread. My first place to look is to make sure the thread is not wrapped around the needle when you start and that the needle groove is directly to the left. If the needle groove is too far forward or backward then the loop that gets formed can be missed by the hook. A lot of the time people put the needle in the wrong way around and that is way too common a mistake.

Edited by RockyAussie

Thank you so much, everybody.  I have made the above suggestions and it seems to be catching now.  I can't even believe it!  Many thanks to everyone!!  :banana: