Constabulary

Dürkopp 17 Patcher - Sunday Morning Barn Find

On 12/8/2022 at 12:31 PM, Constabulary said:

This machine is a bit different

I have been following your progress from a barn find to a beautiful old iron machine and the job you have done is just excellent.

kgg

The Allies bombed the factory in WW2 and the machine was never made again.

Yep.  Hitler sized plant in 1932 and turned it  into bayonet factory.  Allies bombed in 1941 i believe and destroyed everything.  Never rebuilt to build shoepatchers.

glenn

So happy to see this story.  I have a barn find too.  Pretty much the same machine and same condition.  I used evap-o-rust and oo steel wook to clean mine up.  I am having trouble with my walking foot function.  I am wondering if you found an adjustment on the rod that has the small puck on it.  Mine seems to be to low as the walking foot lever does not reach the larger outer ring to trigger the walking effect.  I also really need to know what the spring size for the spring from the walking foot bar and the holder of the bar.  I actually have lots of questions.  This thing has really caused me to scratch my head.  Lol.  I didnt repaint mine but have cleaned it up and cleaned all the mechanical parts.  I would be interested in the decal if you get any made.  Mine has the same name on it as yours.  I included a close up of my head from the front to show the walking foot lever and a picture of what most of it looked like when I started.

IMG_0513 copy.jpg

Edited by Pharvey
adjust pictures

@Pharvey Hard to tell from the distance...

See the large slotted screw next to the long handle? Try loosening a little bit, maybe it is too tight. Just a guess.

If it does not help post some pictures from the rear and the right side of the head.

It is the 1st Class 17 I have been working on but I managed that it is making quite long stitches - longer than 5 SPI actually.

Edited by Constabulary

On 3/17/2023 at 10:40 PM, ryano said:

The Allies bombed the factory in WW2 and the machine was never made again.

Thats ONE story - I also have heard that they stopped making this machine before the war cause it was too complicated (too many parts) and the competitors (Adler 30, Singer 29K...) were cheaper to produce. I don´t know - maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I think I have a 17 -1 Durkopp, can you address shuttle timing when you reinstall the shuttle gear ? Thankyou and a great refurbish!

I have a 17-1 and am trying to retime the shuttle driver. Any help on the sequence of where the needle bar is in relation to the shuttle drive gears?