Brokenolmarine

Gift for a friend

A good friend across the country was always commenting on the knives I put together.  (I don't forge the blades, too many surgeries.)  I kept telling him to choose a blank and I'd build him one.  He finally chose, but I was disappointed as he originally said he wanted damascus and cocobolo.  But the prices had doubled and tripled on damascus.  He chose a modestly priced blank.  Miss T and I drove down and I picked up TWO of the blanks he chose, in case I blew it, two bolsters, the Corby Rivets, and a few other things I needed.  I also picked up a damascus blank as a surprise.

I have the Shawnee Skinner and cocobolo done except for waxing, took it to 800 grit.  I'll start on the sheath tomorrow, and finish the damascus blank out while the dyes and the glues are drying in the sheath process.  I told him the sheath might take a few days.  He knows I take my time, and he's excited.  The damascus will get either the birdseye scales or I'll fit antler scales, haven't decided.

The Shawnee:

399733018_36GoldenOakleft.thumb.jpg.45e11dceb1dee83a8737017fcd3ecfe8.jpg838569356_37goldenoakright.thumb.jpg.bf3764296067490d477060326ebc04fe.jpg

The Damascus blade barely started:

1826543968_29damascusblank.thumb.jpg.c2aab93840311c1980423e72fdc84736.jpg

I cut the birdseye scales, and laid them in place, but haven't formally started on them yet.

828431483_30birdseyescales.thumb.jpg.60dd39a90b4a898cc7af1fb146009847.jpg

I'll take another hard look at antler possibilities tomorrow before deciding.  Then make my move.  This friend has done a lot for me and I want to repay him with a gift that will knock his socks off. Good Guy.

The Shawnee will be a knife he will use.  The Damascus can be used, or displayed.

Nice work I"M sure he will really appreciate the fine work from a friend.

really nice work!! my vote is always for antler lol.

Great gift and a really great idea to repay a good friend with such a beautiful piece of work.

Friendship is a dear thing, so I am all in favour of doing something good for a friend! The world needs more people who acknowledges and remembers friendship. 

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Wow, super nice. When do you start making leather skiving knives? I do like my Kyoshin elle skiving knives, but a damascus blade and african blackwood handle. It would follow the theme on my toolboard where more and more tools get black :wub:

WELL DONE !  It sounds to me as  though  both of you are indeed  blessed .

Very nice. 

I finished the Damascus knife, went with HORN for the scales.

D2.thumb.jpg.f1efa1aa25bfab8a980a323bae7700c0.jpg

I finally finished the sheath for the Shawnee with the cocobolo scales as well.  It took four tries to get it right.  I didn't risk the Cowboy 3200, did the stitching by hand.  I am still learning the 3200, don't have enough time on the machine to chance it. 

I did okay on the first, but the dark brown dye  turned black on the second coat and looked awful. 

I thought the second looked good but my friend wanted the maker's mark on the front of the sheath so people would ask about it... and he could explain where the knife and the sheath came from.  Since I have a duplicate blank to make for Miss Tina, I told him no problem, and asked if he liked the Basket Weave I used or wanted a different pattern.  He chose a smaller basic pattern.  We discussed a few other mods and I got started.

I blew the third when I lost focus and the Basket weave pattern fell apart.  As most of you know, that's not hard to do.

Number four was a charm.  I took my time and laid out the pattern around the maker's mark.  Worked slowly on the tooling and hand stitched everything.

She is done, and all that remains is waxing the sheath after the mink oil dries.

524002594_sheathfinished.thumb.jpg.642f8d2b3d78458544d949ca4625c394.jpg