Hardrada

Applying "Lining" over Round, Bulgy Surfaces

Ahoi,

Is there an ideal way to apply a cover of thin chevre leather over a wet moulded pouch? I'm particularly interested in how to deal with the pleats that form whenever I attempt to stretch the chevre over the bulgy round end. I guess I could cut the leather, but then I wouldn't have a smooth finish and it'd look real terrible.

Any ideas or should I start over, maybe this time gluing the chevre over the veg tan first?

TIA

Would you be able to post a picture of the part that is giving you trouble? Above you say lining and I am trying to get what the problem is. If it helps any I can generally get most stuff to work with a pointed bone folder and a pointed end bolt where things get really tight. As much as possible let the leather flow into place rather than trying to stretch it too much.

Yes, I know pics help—was gonna post some last night when I made the post only to find out my camera's battery was drained.

Here's the issue:

This is the molded spectacle case. I decided to mold "in reverse" as I wanted to avoid dying and also to have the outer surface be chevre which is more scratch resistant:

_MG_0619.jpg.7534a62c4892bd4468839ea3b3bff3c7.jpg

And, this is what happens when I try to put the 1.5oz chevre over the molded leather:

_MG_0621.jpg.25a1c76dfee8e433be7cae0e38a70ab6.jpg

Those pleats... argh!

Yep that goat skin does not look that friendly for the job. Once you have a good pattern does make it easier but in order to get that I would do the following. Lightly glue the goat onto the top only temporarily only gluing the top section at this stage. Then with a slicker lightly push down the sides to find where the leather can have any surplus taken off at the edges. Do not leave longer than needed. Do the same as best you can around the tip and corners and mark to cut off. Pull the goat off of the veg  and skive in 1/2" or more if possible and keep it thin. The thinner you make it the less you have to try and condense later. You can see where I have done something similar with a very long 8 1/2" folding knife I did some time back in crocodile. Croc does have a slight advantage at not showing the condensing as much sometimes.  When you have finished the skiving do another push on test and trim some if needed. Try not to apply with using the top mould as you can pull and push better without it getting in the way and keep in mind not to pull and stretch the leather too much as you go. Work your way down by going down in small steps from the top and dont let any touch the bottom flick out until you have all the edges to the bottom.

IMGP7397_resize.JPG

IMGP7400_resize.JPG