mixmkr

Seiko LSWN-8BL

Long time absent, but busy sewing!

I have a line on a Seiko LSWN-8BL...with a new hook, feed dogs, etc.  The owner apparently refurbishes older machines for resale. This comes with a servo, small pulley on the motor and table with knee lift.  At $950, and considering it runs and sews great...any opinions?  Really could use this particular style machine especially with the U size bobbin and long stitch length.

Realizing Seiko built the earlier Consews in Japan...but the name doesn't seem to have nearly the resale of a Juki or Consew.  Not looking to buy/sell myself, as I will keep it as long as I intend to keep sewing marine canvas.  But would entertain any thoughts.
Lastly...it appears this is probably the older version of this machine as the current seems to be the Seiko LSWN-8BL-3 (perhaps following the "1" and "2'")?

Seiko LSWN-8BL.jpg

You'll probably get lots of replies from more experienced folks here, but for what it's worth my feeling is that the price is (way) too high.  Good that it has a servo and table and knee lift, but it's an old machine which might be hard to get parts and service for.  Have you considered a brand new Sailrite LS-1?  Right now I see the base model can be had for about $675.  And the base LSZ-1 (with zig-zag) is about $850.  And Sailrite has outstanding customer support as well as how-to videos.  And wouldn't a portable offer you more potential for your sail repair business?  (Like right on the dock next to a boat?)

Among my machines I have an LSZ-1 Premium with their "WorkerB" motor and I absolutely love it.  Of course there is no one machine that will do everything for you, but if for some reason I had to choose only one of my machines to keep it would be the Sailrite.

Thx Biker...

Yeah...I have the portable mini walker...but actually never use it (see my signature).  I do have a wholesale account with Sailrite, so I can get a little off those prices.  That said...sewing on the docks isn't enough space and only invites conversation with what I am doing and hard to get work done.  But more so, the Sailrite stuff is too light duty for what I need.  Yeah...the price is a little steep...but I search A LOT for a machine...looking especially for a larger bobbin than my current Juki and a higher presser foot lift.  I figure 20 years isn't that old for a decent machine either.  My zig zag Singer is probably 75 years old and works great...as my 1970's (?) Juki LU562 does too.  Both great machines and I'd expect another 50 years out of both.  I'm hesitant ONLY because of the name, as parts are for the most part still available and interchangeable with similar machines.

5 hours ago, mixmkr said:

But would entertain any thoughts.

Since this is an older machine which I don't think is that common my main concern would be getting replacement parts at a reasonable price. The price to me seems on the high side for the amount of wear in the photo of both the machine and the table edge. But these days the price of everything particularly sewing use sewing machines are all over the place. To help determine the amount of wear on the machine are there any thread paths cut into any of the guides? Even though the machine has a larger size bobbin then your Juki LU-562 another consideration would be the max needle size is a #22 which would allow for V92 in thick material or V138 in thinner material.

If you can test drive the machine take a sample with the thickest material including seams and see how it works.

At the price, I would pass and look for Juki DNU-1541S, new (~$1800) or a similar clone or a more common good used machine where parts and accessories are really available.

kgg

Jumping in the conversation, I ended up driving to that seller and purchasing this machine. I am very happy with it so far. Was initially looking for a nice Consew 206. Purchased it and found PDF copies of the parts diagrams on Seiko website and a copy of the manual on Superior Sewing and Machine. It is virtually identical to the LSWN-8lb-2 and -3. The -3 has a different presser foot adjustment (not sure difference w/ -2 yet) Parts are completely available through various sources. Seiko was quick to respond via emails too. 

Seller was great and very knowledgeable. I seriously ended up spending 3 hours there learning about this machine and others. Most of it after the sale. He had good technical knowledge and shared a lot. I would not hesitate to deal with him again. In fact, we actually struck a deal on another item I saw this week over text. Paul services sewing machines and refurbishes them. 

My impression is the LSWN-8LB is it's a beefy flat bed machine. It looks built well and very similar to a Consew 255? Huge top loading U bobbins. I've stitched 2 to multiple layers of veg-tan, some belts, ect this week and it just goes. So far, my impression of Seiko is pretty good. If it stays this consistent, I'd buy another Seiko (new or used). 

Thanks for letting me interject.