jbird

what do you do for a living

I am a patol Sergeant for a Sheriff's Office, Have 27 years in. Only 3 to go until retirement

I guess I did not get into much detail as the rest. I started leather in about 1972, I had an art teacher in grade school who taught a section on leathercraft and I caught the bug. Made my first pair of saddle bags that year, I still have them. At that time I knew no one else that done leatherwork so I had no one to teach me but Al Stohlam and his books. Over the years I kept at it making things for myself that I needed, family and friends. Then people started noticing the things I made and wanted them too. So my busines started by wearing what I made. Cell phones really got me going as I made a cell phone holder for my first cell phone and everyone wanted one. I lost count of the cell phone holders I have made. Started going to the IFoLG shows back in 2003 and got hooked even more, Sheridan in 2006 and I had a disese that was incurable. Leather is like and addiction to me, I am always looking for that next new tool! My son Riley got interested in what I was doing when he was 14 and started working leather also, He recieved the Ann Stohlman Youth Award for Achievement in Leathercraft in 2006. So I have a great friend to share my passion with in my son. We are the best of buddies and go everywhere together. He is gone to college now and I miss him sometimes (but the peace and quiet is nice too) but he comes home offen.

I am buinding a new shop that I hope to have done in the near future. I retire in 3 years from Law Enforcement and hope to build a few saddles and go to the shows and keep in touch with all my friends in leather.

Thanks Johanna for a great way for eveyone to share infomation.

Randy

I am an Ag Teacher by trade, but only sub'ed a few times before my crafts keep me to busy to get a "real job".

I am one of the very lucky ones, its not work if you love it as much as i do.

Diversity is the key to my success.

Leather Work, screen printing, sign making, awards, embroidery, if it is crafty I probably have the equipment to do it.

Seldom bored, always low on money but I am not money motivated.

My place is paid for, all my equipment is paid for, I don't owe any one any money.

Yes I am blessed.

Whats funny to me is when my husband passed away 12 yrs ago I took sometime off, but after 6 months I was so frickin bored I actually went into debt for a new business venture. It was very successful, but not as much fun as my crafts so after 3 yrs sold it too.

My main business varies from season to season. Summer I make most of my living printing t-shirts, fall making the leather covered boxes I do, winter a little of it all, spring is mainly signs (baseball fields etc) awards are all yr long.

This is a fun post thanks for starting it Josh.

kathy

Bree, don't worry. With your credentials, you won't be living out of a van any time soon. Your story rang true with me, though. I dodged that bullet myself 2 years before I retired. Never so scared in all my life. I was literally 3 days away from walking out the door with the box of personal effects in hand when they changed their minds and decided to let me stay. From that moment on, my theme song was, "I'm a survivor, I'm a survivor...." and nothing much mattered after that.

LOL! WE are survivors!

I am almost sad that they kept me around. I was prepared to go into my little leather business making stuff or should I say manufacturing stuff. And I still am ready. Just working out the bugs so that I can have a process that turns me into a fine production line worker.

Of course if sales are not great, I can always build a website for fast cash or do my other expensive specialty... write business plans for entrepreneurs looking to raise capital for their businesses. I spent 15 years doing that management consulting work so it's always good for paying some bills.

I am condemned to work until death so I have to have multiple ways to make my $$$... and ways not controlled by some big corporation's whims and caprice.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

I work for a large, purple, express package delivery company that flys large purple, orange and white aircraft. I started with them 25 years ago as an aircraft mechanic, and now spend most of my time watching others do the work. I am currently the on-site rep at one of our vendors who are converting passenger 757 aircraft into frieghters for us. I have worked in aviation all of my adult life, and have learned to hate airplanes!!! When I grow up, I am going to be a Fireman or a Cowboy.

Scott

:crazy:

Scott: I, too, hate airplanes. My hatred comes from spending thousands of hours in small planes in Alaska, travelling to remote places, often in bad weather, to investigate serious crimes or investigate PLANE CRASHES. If I never step on another plane again it won't bother me.

