Danne

Brown watch strap with orange stitching and lining

On 11/17/2022 at 3:46 AM, Danne said:

I try to find a good balance between soft/pliable and durable. Now I don't sell any leather goods (only a hobby) but some reinforcement solutions I've tried have resulted in straps that are very stiff (even with softer leather) until it has shaped itself around my wrist, I think something like that would annoy a lot of customers when they order a slim strap in a soft leather.

But I think it also comes down to the type of leather used. If I would get the task to make a strap for a watch that would take a lot of beating over the years like yours, and I could choose leathers. I would probably choose bridle or cordovan, and build up the interior with a full grain cow leather if a padded strap. 

I do spend a lot of time thinking about different construction methods. In one way it can make sense to use a nylon fabric as reinforcement to avoid stretching at the lugs and between bucke pin holes. But those materials degrade over time, like I took out an old backback I had in my storage room, all straps where made from some synthetic material, and it was a high quality made bag, but I could tear some straps with no effort. And when we buy a reinforcement material today, with the requirements for the materials to be environmental friendly, how long will they hold up?  especially when it's thin material? 

Let's have a look at some of the best crafters out there (my opinion, but a lot of people will agree) I saw a strap made by Niwa, and the construction is fully made out of leather. I can't say what the best choices are, but these constructions fully made out of leather appeal more to me. But I use Velodon for my flat straps, and I still experiment with different construction methods. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6O8GR0ALNc/

955146020_Skrmklipp.JPG.a88dc770a6697442932ff4184fcdfdbf.JPG

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6UOrkBA_GW/

1476217375_Skrmklipp2.JPG.74005b5ee27ab964e7ca5a3bad2b6fc2.JPG

Great products.. hit me up if you start making products again

Just now, ToddW said:

Great products.. hit me up if you start making products again

It have been slow with crafting lately, still haven't bought a skiving machine, looking at different alternatives when it comes to motors, I only need to buy a head, because I will mount it to my desk (you have maybe seen the pictures of my crafting area) I guess it will either be a Sieck (Chinese clone) and if needed replace feed wheel and bell knife, or a Fortuna SM-50 head.

5 hours ago, Danne said:

No, the color name is oranger if I remember correctly. Another leather that could be a good choice as strap lining is "swift calf" Not possible to order from the tannery (RMG Pomari) in low quantity, but when making straps at least I don't see any problems with spending a little bit more/sq.ft and buy from a reseller, because of the small amount needed.

Thank you,