Gezzer

Practice carving and

decided to experiment with some dye.  Neither of these is much to look at and the flower for a box bottom is a flop ( won't try that again). The bear claw not too bad , I antiqued with out sealing ( on purpose )to see how it looked and it might be of use somewhere down the road .

IMG_1809.JPG

IMG_1797.JPG

Both of them look just fine. The bear track came exceptionally nice.

7 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

Both of them look just fine. The bear track came exceptionally nice.

Thanks  , the bear track is growing on me but the color of the flower and how I dyed it was just a mistake . 

I like the effect on the flower. I've seen wood carving on chair backs that had the same look. Reversed kind of like looking at a photo negative.

8 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

I like the effect on the flower. I've seen wood carving on chair backs that had the same look. Reversed kind of like looking at a photo negative.

Well maybe it will grow on me .  I'm still playing , this one is  oiled ,dyed , antiqued  and then sealed . I think this is what I may be after ,  more so than the undyed look on the track . Also this piece is a little " flanky " and I kind of like that .

IMG_1837.JPG

Edited by Gezzer

i like all three, the bear track is my favorite though those blemishes in the leather add to the look.

I like them all. Keep on playing.

2 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i like all three, the bear track is my favorite though those blemishes in the leather add to the look.

I " assume " those to be bug bites but I don't know . Most of the leather I have fooled with usually  has a few  but the shoulder this came out of has quite a lot .

33 minutes ago, doubleh said:

I like them all. Keep on playing.

Thank you !! 

Well  with fall here I decided to do a some leaf practice  . I am going ahead and post this carving as I haven't started to finish yet . I think that's THINK I have come uo with a cool way to finish it . I will post it up as I go and it will either work and look good or be a TOTAL mess . Either way I show it .  May take a few days to get 'r done !

IMG_1838.JPG

IMG_1839.JPG

I was going for orange but didn't quite make it . I am going to have to get some Eco-Flo water based dye ( I have 3 colors of Fiebings and like those but can' t get enough colors out of them )  This will be close enough for proof of concept . Still a couple or 3 more steps ..... boy I hope this don't flop:(

IMG_1847.JPG

Edited by Gezzer
kan't spell

Nice work on the textured bevel!  Looks like you've got that technique down. 

@DJole Thank you !

@tsunkasapa  Thank you !!

Little more dye , when it is dry just antique  and seal

IMG_1850.JPG

Ok , finished up and it turned out pretty good . Not exactly what I had seen in my minds eye but real close . Looks like I need to work on my pear shading though .

IMG_1852.JPG

IMG_1861.thumb.JPG.060c6d80670ece9efd81093d86f27d03.JPG

IMG_1863.JPG

Very nice! Oak leaves are one of my favorite subjects to carve.

@tsunkasapa Thanks !  I got a ways to go on the pear shading ..... off now to watch some youtube;)

If I may suggest, rather than a straight line put some curve to it for more 'flow'. Also practice 'fading' it in and out, if that makes sense.

12 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

If I may suggest, rather than a straight line put some curve to it for more 'flow'. Also practice 'fading' it in and out, if that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense ,  I just lack enough knowhow and an eye for ( well a lot of things ) the shading .  Thanks for your help as always :thumbsup:

well I am still trying to figure out the shading , this is just oiled and sealed 

IMG_1866.JPG

IMG_1868.JPG

That shading looks good. I think you are getting the hang of it! Keep up the good work.

1 hour ago, sparctek said:

That shading looks good. I think you are getting the hang of it! Keep up the good work.

Thank you !

It looks like you are getting it figured out. But don't be afraid to take it a bit further. I'm not a pro by any means, but look at these

IMG_20211210_093733aaa.jpg

2 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

It looks like you are getting it figured out. But don't be afraid to take it a bit further. I'm not a pro by any means, but look at these

IMG_20211210_093733aaa.jpg

Now see , that is how I want mine to look !  I am gonna keep practicing and if I get one to look like yours as Arnold says   " I'll be back " :lol:

9 hours ago, Gezzer said:

Now see , that is how I want mine to look !  I am gonna keep practicing and if I get one to look like yours as Arnold says   " I'll be back " :lol:

hit it a little harder to get those impressions deeper, make your main veins two sided instead of just one cut. you are doing great just light on the maul IMO.