Davm

2 Styles of Western Spur Straps

One style has the tongue part of the larger half and the buckle is on a short, smaller half.  The other has the buckle attached to the larger half with the larger half having 2 slots through which the tongue (part of the smaller half) is threaded.  For those that have tried both styles- which do you prefer?  Is the buckle always on the outside of the boot regardless of style?  Thanks.

This is still cowboy country and I have never seen anyone wear the buckles inside. On the other hand I have seen photos of some that do. Maybe it is a brush country thing to keep them for hanging up. The only brush we have is mesquite bushes and they are to be avoided.

I've never seen anyone wear buckles inside

May God bless,

Dwight

The ever lasting question.

I am from and in Wyoming, AKA the "Cowboy State". On almost any given day you can walk into a local restaurant in any small town, even our biggest ones here, and see one or more folks with their spurs on.   You will also see there is a wide variation of the of the buckles and location. There is no right or wrong. It is a personal preference of the owner and also up to the design of the maker. Some are on the outside, some are on the inside. A lot of them are more on top, to one side or the other of the instep. Its up to you, as the maker where you want to accent the strap, (Put the Bling). Do you want to showoff your carving? Buckle on the inside. Do you want to use a sparkly big buckle? Then its on the outside. How about a fancy Concho and sparkly buckle? Inside or top. What ever you, or more importantly the customer wants.

Unless is for a US Calvary soldier or reenactor. As per US Army regulations - "The strap will be fastened over the instep of the footgear in such a manner that the buckles face the outside of the boot."

I always wear the buckles toward the outside for one simple reason:  If they are on the inside, you run the risk of snagging the buckles on each other thus tripping you.  Just my two cents and experience.  Jim

That's my thinking, buckles on the inside will catch on each other. The reason I asked is most leathers have a wide, decorative half and on the style with the buckle on this wide part- the wide part ends up on the outside of the boot- where you can see it.  On the other style the wide part is on the inside of the boot- if that makes sense.

What part of Wyoming? I still have land west of Douglas. Family from Lusk, Laramie. Evanston. Now I live in Florida. Much warmer, not so windy.