jbird

what do you do for a living

Retired combat soldier (US Army 12/81 to 9/06) with combat service in EVERY operation during that time frame. Now spend at least 8 hours per day as an armed bodyguard for a very prominent person in my area. Have been doing leatherwork much longer than my service time though and no matter where in the world I was my tools were always by my side. And for those who are curious, Camel hide is not very good to work with. :crazy:

I started as a lab technician, and worked my way up to be a pilot plant manager for a large food company, making small samples for tasting, testing, and other trials,before going on to make large batches. I quite enjoyed the work but eventually I was made redundant and took a while to find another job. In my fifties I got a job as a chef/cook at a nursing care home for old people, but at a drop in pay from that of a manager.

I suspect this cycle of redundancy followed by long term unemployment and low paid work will be familiar to a lot of people in UK and USA.

In Britain, when you reach 60 you are entitled to free travel on buses, though they have since increased the age threshold. I was already claiming a moderate private pension, and I worked out that if I gave up my car and used my bus pass, I could afford to retire early. Given the choice of living cheaply and not working, or working and not enjoying it, there was no argument.

I will be 65 next year and able to claim my State Pension, so that will be a welcome addition to the coffers.

Somewhere along the way I fancied knife - making, and when I retired I had the time to do it. I always knew that I would need to make sheaths, but I hadn't realised how involved that would be if you wanted to do it properly. I had already made a few sheaths when, by Surfing The Net, I found this forum fairly recently. So far I am restricting myself just to sheaths, and fighting against any more leatherwork, but perhaps....

I am retired due to disability, but when i did work it was as a construction site labourer, i wish i could say something a bit more exciting or glamorus than that but there it is, it did pay the bills and feed my familly though but as far as job satisfaction and excitement goes there was none of that.My dream now is to become good enough at leathercraft to maybe sell some pieces one day, but as i have discovered i have a lot of learning to do before that is going to happen but at least i have hope.Peace.

I am a harems guard at the kings island in the far away land of dayreamers.....

I am a harems guard at the kings island in the far away land of daydreamers.....

Really? Are you aware that the guards for harems were eunuchs? That means they were castrated, and often had their penis cut off as well

far away land of daydreamers.....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Really? Are you aware that the guards for harems were eunuchs? That means they were castrated, and often had their penis cut off as well

Tho I do not believe the eunuch part was in the dream :)

Time to bump this thread again!

I am a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Ontario Canada. My first trade was Power plant engineering after a lay off at a local hospital and the death of my mother (almost 20 years ago) I decided to take up an electrical apprenticeship due to having nothing to talk about with my dad. He backed me in every facet of life so the least I could do was to learn what he did for a living to support the family- well 20 years later his pride is telling everyone about his kids- yes even me.

He was the one to even plant the seed of leather working at a young age when we had horses and bought my the basic kit for leather working from Tandy. Years later and stressed out I decided to find a hobby and I'm back- thanks to relearning and rediscovering leather working, I have my sanity back and feel more relaxed than any vacation could ever provide. It's therapeutic to me, yet enjoyable by meeting so many people here.

Now as I read the previous posts, what's everyone else's story???

Edited by TheModifier

Ok, I'll play.....

Teenager, started working in leather. First job, in an office, gave it up as I've never been so bored in my life. Somewhere in between, I got my first motorbike, and met my first husband.

Worked as a motorcycle courier for a bit, then a bit of care work in various nursing homes. Got a job with a medical research group as a driver (that was a wierd job), and divorced first hubby.

Became a sef-employed house cleaner, met 2nd hubby, and started a furniture restoration business. More care work (at night) while building paint stripping business during the day.

Started a little hobby/business a few years ago making accessories for the metal detecting scene, and have been pretty busy at that. Got back into leatherwork last year, and have sold a surprising amount of items in the last few months. This is good, because I've reached a point where the morgage is paid, and I really, really, cannot stand my day job anymore (self-employed, stripping paint from wood in peoples' homes. Money great, but really hard work for a 'mature' woman to be doing).

I now plan to sail off into early retirement, poor, but happy, making detecting, and leather goods.

I semi retired this year at 55. I still teach saddlery and leatherwork. This involves traveling to India Argentina America Holland etc. I also bought a building in Dunoon Scotland to teach from. I also help companies to develop new products On top of that I develop properties. My bio can be seen on www.uksaddlery.com

I'm a cook at a major university and am also attending said university part time. I'm going back to school because I'm a little bit of a masochist, and it might help me advance and lay the foundation for starting a brewery with my husband in the future.

I'm a computer programmer for a Japanese company. Leatherwork is my escape from the computer screen and virtual reality... nothing like getting home from work, sitting down with a glass of scotch and making something real with my hands.

I work part time as an upholster for an airline company, the rest of the time I run my leatherwork business.

