Grey Drakkon

A box! (and hello again!)

So I made my first full box (I've made small ones with wooden lids before). I was originally hoping to have it so the top and bottom hinged together, but I would have needed to use thicker leather for it to work well (or glue another layer inside), and more importantly, take into account that all that surface tooling on the lid would significantly expand it. Turns out it made it the perfect size to slide over the bottom, so it's not a complete loss.

Next time I'm doing all the lid decorations, *then* cutting the sides and bottom.  Also made the sides out of one long strap, and it would have been easier on me if I had just cut each side separately and done a tiny bit more stitching.  

If I had more time, I would have lined the interior, but as it was I ended up waxing it the day it was given out.  I included a pic of the sides before I stitched them, I'm sure you'll recognize some standard stamps.  ;)

received_390957749831354~3.jpeg

PXL_20221026_004451544.jpg

That is really cool! A lot of there for sure.

Nice  !

very cool nice work:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Some very fine work indeed. :specool:

I'll have to practice a bit  soon as I have a board game to convert from a  square  cardboard box, to a round  portable leather case . It has a soft  felt like board, not a hard board. 

HS

Edited by Handstitched

Pretty neat! Definitely a step up from the quickies I did to organize my tooling desk drawer.

Thanks everyone!  It was definitely a learning experience and I hope the next is even better!

If you stick packing tape on the back of the leather before tooling and burnish it down firmly it will keep the leather from stretching out of shape. It will raise the nap on the leather when you remove the tape, but you can slick that back down with your favorite leather finish.