Farmfield

Claes patcher stitch length adjuster (solved)

Edit: Solved. It looks like I'm missing some kinda rubber spacer thingie on the back. 

I need to understand the stitch length adjuster on the Claes patcher. On the one I have here I can only conclude it doesn't work, but I haven't been able to figure out how it works, mechanically, and it's hard to fix what I don't understand. 

Edited by Farmfield

Our member @shoepatcher can probably help you. He rebuilds Claes, Adler and Singer patchers here in Michigan, USA.

What CLAES model do you have? From the 200 / RPX onward there is a leather (or later) plastic block under the stitch length adjuster, make sure it is is present. If not feeding make sure the "Transportkeil" (see parts list) is not popped out of place. It should "hang" in the rim of the needle bar bushing in which the needle bar is going up and down in.

Just notice the the EDIT so forget it. ;)

On 10/28/2022 at 12:11 AM, Constabulary said:

What CLAES model do you have? From the 200 / RPX onward there is a leather (or later) plastic block under the stitch length adjuster, make sure it is is present. If not feeding make sure the "Transportkeil" (see parts list) is not poped out of place. It should "hang" in the rim of the needle bar bushing in which the needle bar is going up and down in.

Just notice the the EDIT so forget it. ;)

Yeah, noticed the block was missing, made one a so now it works. :D

pics of the machine?

glenn

3 minutes ago, shoepatcher said:

pics of the machine?

glenn

Here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/69e1qLTaMdGQ444J8

And I made a leather block for the stitch adjuster, though not in these pictures. 

Only thing is max stitch length seems to be 5mm while the stitch length adjuster is between 0 and 10mm. Not sure why it maxes out at 5 - even with the leather block removed, thus allowing the accentric thingie to its lowest position... 

10mm is not the stitch length. Rather consider it just as a scale. From my experience the model 200 (which you have) makes 6mm Stitches at max.

If you need a manual in English, I once translated one from German language and edited it a little bit (original source was an RPX manual but the 200 class are very similar). Send me a PM if interested.

Edited by Constabulary

7 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

10mm is not the stitch length. Rather consider it just as a scale. From my experience the model 200 (which you have) makes 6mm Stitches at max.

Sounds about what I get, so it is what it is, then. 

Any ideas where to get bobbins and/or bobbin case for this model?

Else I got some milling, lathe work and soldering ahead of me... :P

Edited by Farmfield

do you have a 200-1, 200-2 or 200-3 (lager prefix = lager hook)

CLAES is still making the bobbins so you should be able to get them from shoe machine dealers or other sewing machine dealers. If not check with CLAES, I once visited the plant and bought some spare parts straight from them. Nice folks, really! But shipping from Germany to to Sweden probably is a deal killer.

https://www.cl-maschinenbau.com/de/leistungen/naehmaschinen.html

Some (not all) parts from the latest 8346 are still the same as for the 200. When you check the 8346parts list all parts with 200 prefix are still the same. However the new hooks could be slightly different (thats what they told me).

Edited by Constabulary

3 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

do you have a 200-1, 200-2 or 200-3 (lager prefix = lager hook)

CLAES is still making the bobbins so you should be able to get them from shoe machine dealers or other sewing machine dealers. if not check with CLAES, I once visited the plant and bought some spare straight from them. Nice folks, really! But shipping from Germany to to Sweden probably is a deal killer.

No clue on the subclass, I haven't found any markings on it, but it's one of the smallest bobbins I ever seen, though a bit taller than the Singer 29 ones, I think. 

As for shipping, this machine was imported from Germany through Poland on a pallet with 3 other leather machines, haha, so shipping is a non issue. It was bought for resale. 

2 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

sounds like a 200-1

Bobbin diameter is 14-15mm.

Is there any numbers on the cover on the horn?  It would either be  an 81 0r 88.  Also, max. stitch length should be 7.5mm

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher

Just now, shoepatcher said:

Is there any numbers on the cover on the horn?  It would either be  an 81 0r 88

glenn

Nadel 81.

Good you brought this up. Any tips on replacement needles? As in, is there a more common needle close enough in size to be usable? I don't have any 81 needles so running it with a 135x17 mounted low right now. Sews like a dream, but pretty far from an optimal solution, haha... 

Needles available on line or from Toledo Sewing.  You need to determine the class first.  The 1 and 2 use system 81 needles, the 3 uses system 88.  Can we see a pic of the machine?

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher

3 minutes ago, shoepatcher said:

Needles available on line or from Toledo Sewing.  You need to determine the class first.  The 1 and 2 use system 81 needles, the 3 uses system 88.  Can we see a pic of the machine?

glenn

It's 81. And I haven't found anyone in Europe offering 81 needles aside from size 90 which is a bit to small to be very useful.

And here are some pictures and a demo video. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kayQktM8KSnmLwe5A