On a lighter note... This forum has such an amazingly diverse group of people and skills that we could start our own country! Let's elect Johanna as president of LeatherWorld!

Another former law enforcement officer. Four years as a bicycle cop in Klamath Falls, Oregon. Did a few years there as a Code Enforcement Officer also. Moved to Bozeman, MT and went to work for the Police Department doing parking enforecement. I had all teh abandoned vehicles towed and sold.

I now live in Lewistown, MT and get this, I am the Driver's License Examiner. I love the job almost as much as Leatherwork.

Raised in Nebraska on a ranch so I guess I have been around leather all my life, (in a way). Seven months on an Ag Exchange in Australia and learned to braid there. In Oregon, I met Mary Fields and learned rawhide from her. She is in the Bruce Grant books.

Here my shop is in the garage. I have two sewing machines, a couple of splitters, many stamping and hand tools. Everything I need but the time. I got a great deal on equipment a few years back and also was able to get a leave of absence from the City of Bozeman to go to Saddle Building School. God blessed me in that so I chose the name Rugged Cross Saddlery.

I have "met" many wonderful people on Leatherworker.net so Thank you Johanna. It's great that most everyone is willing to help each other.

Joe

Hey Bree- once upon a time my first husband got drunk, went to jail and I sold his motorcycle. It wasn't a very nice thing to do, but I had bills to pay and deposits to refund, and it had to be done. He begged me never to sell the tools, ever. He said as long as I had the tools, there would always be food on the table. I never had to sell the tools, and didn't think too much of it at the time.

But now years have passed, and I have kids to think about, and I look at the shop and smile to myself knowing that, no matter what, I will always be able to put food on the table and keep a roof over their heads because I have my tools. I would hand sew a thousand belts, or whatever, if that's what it took to keep my kids in warm clothes and sturdy shoes. Know what I mean?

Johanna

This has been a great thread glad every one joined in well tthere are lots of interesting folks in this band of leather worker.

Josh

YES JOSH.............

"A BAND OF BROTHERS AND SISTERS"

Hey Bree- once upon a time my first husband got drunk, went to jail and I sold his motorcycle. It wasn't a very nice thing to do, but I had bills to pay and deposits to refund, and it had to be done. He begged me never to sell the tools, ever. He said as long as I had the tools, there would always be food on the table. I never had to sell the tools, and didn't think too much of it at the time.

But now years have passed, and I have kids to think about, and I look at the shop and smile to myself knowing that, no matter what, I will always be able to put food on the table and keep a roof over their heads because I have my tools. I would hand sew a thousand belts, or whatever, if that's what it took to keep my kids in warm clothes and sturdy shoes. Know what I mean?

Johanna

LOL!! Yes I do.

Reminds me of one of my favorite songs... a blues tune by guitar god Jimmy Thackery called Cool Guitars. Google up the lyrics. It's kind of like reversed but who cares! And I can't post them on this family-oriented system! LOL!

I remember the last time I saw him play, the crowd was screaming out Cool Guitars!

:guitar::guitar::guitar:

>snicker< I still have his cool guitar. It's an old Guild, and I love to play it. Jon reminded me more of "The Pawnbroker" song by Tinsley Ellis. ("Collected unemployment, swore I couldn't find a job, been too busy holding up this bar stool when the bill collectors came to call..." Good to know there is another Jimmy Thackery fan here!

Johanna

Another former law enforcement officer. Four years as a bicycle cop in Klamath Falls, Oregon. Did a few years there as a Code Enforcement Officer also. Moved to Bozeman, MT and went to work for the Police Department doing parking enforecement. I had all teh abandoned vehicles towed and sold.

I now live in Lewistown, MT and get this, I am the Driver's License Examiner. I love the job almost as much as Leatherwork.

Raised in Nebraska on a ranch so I guess I have been around leather all my life, (in a way). Seven months on an Ag Exchange in Australia and learned to braid there. In Oregon, I met Mary Fields and learned rawhide from her. She is in the Bruce Grant books.

