Chux

Braided belt

My daughter asked me to make her a new belt for Christmas, but wants one of the braided kinds that dosent have holes for the buckle prong to go through. Would anyone have an idea HOW to make a braided belt? I've done some lacing as well as your standard 3 strand flat and 4 strand round braids but no clue how to make a belt like that.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciate. Thanks!

Look up " magic braid "   it's easy and you can do a few inches or the whole belt .  I have made 2 but only have a pic of this bracelet .

IMG_1876.JPG

I should have added that 5 or 7 even 9 braid can be done .

ps  it's called mystery braid not magic  

6 hours ago, Chux said:

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciate. Thanks!

You could also have a look at a book called ' Leather Braiding' by Bruce Grant. Thats my braiding 'bible' I rely on it a quite a bit when plaiting. . Braided or secret plait belts can take a bit of practice, but very effective. Try on scraps first .   I can do the 3 part & 5 part secret plait... I have yet to practice any more than that,.. that takes patience.

HS

10 hours ago, Gezzer said:

I never even considered making a belt like that!! I've done the bracelets but never thought to just make it longer!!

6 hours ago, Handstitched said:

You could also have a look at a book called ' Leather Braiding' by Bruce Grant. Thats my braiding 'bible' I rely on it a quite a bit when plaiting. . Braided or secret plait belts can take a bit of practice, but very effective. Try on scraps first .   I can do the 3 part & 5 part secret plait... I have yet to practice any more than that,.. that takes patience.

HS

I actually have that book I guess I'm gonna have to get to studying! Thanks for the reminder 

8 hours ago, Handstitched said:

You could also have a look at a book called ' Leather Braiding' by Bruce Grant.

I use his book extensively for braiding.  I learned from it and still use it as reference.  I practice a lot with "mule tape".  I used paracord and nylon rope also but mule tape seemed to work better for me.  Here is a picture of a belt I made for my granddaughter.  She loves purple!

JM2C

IMG_0377.thumb.jpg.f87e8307f87e425ea8a7b4392a0ab0e3.jpg

10 minutes ago, jrdunn said:

I use his book extensively for braiding.  I learned from it and still use it as reference.  I practice a lot with "mule tape".  I used paracord and nylon rope also but mule tape seemed to work better for me.  Here is a picture of a belt I made for my granddaughter.  She loves purple!

JM2C

IMG_0377.thumb.jpg.f87e8307f87e425ea8a7b4392a0ab0e3.jpg

12 hours ago, Gezzer said:

I've never heard of "mule tape" before so I'll have to look into that, but that, I believe, is the kind of belt she is talking about. Can you tell me more about the one you made? How many strands, how much "shrinkage" and all that kind of fun stuff??

12 minutes ago, Chux said:

I've never heard of "mule tape" before so I'll have to look into that, but that, I believe, is the kind of belt she is talking about. Can you tell me more about the one you made? How many strands, how much "shrinkage" and all that kind of fun stuff??

Mule tape is a polyester "ribbon" used to pull cables through a conduit.  That belt is made from 8 plaits of of 1/4" mule tape (rated for 400# of pull.   I first braided it looser to start with and it was 1 3/4" wide and too thin, so I un braided it all, pulling much tighter.  That gave me a 1 1/4" belt with a good "body".  This tight of braid doesn't allow the ribbons to lay flat.  It worked out well for my 8 year old granddaughter.

https://cajuntiedowns.com/product-category/cajun-pull-line/?product-page=7  This company sells various size and colors but I buy the white and dye it the desired color.  I use RIT synthetic dyes.  I needed several sizes and colors, so I bought white.  So far the synthetic dye has held up well.  Their standard dye doesn't stay in synthetics well.

This picture is a turquois and white 6 plait(I think) of 5/8" tape.  It made a thick, 1 3/4" wide belt is great for my 16 year old granddaughter.  It ended in more of a western style than the other.  I have also braided "roping reins" from the 5/8" tape.

JM2C,

Jim

IMG_0378.jpg