Talisien

45Ks.V83 Reno & Questions??

As mentioned in another section of the forum, I acquired this 45Ks.V83 last week from FB marketplace.

Made in 1916 with three generations in one family, I was so damn excited to find a machine preserved in almost working order. Was also fascinated as the seller shared their family story. 

I had been looking for a cylinder arm to assist with my work for over eight months. Being an avid Singer fan for over 30 years had me scrambling to make to 1100km trip to pick up this beastie. :thumbsup:

The renovation went well. Before I had picked up the machine I had some vague dreams of mounting it back on a treadle stand. Two things brought this to an end.

• 1) the weighted flywheel on the original stands is very rare here in oz. Found some stands but alas not the 2 or 3-geared wheel.
  • 2) when I got the machine the motor and gearing setup was endearing for its history and age. The cast iron stand was also an Australian-manufactured frame.

Some questions I hope to share and explore with the talented brains trust here =

• 1) Can anyone shed light on this version?? 45Ks.V83?  The 'V83' is not listed in any archive I can find  from Singer at the time (serial no. lists it from the Clydebank Factory. 1916. One of 1500 45k. Quite a big batch. Gearing up for war manufacturing????)
  • 2) Any light on the 's'. Had assumed it was 'Saddler' but only as I had seen it in the factory inventories occasionally. As Stewey mentioned this is unlikely as most of these would enter the saddlery trade regardless. Agree that it could mean 'special' but am wondering is others might have insight.
  • 3) the rectangle work plate has also been hard to find in manuals and catalogues from the time. Stewey also mentioned he had these on his. Is it possible that these were for the Australian market or do others have these plates?? Oval is listed in special order lists from the period. 

Anyhoo... Adding images of the reno for those interested in the Singer 45K and the next person who might be looking for anything on these wonderful leather stitchers. .

Big thanks for this site and the effort everyone has put in to support the community and subject.

All the best.

45K-small-1.jpg

45K-small-2.jpg

45K-small-3.jpg

45K-small-4.jpg

45K-small-5.jpg

45K-small-6.jpg

45K-small-7.jpg

More progress pics

45K-small-8.jpg

45K-small-9.jpg

45K-small-10.jpg

45K-small-11.jpg

45K-small-12.jpg

45K-small-13.jpg

45K-small-14.jpg

45K-small-15.jpg

And the last

45K-small-16.jpg

45K-small-17.jpg

45K-small-18.jpg

45K-small-19.jpg

Video of the first run after reno.

Wow! What a treat to see this beautiful old machine in running condition! Nice renovation and you have a really neat shop!

21 minutes ago, suzelle said:

Wow! What a treat to see this beautiful old machine in running condition! Nice renovation and you have a really neat shop!

Thank you suzelle. It was a privilege to rejuvenate this machine and the workshop is definitely my happy place. All the best :)

It friggin' sounds brand new! Congrats!

:wub: I love these old Singer 45K´s - they are super reliable machines when properly set up!

A few years a go I restored a Singer 45D91 - yes "D" not "K" cause it was made in Wittenberge, Germany prior 1945 instead of Kilbowie, Scottland.

Still have mine and I love it. This was my restoration:

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/72789-singer-45d91-restoration

SV means special variant - that could be a prototype of a later standard machine or a machine that came with some special accessories (compared to the standard models) or a machine set up to customer specs for a special sewing purpose. Unfortunately there are no valid data on SV machines so all that is just guessing from what we have "observed here and there".

We once started collecting the Singer SV models and information in this thread:

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/71738-singer-sv-machines

Maybe you can add some pictures of your machine too.

Just from the pictures - it looks like your 45K has a different rest for the regulator spring (accessible from the out side while the "standard" rests are mounted on the foot bar clamp behind the face plate )and also a smaller / lighter hand wheel like the ones you find on 132K / 133K´s as it seems. Everything else looks like the plain 45K`s.

Edited by Constabulary

4 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

It friggin' sounds brand new! Congrats!

Thank you :) coming from your ear that is very encouraging. It was a privilege to bring this one back. 

3 hours ago, Constabulary said:

:wub: I love these old Singer 45K´s - they are super reliable machines when properly set up!

A few years a go I restored a Singer 45D91 - yes "D" not "K" cause it was made in Wittenberge, Germany prior 1945 instead of Kilbowie, Scottland.

Wow! What a travel story your 45D91 must of had. Fascinating time for the company in Prussia over the wars. Extraordinary that the factory spanned both.  Oh to be a fly on the wall when all that unfolded. Safer as a fly :wacko:

I have found plenty of reference to the production halt in 1939 for WW2 but less for WW1  

The 45k production run in 1916 that my v83 serial no. places it in was a particularly large run. Over double the output from previous years!?! 
I speculated that this might have been caused by extra military orders and/or in preparation for the factory to pivot towards munitions manufacturing?

4 hours ago, Constabulary said:

We once started collecting the Singer SV models and information in this thread:

Fantastic! I might take some more targeted pics of the different mods you mentioned above and do just that. Well done on exploring, collecting and archiving what you have all found. Priceless :wub:

All the best

Very nice!  Beautiful work.

1 hour ago, jrdunn said:

Very nice!  Beautiful work.

Thank you. It was a very pleasing project and I am a bit excited to get back to my canvas work with this shiny new workmate tomorrow.  Last week fell wholeheartedly into this reno. My justification was the tent I am supposed to be finishing had 14 leather patches that I couldn’t possibly sew with the k6. :lol:

all the best