Danne

What are you working on right now? (Photos)

Maybe there is a thread like this already. I'm working on a watch strap.

N0l40Yo.jpg

Q6Ctebp.jpg

Nice to rediscover your posts. You were a reference for me when I started leathercrafting (looking at your Instagram posts) a few months ago. I was back to work so I finished another Passport holder a few weeks ago. Thanks for all the advices you shared.

987654321.jpg

4 hours ago, NDphung said:

Nice to rediscover your posts. You were a reference for me when I started leathercrafting (looking at your Instagram posts) a few months ago. I was back to work so I finished another Passport holder a few weeks ago. Thanks for all the advices you shared.

987654321.jpg

Really nice passport holder. NIce design, color/leather combinations, and the finish and stitching is also really nice. You said a few months? I wonder what your work look like in a few years :o Looking forward to see your coming projects. 

Edited by Danne

This strap is for an older Certina watch, where I have to replace the movement, and I thought I replace the second hand (Choose to paint one in orange to match the thread and lining on the watch strap.)

0P4L4In.jpg

rkrY6oY.jpg

lHg5fLv.jpg

8pIAoyo.jpg

This is the very early stages of a briefcase/laptop bag I am making for myself. 

These are the front and back panels. I'm thinking about putting a large pocket on the back panel so the stitching for the inside pocket doesn't show. There will be a 5" gusset to form the sides and I plan on putting a heavy piece of veg tan in the bottom to reinforce it. I haven't decided on straps yet. 

Briefcase Back.jpg

Briefcase Front Pockets.jpg

Briefcase Inside Pocket.jpg

4 minutes ago, ArkieNewbie said:

This is the very early stages of a briefcase/laptop bag I am making for myself. 

These are the front and back panels. I'm thinking about putting a large pocket on the back panel so the stitching for the inside pocket doesn't show. There will be a 5" gusset to form the sides and I plan on putting a heavy piece of veg tan in the bottom to reinforce it. I haven't decided on straps yet. 

Briefcase Back.jpg

Briefcase Front Pockets.jpg

Briefcase Inside Pocket.jpg

Nice, also always good with some interior pockets to store things.

I'm working on a briefcase also. It's a Christmas present for my sister.

I'm tooling cherry blossoms on the front.

20221115_110229.jpg

Also working on a couple 2" dog collars for my nephew's Belgian Malinois. 

20221115_110945.jpg

Not a thing at the moment but a slim jim holster keeps popping into my mind. I can't post a picture. Got a huge windows update which changed things and I haven't figuered out how to even get a picture on my computer since. Guess I will have to call in the big gun in the form of my geek son to show me how.

I'm working on a purse for my wife. It's a Don Gonzales pattern that wife really liked. It is my first non-practice piece I've worked on. So, not perfect my any means but my wife likes what I've done so far...

20221108_153347.jpg

I just fleshed two elk forelegs, i am going to tan them to make a hair on holster for my late dads cap and ball revolver. I would post pictures but you probably dont want to see my freshly salted hides in the raw lol.

Bring it on!!  I'm pretty sure folks know where leather comes from, but might be interested in the process.  It's like the folks who think meat comes from the back room at the supermarket!  I actually witnessed that once.....  A big drunk farmer friend (6'5") gave them.....and most of the store, a lesson on where meat, eggs and milk come from.  The egg part was the funniest...  quite descriptive. 

You might try mukluks with the other leg joints.

God bless

6 hours ago, sparctek said:

I'm working on a purse for my wife. It's a Don Gonzales pattern that wife really liked. It is my first non-practice piece I've worked on. So, not perfect my any means but my wife likes what I've done so far...

20221108_153347.jpg

Excellent! Any woman I know would be very happy with that!

11 hours ago, sparctek said:

20221108_153347.jpg

Wow, that tooling is so clean and consistent. Really nice work.

13 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

Excellent! Any woman I know would be very happy with that!

Thank you. It's been a labor of love for sure.  A lot of firsts for me on this one. Leather work is just a hobby at this point, but I'm hoping it can become a hobby that pays for itself once retirement comes around. :-)

8 hours ago, Danne said:

Wow, that tooling is so clean and consistent. Really nice work.

Tank you for the kind words. I've practice tooling and stitching on scrap pieces of leather for a long time. I work in IT and usually only have an hour here or there to do leather work. My wife finally convinced to get off my safe zone and make her the purse.

I'm not 100% happy with everything, but it looks pretty good. And most importantly, my wife really likes it. So it's a win for me. :P

Yes it does look good, very good.

I made my wife one long ago and have offered to make another but she says "No., they are too heavy". 

Edited by doubleh

5 hours ago, sparctek said:

I'm not 100% happy with everything, but it looks pretty good. And most importantly, my wife really likes it. So it's a win for me.

As a carpenter I can assure you that most people will not see what you think is a flaw. WE are our own toughest critics. And my wife is still using the checkbook cover I made her 30 years ago.