Brokenolmarine

Tip of the Hat to Tandy

I have to thank our local Tandy Leather Supply.  I have to drive two hours to get to the shop, and I called on Monday to let the manager know I would be driving up on Wednesday and asked if she would mind having them pull the items I would need so I wouldn't arrive and find they "Just sold the last of that color yesterday. Too bad you didn't call."  She said she was happy to, but she would be off on Wednesday.  I told her I was really disappointed, as I had really benefited from her help and advice on my last visit and wanted to get her help in choosing some leather for an upcoming project.

"What time do you think you will be in on Wednesday?"

I told her I'd be in around noon but not to put herself out, I'm sure the staff and I would get by.  She told me to email the list of items and the leather needs from the pattern: The Thumbhole sling someone posted here recently... she'd see to it.

I walked thru the doors at Tandy at 1145am on Wednesday and she grinned at me from behind the counter.  She said she was going to meet her niece for lunch after "our" visit.  We found the Dyes I needed to replenish my stocks, she had set them aside and they were all there.  She had laid out three pieces of leather that met my size requirements.  I bought two they were so nice.  She had put aside a nice suede for backing.  In the basket.  She found a tool I needed to add to the tool bar in my shop.  I came close to adding a burnishing machine, but it wasn't on sale and hand burnishing will do me for now.  I can't justify the cost even with the discount she offered.  :thinking:  I managed to get out the door under $300 but I'm good for several months.  I had checked on line and their prices for the dye were significantly lower for the same exact item than all the other suppliers.  By swinging by while I was in town on other business, I didn't have to wait on the items to be shipped. (Free for a sale over $150)  I got to inspect the leather I purchased, two large pieces of 6/7 vegtanned.  60x36 side (you know, approximate)  And I had the pleasure of the manager's company.  Next time I am up, I will stop in and take advantage of one of her classes.  Improve my carving skills.

Service ..... a thing of days gone by .  

Sounds like the lady values her customers  !!  Glad you found all of your needs and are ready to get busy :spoton:

My Tandy store is much the same with the same kind of manager.

It's a joy to deal with them.

May God bless,

Dwight

:thumbsup: 

I seldom visit Tandy because it is a 2 hour drive one way for me also plus I hate to deal with the traffic in that city. The las time I was there was nice as my daughter that is well acquainted with the place drove me there and back. All I had to do was sit back and watch and we went by Tandy as I wanted to look at their exotic leather supply and stamp selection. Neither was great but the young lady minding the store was very helpful. It was kind of a bust as I left with only a stingray skin and one stamp.

Edited by doubleh

Thanks for that positive post.  I've visited Tandy Leather stores in Kansas City, MO, Wichita, KS, Omaha, NE and of course my hometown of St. Louis, MO.   All were staffed with friendly, helpful staff.    

I had a really positive experience with the Tandy in (I think it was Cleavland) I was sent two splitter blades, one of em had a small nick in the center of the blade, these blades are not cheap! I was sent a replacement,  so now I have a total 4  blades. Although one has a small Imperfection, I’m sure it can be resharpened, where should I send em? I’m in NC, international knife and saw is a bad choice!

Edited by Doc Reaper
Grammar

3 hours ago, Doc Reaper said:

I had a really positive experience with the Tandy in (I think it was Cleavland) I was sent two splitter blades, one of em had a small nick in the center of the blade, these blades are not cheap! I was sent a replacement,  so now I have a total 4  blades. Although one has a small Imperfection, I’m sure it can be resharpened, where should I send em? I’m in NC, international knife and saw is a bad choice!

I use a planer blade jig, a piece of glass and some wet/dry sandpaper to sharpen mine.  Works great.

I use the jig and touch mine up on a fine diamond hone. The sandpaper is also excellent, especially when you sharpen a brand new blade and want to change the angle a little. Take the finish up to around 1500 grit and there is little stopping to do. It is also just as good on any knife blade. I learned the sandpaper method many years ago from an article in Popular Mechanics written by a professional knife sharpener. It was titled "Scary Sharp" and they are when done right.