Mulligan31

First Wallet with some dodgy tooling

This was my first make it up myself wallet with a first attempt at some tooling. Probably the straightest stitching I have done. I ended up finishing this with olive oil and I am not thrilled with the results. I have some Neatsfoot  coming but if anyone has any thoughts on how to even put olive oil over the surface I would be grateful for the advise. 

4BA26F2A-102F-4A04-AE5A-805FEB1763CA.jpeg

Edited by Mulligan31

Yep, that's some pretty decent stitching! Give yourself a hand on that!
It's hard to see from the photo, but did  you sand and bevel the edges?
Why did you decide to use olive oil as a finish?

The tooling ain't too dodgy.  The camo tool strikes are a tad out of alignment in relation to the basket weave, but otherwise the line looks real straight and it's an interesting pattern.  No one will notice the misalignment when you pull out your card to pay for groceries.

Let us know how well the neatsfoot oil works over the olive oil.  I'd bet a whole dollar it will come out fiine.

You don't have to be ashamed of this piece.  Just learn from your mistakes and do better next time.  

10 minutes ago, TonyV said:

The tooling ain't too dodgy.  The camo tool strikes are a tad out of alignment in relation to the basket weave, but otherwise the line looks real straight and it's an interesting pattern.  No one will notice the misalignment when you pull out your card to pay for groceries.

Let us know how well the neatsfoot oil works over the olive oil.  I'd bet a whole dollar it will come out fiine.

You don't have to be ashamed of this piece.  Just learn from your mistakes and do better next time.  

Thanks Tony V. When you say I am out of alignment do you mean here? The camp should be in the center of the basket weave? 

8F39D4FD-2DE3-4CD8-8C1A-2BF92388F9DB.jpeg