Here my shop is in the garage. I have two sewing machines, a couple of splitters, many stamping and hand tools. Everything I need but the time. I got a great deal on equipment a few years back and also was able to get a leave of absence from the City of Bozeman to go to Saddle Building School. God blessed me in that so I chose the name Rugged Cross Saddlery.

I have "met" many wonderful people on Leatherworker.net so Thank you Johanna. It's great that most everyone is willing to help each other.

Joe

You must have good nerves to be a new Driver Tester, that's all I can say!

Tony.

I am a little slow to responed, but here goes. At present time I am a butcher three days a week, a VA rep for two, a full time dad and husband, and a leather fanatic 24/7. Before all that I was a paratrooper in the army for four years until an unfortunate incident with the ground a fast blowing wind. Jeremiah

Hi all, I am born and raised on a Cow/Diary farm, with some farmanimals on the side, raised up with hunting and fishing.

I took the degree as a Cook and had been working as a cook for 8 years before getting a re-education (because of an injury) and took the degree as a Baker.I was working as a fulltime Baker up to last year when they closed down.

Today I work as a full time machineoperator at a chocolate factory, being responsible for moulding milkchocolate...

It pays relatively okay but it's one heck of a boring job... I really miss pastry, cooking and workin' in the kitchen!

I am also one of those who would want to become so skilled that I could put the hobby up as an extra income or hopefully a part time job if not full time...

And I'm looking for the recepy on a cake I tasted last time I was in the US, called "Oakey cake" or somthin' similar...??

Wow such wealth of experience. From the sheer talent you all display in your leather craft I would have pegged most of you for full time pros!

I am almost ashamed to admit that I have been a cue case maker for most of the last 18 years. However before that I was a professional high diver and an Air Force weather observer, that's right I got paid to watch and note the weather.

I consider myself to be a self-taught designer/engineer when it comes to making commercial goods. I seem to have a knack for figuring things out.

My "day job" is product designer and quality control person for Sterling Gaming. They were my customer when I owned a famous cue case company (famous in the world of pool) and when I sold that company they hired me.

I guess right now I am very lucky that I can combine both jobs as I design mass production cases for my employer and get to do custom cases for myself.

Anyway, this was a great thread to read and see the diversity and commonality among us all.

Edited by JohnBarton

Have been working with the NHS for 19 years as orthopeadic shoemaker/orthotic technician, always loved the job that is until I joined a Jacobite historical group and started making my own gear, friends asked if I can make them the same. Its went a bit mad working 20 hours a day ;-). Just hoping to do it full time and give up working for somebody else. Interesting backgrounds everyone.

I started working on my Uncle's father-in-laws farm at 11 years old for .25 an hr. The old man farmed tobacco, corn, soybeans, etc. After I got out of school, I went to work in the textile plants for 1.60 hr. I got tired of working for just about nothing, after taxes take home pay $48.00 a week for 40 hrs. I started working construction shutdowns in the 70's in Nuclear Power Plants, best work I ever had, when working for someone else. I did mostly that until 1996 when I went to work for A.O. Smith Water Products Co., which was the 2nd best working for the other guy job. Diabetes messed up my arteries and lungs in the late 90's and in 99 had 2 heart attacks, then the lungs damage caused me to have to go on oxygen in 2002, so they made me retire. I draw SS Disability and work on leather as a hobby. I don't sell anything as they won't allow me to make any money, but sometimes I do something for a donation, just to keep me in leather and tools, but ya'll know what I mean. I got interested in leather working in the mid 70's and have done it off and on since. Working with leather has to be the best hobby on the planet, I have never found anything else that gives as much fun and satisfaction as a piece of cowhide. When things are going bad get a piece of skirting and beat the living crap out of it, or take a piece and make a beautiful belt, wallet, etc. I still miss going to work at the Plant's and miss most of the people, but leatherworking helps keep me sane. Just a few thought from me, Billy P

I'm a full time Father and Husband. I play with electricity to pay the bills, and leather to satisfy the addiction.

Other jobs include, plumber, roofer, carpenter, gardener, part time wrangler, mechanic, dishwasher, cook, and cheuffer. Basically I work 'cause I have to, tool leather 'cause I love it, and spend the rest of my spare time fixing everything broker than me.

