Constabulary

Dürkopp 17 Patcher - Sunday Morning Barn Find

So here it is - my latest barn find, a Dürkopp class 17 patcher. I just picked it up this Sunday morning from the grandson of the former owner which died in 1989 but he went out of business way earlier. So this machine probably has not been touched for 50 years or more. This is my first Dürkopp class 17 ever, I had a class 18 before but yet no class 17. :)

I have to figure what subclass it is. I assume it is a short arm with medium hook but have to free the hook first and check my records. All parts seem to be present except 1 spring but that should not be a big issue. It is mounted on a GÖRICKE branded treadle base but the machine definitely is Dürkopp made. Interestingly there seems to be a small pedestal mounted between treadle base and machine. Unfortunately no further accessories and no drawer.

It seems to be a very early model cause the later class 17 had different needle plates and different tension units.

So I have a nice project for the the upcoming cold days (if we will have cold days at all). Next will be a generous oiling to free some the moving parts and especially the hook (needle plate is "frozen"). I´m really looking forward to get this thing running again. :lol:

Some pictures:

IMG_8310.JPG

IMG_8311.JPG

IMG_8312.JPG

IMG_8313.JPG

IMG_8314.JPG

IMG_8315.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

The rust puts a wonderful patina on a gorgeous old machine.

4 hours ago, Constabulary said:

So here it is - my latest barn find, a Dürkopp class 17 patcher. I just picked it up this Sunday morning from the grandson of the former owner which died in 1989 but he went out of business way earlier. So this machine probably has not been touched for 50 years or more. This is my first Dürkopp class 17 ever, I had a class 18 before but yet no class 17. :)

I have to figure what subclass it is. I assume it is a short arm with medium hook but have to free the hook first and check my records. All parts seem to be present except 1 spring but that should not be a big issue. It is mounted on a GÖRICKE branded treadle base but the machine definitely is Dürkopp made. Interestingly there seems to be a small pedestal mounted between treadle base and machine. Unfortunately no further accessories and no drawer.

It seems to be a very early model cause the later class 17 had different needle plates and different tension units.

So I have a nice project for the the upcoming cold days (if we will have cold days at all). Next will be a generous oiling to free some the moving parts and especially the hook (needle plate is "frozen"). I´m really looking forward to get this thing running again. :lol:

Some pictures:

IMG_8310.JPG

IMG_8311.JPG

IMG_8312.JPG

IMG_8313.JPG

IMG_8314.JPG

IMG_8315.JPG

I’ve never seen one period. Super cool find, and definitely can’t wait to see your magic worked…. 

Good looking beast there. What fun :thumbsup:

I finally freed the hook cover plate to access the hook and I googled for other Dürkopp patchers and cross checked my records and came to the conclusion this must be a 17-1-2.

17 = Machine Class

1-2 = 1 is for the 38cm cylinder arm (2 would be for 43cm arm) and the 2nd digit 2 is for the hook size medium (1= small, 2 = medium, 3 = large).

Interestingly the Dürkopp medium hook is very similar to the large hook that CLAES uses as their #3 or #30 subclass. I figured that cause the Dürkopp bobbins are a tad smaller in diameter. So chances are good that the CLAES #3 and #30 hooks could (probably) work in the Dürkopp medium hook machines as well. But that is just a guess at the moment. Also the shuttle driver basket is very similar to the CLEAS #3 / #30 shuttle drivers BUT they have a different driving pinion (so not interchangeable).

Here is a list of Class 17 machine sub classes. Not sure if complete but thats what I have found so far:

• 17-1-1 sewing machine for shoemaker, heart curve driven needle bar, otherwise construction similar to the class 16-1, cylinder length 380 mm, smallest head, needle 88 and variants
  • 17-1-2 - as class 17-1-1, medium cylinder head, needle 88 and variants
  • 17-1-2 K - as class 17-1-2 with device for cross stitch sewing, needle 88 and variants
  • 17-1-3 - as class 17-1-1, larger cylinder head, needle 332 long
  • 17-2-1 - as class 17-1-1, cylinder length 430 mm, arm of class 18, needle 88
  • 17-2-2 - as class 17-1-2, also adjustable for cross stitches, needle 88
  • 17-2-3 - as class 17-1-3, cylinder length 430 mm, needle 332 long
  • 17-5-1 (17-4) - cylinder length 500 mm, sewing machine for shoemakers, heavy duty, smallest cylinder head, needle 332 long
  • 17-5-2 (17-5) - as class 17-5-1, medium cylinder head, needle 332 long
  • 17-6 - as class 17-5-1, largest cylinder head, needle 332 long
  • 17-10 - sewing machine for hat makers, cross stitch device, cylinder length 380 mm, needle 88
  • 17-12 - motorized machine, 250 stitches per minute, needle 88

Edited by Constabulary

Just for the records - the CLAES and Dürkopp shuttle driver compared. So from "inside the fence" the CLAES shuttle hooks will work in the DÜROPP shuttle driver I guess.

IMG_8316.JPG

IMG_8318.JPG

Nice find,I've never seen an early tension like that,did all the older ones have the higher mounted bobbin winders too?

What an absolute beauty :thumbsup: That  emblem in the centre  would look great in gold against the black.

HS

C,

Interested to see how you progress goes on this machine.  I have not started on mine yet.  Adler's to do first.  Take lots of pics.

glenn

I

On 11/7/2022 at 12:26 PM, CowboyBob said:

Nice find,I've never seen an early tension like that,did all the older ones have the higher mounted bobbin winders too?

as far as I figured most (if not all) Dürkopp patchers have the bobbin winder mounted that way. However some were gear driven and some had a rubber tire running on the hand wheel.

On 11/7/2022 at 7:37 PM, shoepatcher said:

C,

Interested to see how you progress goes on this machine.  I have not started on mine yet.  Adler's to do first.  Take lots of pics.

glenn

I will try but I seldom have the camera on hand when digging my hands in dirty machine parts but I will try to shoot some pictures. ;)

On 11/7/2022 at 2:15 PM, Handstitched said:

What an absolute beauty :thumbsup: That  emblem in the centre  would look great in gold against the black.

HS

I have a picture of the stand emblem from different machine (worn of paint but a lot better than on my stand) and I think I will try to replicate it as good as possible but I´m no artist with paint so not sure how it will turn out. :wacko:

Goericke_wappen_kl..jpg.104c9af0805641b7bca7de425f13c905.jpg

Edited by Constabulary

1 hour ago, Constabulary said:

I´m no artist with paint so not sure how it will turn out. :wacko:

Yep, gold will look good, I can see it now. You'll be fine, take your time, no rush ,  use Q tips ( ear buds)  instead of brushes on the lettering and other fiddly bits , less mess, no stray bristles to mess up your hard work.

HS

I just recalled an old thread where I have posted pictures of another GÖRICKE patcher that once sold on Ebay:

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/61501-shoepatcher-on-steriods/?do=findComment&comment=403149

I have to take a closer looks at the writing on my machine. Unfortunately very hard to read... :wacko:

EDIT:
with some black light and editig... Writing say "ORIGINAL DÜRKOPP SCHUHMACHER MASCHINE"

Maybe I can find a close enough font for making a stencil to reproduce that writing. :Lighten:

IMG_8325.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

C,

glenn

I

Nice C!!

glenn

A little side project - this press came with the Dürkopp patcher. First two pics are from the classified and show the condition "as found".

Holds tools with M6 thread on top and 12mm base on the bottom. Little fund raiser I think... ;) Maybe I´l make a wooden base for it.

9f9c4e33-9bfa-4413-8bfe-b4aff14f4f67.thumb.jpg.18017de30b583127fb3aafd91b65f8ef.jpgd0aee8ea-4b40-4068-bdd4-2edb451d0a90.thumb.jpg.c9f8d57e04f857608ab74372983227f6.jpgIMG_8335.thumb.JPG.d3bc68dd2d965800277b5bdf04ea228e.JPGIMG_8336.thumb.JPG.1903671277f6bff5aa6fdcb032e90799.JPGIMG_8337.thumb.JPG.5ea26b31cdc88ebad607279493e39d4a.JPGIMG_8338.thumb.JPG.6c495b2ea8c61a511a3138277b505c4e.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

Very nice C.  Great job on the rebuild!  Electrolysis tank?   No name on the press?

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher
grammar

1 hour ago, shoepatcher said:

Very nice C.  Great job on the rebuild!  Electrolysis tank?   No name on the press?

glenn

Yes, electrolysis and a wire brush for the last paint flakes that came of easily after electrolysis!

No, no name on the press.

It looks great!

glenn

It´s apart and now the fun begins. :)

A lot of parts are literally covered with a crust of dirt and oil. That usually is not as bad as it looks cause the parts are kinda "protected" - but I will see...

IMG_8346.JPG.113fe892936f8dc06f24ef9c065cbc96.JPGIMG_8344.JPG.66ce45c44a9ce704af7369854c6a38dd.JPG

Cooking "patcher casting soup" @ 8amps in the electrolysis tub - yummy!

IMG_8347.JPG.c0ea56c1b1e8da2d341ee6a357e8e08a.JPG

IMG_8348.JPG.152ec4224de4b089eb97e3a4697f2e02.JPG

Not bad for the 1st run but it needs some more.... Figured the Dürkopp paint is a lot tougher than the Singer paint (as on a 29K).

IMG_8351.JPG.ab45041920a5a0b8f33c598e84302909.JPGIMG_8350.JPG.720465dd848f879549bf28e062d646a3.JPGIMG_8349.JPG.8fe529846203284fdcbe3b133e2eb1ef.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

First parts I cleaned are the gear box components and figured a nice feature.

The very large pinion (23mm diameter) is held by an eccentric screw. First guess was it is for timing (well it may have a small influence but I don´t think it is supposed to adjust the timing) but as far as I figured (will know more when reassembled) it is for compensating wear on rack and pinion. Why do I think so? Because the further you turn the screw (left or right) the more it pushes the rack against the gear box wall but does not advance the rack much. Lucky circumstance - the rack and pinion are in good condition!

IMG_8355.JPG.ed5040e83001a8fc841ea59a1ef879eb.JPGIMG_8356.JPG.d4c56fbf8e39182d1e897b356dfd7caa.JPGIMG_8358.JPG.428d36c04c140274c0023f6d8c1fc3de.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

24 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

I started cleaning the deer relief

You've done a great job, but  have you decided on a colour for the deer.....hmmm?? ;)

Looks great cleaned up.

HS

35 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

You've done a great job, but  have you decided on a colour for the deer.....hmmm?? ;)

Looks great cleaned up.

HS

brownish-bronze - kind of.... no matter what it will never be like the original. I´m aware of that. I only can try to get close. I will not try dozens of shades but will try to find something with an antique touch... or so... ;)

Edited by Constabulary