I am self employed at several agricultural and outdoor related jobs. My spring and summertime work is beekeeping. I run about 400 hives so I'm very small time, just a step above hobby status but its enjoyable work. I do a bunch of custom farming during that same timeframe, mostly corn and hay planting and production for the dairy guys.

Come September, I am a hunting guide for big game critters here in the Rockies. Bighorn sheep, mtn goats, deer, elk, antelope, moose, and mountain lion keep me busy through December. From January thru March I do some contract depredation trapping and catch/collar mountain lions for the state research project on lion-vs-human interaction along our front range.

Blessed to spend my daylight (and many times dark) hours in the outdoors, I haven't worked in the last 10 years!

Now I am retired and filling my time with building and playing lap dulcimers, leathercrafting, diddling with ham and shortwave radios, weekend RVing (we RVed full time for 10 years when we first retired) and I still do a little boat upholstery for some extra money. I really don't know how I ever found time to work----I was an aircraft auto and marine upholsterer. Art

I earn a living as a mediator and negotiation consultant. In my former lives I worked as a sheep shearer and goat farmer (angora goats). I raise bees, not so successfully lately, practice photography and walk a lot. My partner is a wildlife rehabilitator and she employs me as the porcupine and possum wrangler. As a side benefit, once I pull the quills out, i get some good photos.

John

My opinion about why this site is so great, is the fantastic diverse people on it. It's a pleasure and honor to be part of it.

I am in the aviation industry as a pilot for a Fractional Ownership company.

After college I joined the army as a Warrant Officer, flying the Apache attack helicopter. Which was a good machine to be in during combat operations, Desert Shield/Storm.

After that I flew for a commuter airline in Florida for 6 years, before my current job for the last 16 years, flying the 1 percenters around on their business.

Got into leather crafting while looking at forging metal. After watching some videos of knife sheaths being made decided forging would be too hot,loud,and dirty( plus would probably make the neighbors unhappy).

Anyway that's what I do when not doing leathercrafting. I just married off one daughter and have two more to go, so another words, I'll never get to retire, but aiming for 2025.

Interesting thread! so, I'll add it to.

I work at a stainless steel tubing plant, as the Safety Coordinator. Been there almost 29 years now - worked in production much of that time. I enjoy focusing on safety and the fact that the role gives me more freedom to move around rather than being stuck at a machine. It's not bad. I enjoy it, but even more I enjoy many hobbies, including gardening, old VWs, leatherwork and more. I'm more motivated by life than by money, but I do sometimes wish I was born rich instead of good looking. :crazy:

Bob

My first job was digging ditches during the summer for my dad's irrigation business. I then started working at the newspaper and did that until I graduated high school. After that I worked at a bank in the stock and printing department. In 1978 I started my career as a firefighter/paramedic. Like most in the profession I always had a second job which varied from delivering for Sears to maintenance at

a condo on the beach. My favorite part time job was as a flight medic on a trauma/advanced care helicopter at a Trauma Center.

Retired in 2005 but due the downturn in 2008 I now find myself employed as an ICU monitor tech at the local hospital.

Edited by ChriJ

Very cool to hear that everyone is proud of what they do.

When I'm not making leather I work full time as a sailmaker. I'm currently the youngest production manager in North America to be In a sail lof at 28 years old. . We build everything from your tiny Hobie sailboat to the 200 foot racing yacht. I've been doing it now for 7 years and love it.

I've worked in law enforcement, wildlife management and air traffic control.

Took ten years off from that and had a home based business making custom gear for action figure collectors - lots of leather items, etc.

Currently I am full time correction officer and part time armed guard for an armored truck co.

i don't like to think I work for anybody...I just show up and do stuff for them and in turn, they give me free money. It's a good arrangement.

Hi Guys. This is my first post so I get to introduce myself.. For a lot of years I worked as a mirror man in Fla mirroring yachts The BIG expensive one....Barbara Mandrel, Fram oil filters, Rothschild's. Then I went to college at 39 and became a machinist and worked for Rockwell eng. First few yrs on machines making gears then moved into QC. Quit that Built a woodworking shop remodeled an 1891 two story house for about 5 yrs. Now I work at a hospital as an anesthesia tech and in the process of designing work shirts.

well I used to be a chef... Now I am a full time leather artisan for a local company ...

Hi everyone, I am qualified and certified technical Russian translator/linguist, creative and technical writer, spent 15 years working for Oil and Gas Industry, but lately I found extremely difficult to find any job that would fit kids, house and my hobbies. Practically you can call me full time mum and unlimited time leatherworker (if I start counting hours I work as the leatherworker and compare them to how much I am paid I will go mental :rofl: .

Hi folks,

I'm with the workforce team.. We manage how many people get hired and how many are scheduled to work in a certain time of the day to do a certain workload. I'm not more than 5 years yet on this Job, and this is my first Job.. Still approaching 30's :)