Carverdw

Skiving Machine Comparison

Hello,

I am considering buying a Skiving machine. I see many machines available including the Consew DCS-S4, FAV AV2, Fortuna, Leather Machine Co NP4, and the Techsew SK-4.  They all seem very similar. Are the limits of Skiving leather thicknesses the same for all? Do any of you have advice as to why I should look at one over the others? Or why I should stay away from a particular device. Otherwise I may go with price, which I know is not always the best. I am interested in Skiving leather for making hats (3 - 5 oz.), bags, wallets, etc..  some of the veg tan may be a little thicker. Most of the leather is chrome tanned, but some is veg tanned. Thanks for any input you may have. 

2 hours ago, Carverdw said:

Or why I should stay away from a particular device.

2 hours ago, Carverdw said:

Most of the leather is chrome tanned, but some is veg tanned.

My understanding is a skiving machine will do a nice job on veg tan but not on chrome tan leather. So if most of your leather chrome tan I would suggest other methods.

kgg

4 hours ago, Carverdw said:

Hello,

I am considering buying a Skiving machine. I see many machines available including the Consew DCS-S4, FAV AV2, Fortuna, Leather Machine Co NP4, and the Techsew SK-4.  They all seem very similar. Are the limits of Skiving leather thicknesses the same for all? Do any of you have advice as to why I should look at one over the others? Or why I should stay away from a particular device. Otherwise I may go with price, which I know is not always the best. I am interested in Skiving leather for making hats (3 - 5 oz.), bags, wallets, etc..  some of the veg tan may be a little thicker. Most of the leather is chrome tanned, but some is veg tanned. Thanks for any input you may have. 

I have a Fortuna , a FAV AV2 and a Cowboy 801 and they all are good but I have to add that the Cowboy one is supplied in this case with a vacuum extraction and a second motor to run the bell separately. Chrome or veg no problems. All of these machines are with a vacuum extraction and I would advise to get one that way as it helps a lot with the softer leathers to stop the split waste coming up on the feed stone and wrecking the leather you just skived. Other thing I would advise is getting a roller for the presser foot as that makes most jobs run through easier and in particular thick veg stuff. If you check out my youtube channel you will see a few videos that can help like this one -