Teradee

Singer 18-3 Troubleshooting & Tuneup?

Hi everyone!

I bought an old singer 18-3.  I cleaned it up, oiled it up, and it sewed for a few rows and now I can’t figure it out to save my life.  

it is not catching the bobbin thread now, but when it was, it was not sinching the stich down and the bobbin side was laying flat on the leather with small loops holding it there (I assume the tension?).  

Im in Wisconsin.  Anyone know a way to get that machine to be a solid, less finicky machine?

thanks!

jason

Sounds like a timing issue. I would check the needle hook timing and (most likely) lower the needle bar if necessary. Also make sure the needle scarf is facing toward the hook and needle (as well as the whole machine) is threaded correctly.

When the bottom thread is flat you either have a tension issue or a too small needle size or a too thick thread.

This chart will help to find the right needle size / thread size combination:

https://www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html

Here s a Singer 18 manual. On page 13 (last page)  you find instructions for adjusting the needle bar:

Singer 18 Manual.pdf

This Seiko TF-6 manual should give you some instructions that will work for the Singer 18-3 as well:

Seiko TE TF-6, -6B Instruction Manual.pdf

Edited by Constabulary

16 hours ago, Burkhardt said:

Should we guess at where in Wi?

Ozaukee Cty.  

14 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Sounds like a timing issue. I would check the needle hook timing and (most likely) lower the needle bar if necessary. Also make sure the needle scarf is facing toward the hook and needle (as well as the whole machine) is threaded correctly.

When the bottom thread is flat you either have a tension issue or a too small needle size or a too thick thread.

This chart will help to find the right needle size / thread size combination:

https://www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html

Here s a Singer 18 manual. On page 13 (last page)  you find instructions for adjusting the needle bar:

Singer 18 Manual.pdf 416.06 kB · 7 downloads

This Seiko TF-6 manual should give you some instructions that will work for the Singer 18-3 as well:

Seiko TE TF-6, -6B Instruction Manual.pdf 780.26 kB · 0 downloads

Great info!!   Thanks!