jbird

what do you do for a living

I am a retired postal clerk now my hobby turned into a full time job making pocket holsters

www.mecopocketholster.com

Retired Army Officer retired in 1990, Retired from a Large Defense Contractor March 1, 2012 where I was the VP, Logistics Services Group. On Social Security and a Disabled Combat Veteran from the Viet Nam era. Now I lose money operating Chief's Leather Works but I'm having a ball.

Chief

Edited by Chief31794

Technical editor and general screwball.

Non-paying positions that I consider my other job(s) are volunteering in Scouts, Venturing, OA, and Lions.

Currently the tool maker for a CNC screwmachine shop in Southern Utah-commute in from Nevada.

Also worked for;

a machine gun dealer

Jelly Belly candy co as graveyard shift mechanic

Gunsmith

Automotive lift technician

Dental metals foundry

Owned and operated a small machine and fab shop

A small machine shop, and a wire display company.

Correctional Officer for the last 15 years!

Registered Nurse and doing travel assignments currently...........................until I can afford to retire and do leather and fish!!!:deadsubject:

Registered Nurse and doing travel assignments currently...........................until I can afford to retire and do leather and fish!!!:deadsubject:

Disabled rancher and ranch foreman. Grew up doing it, done it for over 35 years. Now own a saddleshop and would trade it straight across for a ranch job a 60+ man could hold down. Enjoy leatherwork and trade on some machines but cattle ranching has always been my passion. Legally disabled, old enough for Social Security but have never drawn disability and haven't signed up for SS. Take some pride in that. Don't know why, but I do.

Wow! All you guys have what my mother would call "a real job!" I left home when I was 15 and ran off to the big city of Toronto, Ontario. Had jobs in doughnut shops, restaurants, bars blah blah blah..Then a friend of mine took me to Greenwood Raceway to see the North America Cup, and it was all over for me! I started working in the backstretch the next day, and horses have been the love of my life ever since:) That was 1989, and I have smelled questionable for many years LOL

My precious harness racing is now in jepardy in Ontario, thanks to Dalton McGuinty and his Liberal government, there will be 60,000 of us out of work when they shut down racing here in March 2013:( I now run a breeding farm with 40 mares, that will also be unemployed when that time comes..

But, I believe that I am one of the lucky ones, as I have a small business on the side that will hopefully keep a roof over my head and a little gas in my truck. Leatherwork has become a large part of that business, and it is a wonderful stress reliever to boot. Everything in my life up to this point has been very utilitarian..truck that works, house that the roof doesn't leak, boots that don't leak..nothing with any beauty to it. Leather has changed that..it turns out that I am capable of making beautiful things that I am quite proud of-not anywhere near the greatness that I see on this forum, but I do love learning every day.

Thanks to everyone on this forum, for showing me that there is more to life than just surviving, and that sitting at my bench for hours(making mistakes!) fills up a void that I didn't even know was there!

Wow this is a cool post, lots of people sharing great stories and their experience. Right now I am Inventory control / Quality Manager for a major aftermarket automotive glass distributor. Have worked in the music industry, production manager, stage crew and promotions. Team rope and golf on the side.

Downfall of reading all these threads is I am supposed to be setting up the new work area at the new house. But you guys are to dang interesting!!

Monday to Friday 8.30 to 4.30 I'm an Orthotic Technician, making orthotic shoes, calipers and insoles for hospital patients. Great work! The real job ( hobby) starts around 18.30 to as long as I can before I get the call for bed, the next 8 hours is dreaming of what to make next!

I am a soldier, currently deployed to Afghanistan.

I am a design engineer for cellular telephone networks. I have been doing that for about 12 years. Before that I was an aircraft avionics technician for 8 years in the Air Force.

Edited by mojoewrkn

Finally read through this post and figured I'd post my story too. I started in leather when I was a kid in 4-H. Worked at the local saddle shop while in high school. However, the rodeo bug had me bitten pretty bad and that's all I wanted to do. Went to college out of high school. Stayed for 5 weeks. Hit the road to become a big time bullrider. Too bad I didn't realize I couldn't ride a stick horse through K-Mart. Rode bulls professionally for about 6 years, taking any odd jobs I could find along the way (picking oranges in FL, working road construction, working for stock contractors, etc., etc). Each job lasted just long enough for me to get enough money together to hit the road again. Discovered another talent along the way...announcing rodeos. I figured I could announce some small rodeos, earn some money, and keep entering. Not too bright. Finally realized that I was getting paid everytime I picked up a microphone, and was never sore afterward. Hung up my bullrope in 1986 and turned my attention to announcing full time. Been a professional rodeo announcer ever since. I now announce rodeos, horse shows, bullridings, etc.. Anything that comes with a check. However, because of my inability to "play the political game" I found myself still not really making much of a living announcing. Maybe there's still too much bullrider left in me...LOL. Anyway, about4 or 5 years ago I started getting back into leather a little more serious. Since then, I've gotten lots of orders and now the leather business is becoming a nice second income for me. I don't know if the combination of rodeo and leather will ever make me rich, but for now it keeps the lights on most of time. I'm blessed to have always been able to chase my dream with the help of my family and friends. I'm also proud to say that I've instilled that in my kids too. My oldest son is in college in TX on a full ride rodeo scholarship and is wanting to chase his dream too. Hopefully, I can share my knowledge with him (and he'll listen) so that maybe he won't take all the dumb detours I did along the way. Be blessed everyone.

Industrial chemist/engineer/..QA Manager....9 years in pharmaceuticals/hospital supply [baxter NZ]...23 years in drywall/building products manufacturing.

Retired from selling truck parts to truckers.

Learning now how to speak without a cuss word in every sentence

and bothering a certain leather craftsman.

Forgot , helping brewers keep there jobs.

D**n for got spell check had to redo.

Joe Stew

Edited by Stewart

floyd,

You need something sent to you over there for leather work, or anything else, you let me know.

PM me with what you need an where to send it.

No, I won't send you my new Cowboy stitcher. :)

Jake

I am a soldier, currently deployed to Afghanistan.

Edited by SooperJake

I have been an industrial sewing machine mechanic for the last 32 years. I have also been a locksmith and safe technician for 17 years. While working fulltime at one, I had a business doing the other. I'm currently the head mechanic for a contract sewing factory. I also did a 6 year stint as a factory manager with 90 employees. I still locksmith on the side and work on safes, most of them gun safes.

Regards, Eric

I joined the US Navy in 1967 did 20 years, Retired Shipfitter Chief .

Went to civil service 24 years, same type work heavy plate,various ship repair,

Now I'm really Retired, I havn,t figgered out yet how I ever had time to go to work LOL.

Been pounding on hide for almost two years ,have sold a few biker wallets , day planners and wrist bands, all for fun and I thank all of you-all for your help. I ride a Harley to.

I spent about 12 years riding bareback horses, started raising a few bucking bulls, clowning some shows, then decided I should get a real job when I got too old and fat to be in the money and diesel fuel got up to $5 a gallon. Also spent a couple of years as a detective at my local police department, then got a job as a 911 coordinator. Decided that didnt pay enough so I took a job with the National Park Service. I repair tack, build a few holsters, belts, and such in my spare time to help supplement things.

Almost forgot, I am the chief wood cutter, splitter, taste tester, and firebuilder at my wifes smoked meats/bbq restaurant.

Before I became disabled I was a Master Pipe Welder/fitter Boilermaker

and owned my own dragster and motorcycle chassis shop

before I became a welder I worked as a saddlemakers apprentice that is where I learned how to do leather work from one of the best saddle makers in the state of Tennessee.

I have been a professional donut eater for the last 18 years, but I have also worked as a bicycle mechanic, at a large gun shop, a teacher and a martial arts instructor. I am currently a patrol sergeant and I am in charge of my department's firearms training program. I can't wait to retire and make leatherwork my full time business.

Mike

I'm a Operations Manager for a 3rd Party Logistics company...

Fancy name for a low paying, pain in the you know what, job.

Actually I can't complain too much I have a great bunch of people working for me... I think they are the only reason I am still on the job!!

I have a pretty eclectic professional background. I did close-up magic professionally for many years, when I was young, but couldn't justify the travel after my daughter was born. Worked a few years as an aircraft fuel operator. I then started working as a pfofessional photographer after a friend taught me the craft. Then I went to college, got an A.A.S. in Criminal Justice. Became a police officer in a small town in Colorado after living in Los Angeles and Seattle most of mylife until then, 1995/ While a cop, I went back to school, finished a B.S. in Bus Management, then started a M.A. in Psych. I got promoted to detective for a few years. After several years in law enforcement, I wanted to use my Psych stuff more, so I became a counselor at a Juvenile Prison, counseling S.O.'s I also opened a wedding photog business while working at the prison. When that got really busy, I left the prison on did wedding photog professionally for a few years. During that time, my health went down hill, I can no longer work. So, my wife works and I supplement making leather goods.

Custom Gunmaker. Mostly high grade bolt action rifles.