AnB

Looking for the right knife

Hello, everyone!

I'm new to this community and have been reading your posts for a while now and it helped me tremendously. Thank you for that!

I started with leathercraft a year and a half ago and I already sell my own range of products. I make costumes and accessories.

What I need your help for is choosing a knife that works better for my work, because I'm not happy with mine and I would like something better. From what I understand finding the perfect knife is a rabbit hole, I read a lot and I'm still confused so I just decided to ask for advice. I already researched the best US knife masters and I definitely have my eye on a couple of knifes that I would like to purchase in the future but they seem to be hard to find and it takes a long time to have them. I live in Europe and need something of quality that I can have a little faster than 6 months, near me if possible.

I use a half head knife at the moment and I feel comfortable with that model, I just want ho upgrade to a higher quality blade. I'm willing to pay up to 250€. I cut lots of irregular shapes, curves and small details so maybe the more experienced of you could give me an advice.

I post some of my works for reference.

Thank you in advance!

IMG_20221107_011717_791.jpg

IMG_20220817_170254_406.jpg

IMG_20220725_200840_261.jpg

20220917_153554-01-01 copy.jpg

IMG_20220826_132610_264.jpg

20221006_223401-01-01-01 copy.jpg

20221015_150932-01 copy.jpg

IMG_20221003_180840_918 copy.jpg

I hate to admit it but I have one of those high end knives and use my $12 Olfa snap blade knife almost exclusively. There's bound to be some local knifesmiths willing to help you out. I wish I had better/more helpful insight for you.

Also, your work looks clean, bravo.

12 hours ago, battlemunky said:

I hate to admit it but I have one of those high end knives and use my $12 Olfa snap blade knife almost exclusively. There's bound to be some local knifesmiths willing to help you out. I wish I had better/more helpful insight for you.

Also, your work looks clean, bravo.

Thank you so much for the support and insight!

Regarding the knife, ya, I'm no expert in knives but that goes for many other things. The difference between something of good quality and something of excellent quality is hard to notice for most people who aren't maniacally obsessed. 
Also my sharpening skills are still pretty basic and seems like that makes all the difference. 

Search the Net for George Barnsley and sons Ltd. They are one of the last traditional British leather tools manufacturer, and based in Sheffield, which is an excellent recommendation. They have various knives and other tools for leather work

Contact them about sales & export if necessary

First off, my compliments on some great work. 

I have accumulated a fair sized box of knives over the years and what do I usually grab? An Exacto with a chuck that I replaced the handle with a man sized wooden one. It lets you use different shaped blades that you can resharpen many times and they are thin which make them go easier when cutting. Since I don't make intricate cuts like yours I have no idea if that would work for you.

Edited by doubleh

On 11/8/2022 at 5:57 PM, doubleh said:

First off, my compliments on some great work. 

I have accumulated a fair sized box of knives over the years and what do I usually grab? An Exacto with a chuck that I replaced the handle with a man sized wooden one. It lets you use different shaped blades that you can resharpen many times and they are thin which make them go easier when cutting. Since I don't make intricate cuts like yours I have no idea if that would work for you.

I'll try that. Thank you!

On 11/8/2022 at 4:34 PM, zuludog said:

Search the Net for George Barnsley and sons Ltd. They are one of the last traditional British leather tools manufacturer, and based in Sheffield, which is an excellent recommendation. They have various knives and other tools for leather work

Contact them about sales & export if necessary

I own a few of their knifes, and they are good knifes, but I wanted to try a different brand. I am not 100% happy with them. Could be the handle or my sharpening skills. I'm not sure.

Someone posted this knife on a previous thread  https://bladepoint.eu/collections/bladepoint-knife-blades/products/bladepoint-ghoul  i made a few for folks here in the states who wanted to try one. I tried them they work really well IMO especially on the thinner leathers like you use.

the thread is called "A new knife" if you want to search and read it all.

Knives like any tool have different uses. You are not going to find a blade that will do everything. It is a tool, blades can be ground on the left or the right so you need one of each. Thin blade? Thick? Pointed? Round?

A blade is as personal as a pair of shoes. You have to try them on to see what you like.  My advice?  Snap off utility blade at any lumber yard for 6 bucks

For those curved shapes I use  a snap off blade, where the blade  can be locked like this.

As for the blade I use the 9mm black 30 degree tajima.  Be sure to take a 30 degree  blade. They are much sharper and easier  to cut curved shapes. There is a slight difference in sharpness between the black and the metal coloured regular ones, but not profound. The main difference  is the angle of the blade. You can see the difference in the 2 attached pictures.

Greetings

e2f0f8ed-d5f6-405d-a2da-43cf9de10ec9_0-10-095_1+.jpg

TajimaReplacementBlades1_1080x810_c6b8b830-2c6b-40d4-86ed-f346db0cdca8.jpg

This little round knife has been a handy addition for cutting and skiving in tight places.  It seems to hold an edge.  https://www.abbeyengland.com/abbey-round-knife-68mm-fs0480

Hi all,  I use a few wood carving knifes.

Howard

Most of my cutting and skiving is done with a Round knife for some lighter weight leather i may use a clicker knife for cutting. So i know you have said you have looked at knife makers across the pond and the waiting time to get one, he is my take on that its is well worth the wait i have had mine around seven years it has never seen a stone yet still cuts as well as the day i got it, but with all my cutting tools i will strop before use and strop again when i am finished for the day a good polished blade will cut a lot better.

Here is the maker i got mine from https://leathertools.net/shop/ i have the Texas Rosebud Round knife only mistake i made was i should have got the full fat version, very good people to deal with. The only thing is i believe he had a fire at his workshop sometime ago so not sure if he is up and running again hopefully someone on here will know if he is like i said it is well worth the wait.

Here is a link to a Clicker Knife i have plus the blades i use with it the curved blade is good for cutting tight curves.

https://www.abbeyengland.com/barnsley-extension-clicker-handle-fe0192

https://www.abbeyengland.com/barnsley-clicker-blade-curved-fe0194

https://www.abbeyengland.com/barnsley-clicker-blade-straight-fe0193

He is another link to a members site on here from time to time he has some nice used Knives and yes he is across the pond but don't think the wait  time would take to long.

https://brucejohnsonleather.com/leather-tools-sale/knives-and-handled-cutting-tools-sale/

Hope this helps

JCUK

Edited by jcuk

I just purchased a new el cheapo wood whittler for a specific wood project. After truing the grind on the blade and some sanding on the handle to make it more comfortable I believe it might make a good leather slicer also. It seems to have decent steel and took a very keen edge. 

I use different knives for different things.

The Fiskars I use on thin flimsy leathers like 1oz suede. The utility knife on 5-10oz vegtan. Xacto knives for small areas. The round knife I recently acquired and am still learning to control properly.

20221111_151416.jpg

I use scalpels.. Heck, that's what they are made for. Far superior to xacto blades and can be stropped for long life. And cheap! I ordered the plastic handles from amazon.

The #11, #23, #24. #25 blades work great! 

71taP1zXZqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg