ChipperBags

First Leather Project

This was my first real leather project and the one that got me so excited to do leatherwork.

I made this bag for my sister’s Birthday.  She has yet to receive it.  It is an original design, something simple, no hardware, but relatively tough.

I made this bag on my Singer 128 using #69 bonded nylon black thread and a size 18 leather needle.

There are a lot of firsts in this bag.  
First bag!

First design!

First sewing a round item!

First time finishing it up with hand stitching!

First time poking my thumb with the hand stitching needle! :o

Only third sewing project altogether.

I know it’s not “perfect”, but IMHO, it’s not bad!

5E158FF7-C75F-4396-A6FF-2ADFA6F0DA97.jpeg

29858245-6E30-4115-BDA7-F9F9245C2403.jpeg

Good job!  Not something I am able to make.  I bet she likes it.  

Thank you!

I had a GREAT time making it.  Even a trip to Jo Ann’s fabrics to get the stiffener inside the circle.  That makes the bag circular and the bottom won’t sag!

Chip

:thumbsup: i'll bet she loves it.

for your first try its a masterpiece nice job your sister will love it.:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Edited by Bert03241

Thanks Bert0341!

Very nice job! I started wanting to make bags and such, and made a few. But this is very nice for an early project. She will love it! I have gravitated to holsters and such but still hope to make a few bags.. get on the mailing list for Maverick leather,  Montana leather,  and any others you can think of. They run end of the year sales and often have free shipping! You can get a great deal on good leather.

Thanks and good to know Hags!

So, what is a good price for 10oz Bridle leather with a firm temper (I might not be getting my term correct, but the stiffness of it)?  I paid $8.95 sq ft with $16.95 shipping.  I bought 3 sq ft total.  It was so thick and stiff I had no idea what to do with it… but, I was just curious as to what the price ought to be.

Also how many sq ft roughly are in a side?

Thanks,

Chipper

I use pretty much Hermann Oak veg tan in 8/9 oz. Can't tell you much about bridle leather.  I believe I paid a little over $11 sq ft, with avg 25 sqft per side. They're in Cali, I'm in Washington state,  I believe it was about $20 for shipping. 

Good first project, and if you are anything like me: every project seems to demand a blood sacrifice!

5 hours ago, HaloJones said:

Good first project, and if you are anything like me: every project seems to demand a blood sacrifice!

I understand what you mean!;)

Nice work for a first-time piece! It really does seem that the blood sacrifice is necessary, though I don't understand why...:lol:

I just wonder about those straps, sewn to the body of the bag -- will those sewing joints hold up under the strain of a loaded bag? Or would it be better to reinforce them with rivets or the like? 
I haven't made enough bags to have a definitive answer for the questions.

Well, while I agree that a rivet or two would add some bling and some assurance the thread would not fail, I don’t have any!  As my first project, once it popped in my head, I looked at what I had and whether I could do it.  Since the thread is a #69 bonded nylon, I figure it will last and if not, she can send it back to me for a more durable repair! :)

I’m still getting things I need… heck I’m still figuring out what it is that I need and then figuring when I can buy them because I am not on an unlimited financial situation.  I did find some of my FIL’s old tools for snaps and such and I think there might even be a rivet press, I don’t know.  Also, I do not have a dedicated space for the leather working.  Some will be done in the sewing area and the rest in my garage workshop, when that gets there.

Chip