When I'm in the mood for a good chuckle, I like to watch Survivorman and Man Vs. Wild. I can't get through an episode without busting a gut from laughing so hard.

Edited by TwinOaks

Mike I to watch those shows don't belive every thing you see.

Josh

There good for laugh for sure

Mike:

I teach wilderness survival to recruits at the Alaska State Trooper training academy, so, when those survival TV shows first appeared I was keen to see what they had to offer. I stopped watching after a couple episodes.

I'm not saying those guys don't know what they're doing. But, for me, it seems like a lot of fluff and "Gee-whiz-that's-kinda-cool" tricks. I have to keep reminding myself that those guys are in the business of making TV shows. Without their self-created drama their shows would be pretty boring and they'd be out of a job.

If you're interested in seeing what real survival instructors teach, you might keep an eye out for a program on the National Geographic Channel. One of their film crews came with us on our last trip, in November. The show is still in production, but I'm told it will air sometime this spring. I don't yet know what the title will be.

There's also a History Channel program called "Tougher in Alaska - Arctic Troopers" which shows our survival training. That show has already been on TV. It's a great show about Alaska State Troopers, unfortunately the segment on the survival training is only about 7 minutes long.

Mike:

I teach wilderness survival to recruits at the Alaska State Trooper training academy, so, when those survival TV shows first appeared I was keen to see what they had to offer. I stopped watching after a couple episodes.

I'm not saying those guys don't know what they're doing. But, for me, it seems like a lot of fluff and "Gee-whiz-that's-kinda-cool" tricks. I have to keep reminding myself that those guys are in the business of making TV shows. Without their self-created drama their shows would be pretty boring and they'd be out of a job.

If you're interested in seeing what real survival instructors teach, you might keep an eye out for a program on the National Geographic Channel. One of their film crews came with us on our last trip, in November. The show is still in production, but I'm told it will air sometime this spring. I don't yet know what the title will be.

There's also a History Channel program called "Tougher in Alaska - Arctic Troopers" which shows our survival training. That show has already been on TV. It's a great show about Alaska State Troopers, unfortunately the segment on the survival training is only about 7 minutes long.

TrooperChuck

What can I say , I like to see that guy pick up a pile of elephant dung

and squeeze the moisture out of it right into his mouth. I mean come on

now that is entertainment at its best. I bet the guy on Bizarre Foods

probably choked watching that scene.

WINDY

Windy:

Oh my gawd... I'm glad I missed that episode!

And I'm looking for the recepy on a cake I tasted last time I was in the US, called "Oakey cake" or somthin' similar...??

What was it like? I've never heard of Oakey cake, but I'm willing to do some searches. I love baking.

I grew up near a municipal airport in Michigan and dreamed of flying. In high school I dreamed of being an aeronautical engineer. Instead, since I was in the Motor City and not an aviation area, I ended up studying automotive design and engineering and manufacturing technology for a year or so. I quickly figured out that Math is not MY friend so my first degree ended up being in Pyschology! Go figure! It seems that there are many more pretty girls than guys in Psychology classes and if you take enough of them you end up with a degree! I worked as a teen counselor in a psychiatric hospital for a year or so and then as a drug/alcohol counselor for a year or so. After getting married a friend got me into computers and I didnt look back. I sold computers for a few years before I figured out that I enjoyed playing with them more. I got into desktop support then into network infrastructure support and finally IT Management.

Today I manage ERP software projects. God only knows what's next but at the moment He is whispering and I am hard of hearing! LOL! If I could figure out a way to combine cooking, shooting, Christian Praise music and leatherwork I might finally have one of those jobs where people say that they love what they do so much that its not work! :-)

If I could figure out a way to combine cooking, shooting, Christian Praise music and leatherwork I might finally have one of those jobs where people say that they love what they do so much that its not work! :-)

Well, you could raise cattle, shoot them when mature, skin and tan the hide and cook the meat while listening to Christian music, then pound on the leather when the tannage is complete!!! It sounds like a circle of life!! :spoton: