Mulesaw

Hammock production

My son and I started a company in February, so far our main income has come from repairing riding boots and repairing horse blankets. 

However, we have also started a production of head stall holders and shabrack holders, where the hanging system is made out of leather Plus leather grease to care for your horse gear.

We make a nice classic version of stitching horses, though so far no sale of those yet (we aren't that big in marketing)

But as the title says , I am planning for making a production run of hammocks similar to those that we use on this ship. Our current supplier is well into his 70'ies, and I'd like to be ready to take over once he decides to stop.

So far I have found a supplier of a fitting type of canvas, and a supplier of the correct rope and brass eyelets etc.  And I find myself drawn to calculating all the time and trying to guestimate how fast I can make those hammocks and if I could do it a bit different to be more efficient etc. And so far I haven't even ordered the canvas (since I am out at sea). 

So I was wondering if there are any other that routinely try to organize a production run in their head of some projects that you already do or perhaps would like to do? It doesn't matter if you ever get around to do so, but I just like to occupy my mind in thinking about stuff like that. Like what I could do to utilize that small pieces of scraps. what the most logic or most efficient sequence of operations is etc.

It could be that you have made one holster and you think about ways to do it efficiently if you should make perhaps a 1000 pieces of the same holster.
Or in your head you are going to expand your belt production to a level where you can supply all Walmart stores.

Let's hear it if you ever think about organizing a production, and what it should be (and you don't need to actually do it, just thinking about the process because it is interesting)

interesting question indeed! i managed a maintenance shop for years and many many times we worked at producing multiple products for the prison like beds, tables and such.

first off you need to make your list of supplies from your design including all your needles, thread, glue,  etc. Then you need to make one and find out how much of each product you will actually need, people sometimes ruin eyelets so you need a factor for that, plus how long each construction sequence takes, cutting , sewing etc, and to find the easiest/fastest construction sequence like sewing first or punching all holes first, this will be changed as you gain knowledge but it gives you a starting point.  I used construction sequence times to figure out time accurately when doing multiples, its easier and faster to sew ten items then go to the next step instead of making one complete bed at a time. then you need to lay out your workspace to coincide with your construction sequence so everything flows from one job to the next. Time management flow also is a concern, how long each job takes how many people each job takes, if one guy can sew ten beds in  day but the next job eyelets ,for example, only takes half a day, then the eyelet setter needs to be working  on another step of the operation for the other half day. 

supplies should also be considered as very important , how long to get them is the biggie, at what point to order more so you don't run out of one thing that stops production, especially the small stuff like thread or glues that you don't really take notice to.

Are you planning to make them and stock them or make them per order? Stocked = how many are you going to set on before getting a return vs per order= you get paid but the consumer has to wait for the construction process. 

There will be variables that change in the beginning and you really need to be open on this and willing to see change in process when it becomes evident. Learning curve, ordering and supply problems, and personnel problems. 

I used to lay out these processes then set back and see how the workers refined the workload and work flow ,they were the experts so i went with their ideas more than not.

@chuck123wapati Hi Chuck, thanks for your very thorough answer.

It is pretty much along those lines I have been thinking, except hat I had forgotten needles and thread since I figured I already have it on hand, but that supply will also need to be replenished at some time.

When we made the first shabrack holder and the first headstall holder, We made jigs and fixtures as we went along, so we could produce the next part faster and more accurate. Then once we had made the prototype we have made a small production run of say 10 units.  And half the fun was to see if I had guessed sort of correct on the time it took for producing one item.

I can't find out how to get the pictures from or IG account over to my computer, so here's a link to our Instagram page.  In case you want to see the holders.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkNDdE3DP9d/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

The hammock production will most likely be made to order, with a couple of extras being made to go into stock. Here at the ship I think we restock once per year or thereabouts, and I guess it is the same on the other training ships. (At the moment they also buys from the same supplier).

On our ship we often hear that trainees who have sailed with us would like to buy a hammock, but as it is now, we are not able to sell any since the supplier only delivers a minimum of what we need just for our own use, so I was planning to change that, so that there would be some for sale as well, not by me, but by the ship (I would still supply all of them but they could resell them and make a profit that way).

At the current point in the planning, I am going to end up with a strip of canvas that's 14" wide that is not needed for the production itself (scrap), so I am toying a bit with the idea of making rigger bags out of that. That would fit very well into the ships stuff that we sell, so I think that I might sell it in larger quantities compared to the hammocks. I could also make something else out of it, so it doesn't just count as waste.

The canvas is originally 60" wide, and the finished hammock should be 40" wide. The edges needs to be folded and doubled so that takes a bit of the width too. 

I am really looking forward to getting started once I get home in a couple of weeks time.

Brgds

Jonas

I can't see your link because I don't have an account.

I've worked in manufacturing for a couple decades. One company supplied Honda, I worked at Toyota manufacturing in KY, and I've also worked as a consultant for production line management for a few companions. 

All that to say Chuck hit the nail on the head especial with his last paragragh. You can set up a line to make things very efficient on paper but watch how the people doing the job move and have them give input. Many times they have an idea, sometimes it's a small adjustment like having a hook to hang a tool, that make the job faster and easier on their bodies (Within reason you have to watch your costs).

Which brings me to my next point. Ergonomics: "back in my day" isn't going to work that great when someone is complaining about their feet hurting or their hands hurting. In today's work force its easier to find work that doesn't break your body so keeping your people healthy will pay off in the long run. Rubber mats on hard floors does wonders for feet and backs, gloves to prevent cuts or abrasions, proper lighting, etc.

@BlackDragon

Sorry about the link, I have asked my son to send me the pictures, so I can upload them here. 

Thanks for the input. So far we are not looking into having employees, it's just Gustav and me, but that said we still need to look after ourselves as well. 
the idea about observing how someone else is doing things is good. When I made the first shabrack holders (they look like a rope ladder), I riveted the leather strop on each "step" both sides. But Gustav wanted to try, and he just tried doing all three steps in one side first, then flipping all over and then did the other side of them all, and that cut down probably a couple of minutes, and less fuzzing abot.

I like to be able to give him some good inputs since he will be the one who will be running the company at some point (hopefully in a very distant future), but if I can teach him just a little then it might be the difference between make or break at some point. At first I had to explain to him that if we produced something ourselves, then we should still be able to make a decent hourly wage of the product. So that was why I was noting the time each operation took. I felt kind of like Scrooge McDuck, but there is no point in lying to him, and while it is OK to spend a long time on something if it is your hobby, you just have to operate with another mindset if it is for a business.

We are planning on making a dedicated leather/canvas shop in the old green house in our garden (it was originally a brick structure, so it isn't a flimsy aluminum thing), so far the plans go for a well insulated wooden floor, lots of natural light, a wood burning stove to keep a decent temperature in the colder months, and it will be out of the regular wood workshop so there won't be a problem with dust settling as much. But that is for the future. We are not trying to make a living out of the company yet, so we are mainly trying to do a soft start without getting into debt. But the entire organization and planning of e.g. those serial productions fascinate me.  

18 minutes ago, Mulesaw said:

@BlackDragon

Sorry about the link, I have asked my son to send me the pictures, so I can upload them here. 

Thanks for the input. So far we are not looking into having employees, it's just Gustav and me, but that said we still need to look after ourselves as well. 
the idea about observing how someone else is doing things is good. When I made the first shabrack holders (they look like a rope ladder), I riveted the leather strop on each "step" both sides. But Gustav wanted to try, and he just tried doing all three steps in one side first, then flipping all over and then did the other side of them all, and that cut down probably a couple of minutes, and less fuzzing abot.

I like to be able to give him some good inputs since he will be the one who will be running the company at some point (hopefully in a very distant future), but if I can teach him just a little then it might be the difference between make or break at some point. At first I had to explain to him that if we produced something ourselves, then we should still be able to make a decent hourly wage of the product. So that was why I was noting the time each operation took. I felt kind of like Scrooge McDuck, but there is no point in lying to him, and while it is OK to spend a long time on something if it is your hobby, you just have to operate with another mindset if it is for a business.

We are planning on making a dedicated leather/canvas shop in the old green house in our garden (it was originally a brick structure, so it isn't a flimsy aluminum thing), so far the plans go for a well insulated wooden floor, lots of natural light, a wood burning stove to keep a decent temperature in the colder months, and it will be out of the regular wood workshop so there won't be a problem with dust settling as much. But that is for the future. We are not trying to make a living out of the company yet, so we are mainly trying to do a soft start without getting into debt. But the entire organization and planning of e.g. those serial productions fascinate me.  

with the knowledge you already have on how orders are placed and when. i could see you making a run for an order just shortly before the order was placed so you wouldn't be setting on money but you would have a leg up to ship faster. I don't know this part but your problem may be getting the beds to the ships while in port so starting after the order is placed may not work well.

@chuck123wapati

Hi Chuck, I think that the current delivery time and ordering time is something like a couple of months, so it is not a product that demands fast delivery. We have a bunch of spare hammocks on board, so without knowing the full detail of the ordering process, My guess is we (the ship) order once every year to replenish stock. Getting the hammocks to the ship is not a problem since they will just be sent to the office. Technically it would be cheaper if we managed to deliver while the ship was in Denmark for a visit. Cause then there wouldn't be a shipping issue to get it to Norway.

Since I am still on a regular sailing job it means that I am out of our own company half the time, so that kind of demands that we always uphold a little stock our products so we can sell them, but the hammocks would be different since they will be sold in batches. 

So far my plan of production is: 

-Cut the rope needed to the correct lengths. Using a hot melt knife. This will keep the ends from fraying and I won't have to spend a lot of time putting on a small tackle on each end.
-Make an eye splice on both ends of the carrier rope. (I would do this on a bunch of ropes, not just for one hammock)
-Cut the canvas to the correct length and width and do it for say 10 pieces (more than 10 pieces I am afraid will just cause unnecessary clutter in the shop) 
-Fold the ends over twice, and iron the folds (2") so they will stay in place while I am sewing, (another possibility is glue or double sided tape, I just think that ironing would be faster and less costly)
-Sew the folded ends.
-Fold the sides, these fold should end up being approx 1.5"
-Insert a string (like the starter cord of a chainsaw) in the fold. And sew the side folds.
-Pull the carrier rope through the folded side using the cord. 

At this time the operation is repeated because this can all be done on the same setting of the sewing machine.

-Adjust the sewing machine to do a higher lift so I can sew the carrier ropes and the lacing ropes.
-Mark for where the lacing ropes should be mounted on the hammock.
-Fix the carrier ropes to the side folds by sewing, approximately a 2" stitching on each end.
-Sew the lacing ropes onto the bottom of the hammock.

At this point all the sewing is done.

-Mark where the holes for the brass eyelets should be on each of the folded ends. (8 pieces in each end)
-Make the 16 holes for the eyelets. (Here I am not sure if I should use a hand punch, make something for a swing press, or make a pipe shaped drill, I am leaning mostly to the drill for speed and accuracy)
-Install the 16 eyelets (I have a special tool for those, they are 20 mm ~ 3/4")

Now the basic hammock is complete. This is the state that the ship buys them in, but there is a also an interest in getting some that can be sold directly to our trainees, and these will need to be "mounted"-

the mounting consists of fixing a 3" diameter steel ring to each end of the hammock using a total of 10 pieces of rope each sort of 6' in length, They are just tied using a half knot and a farmers splice (insert the entire rope though the strands to hold it in place). 
I don't know how many mounted hammocks we will sell, but it is just not a completely different product, just a few things added to the existing unit.

There are quite a few steps involved, but my main idea has been to make sure that I don't waste time by having to change workstation or readjust the sewing machine for each hammock. 

Brgds Jonas

@BlackDragon

Here are some pictures of the products we have made so far. The leather grease comes in 3 colours: neutral, black and brown.

The wooden hooks on the head stall holders are mitered in the corner and reinforced with a spline (those re the darker vertical lines)

I haven't got any close up pictures of the shabrack holders, but they are also stained pine with two coats of marine varnish on them, You can see the ends in the first picture, where it holds 3 shabracks.

68985789208__AFA916F3-F1FF-466A-A581-CA20B451D26F.JPEG.c77683f10c86c1f1839b38a19eaebd88.JPEG

68985797960__92397C0E-F9AA-4847-8538-F0E165D5300A.JPEG.ae8a1d22efcef277a4b2fe6c00843220.JPEG

B53994A7-7E03-44C1-95CE-7E4DF1B4FA67.thumb.JPG.b8bdbe61df0bae626640313a19276a92.JPG

IMG_0864.JPEG.97f470a2f20bc1100885d264a65ccebb.JPEG

IMG_0878.JPEG.b8723fca2ed6101cb8aaa548c7773f6d.JPEG

IMG_0888.JPEG.d99fdacc0a06ee2bab1dad7ef8b0d843.JPEG

IMG_0913.JPG.2ca7158314f98063908f9221b72dc7ea.JPG

Good luck with your new business, Jonas.  Look forward to following what you do.  I like the tack holders.  Ideas for other products: name plates for show stalls with farm name/logo/contact number and place for horse name (chalk/eraseable marker/taped on), quality lead ropes in various lengths (eye splice for snap, butt slice on end), rope halters for training young horses, leather side reins and surcingles.  We use quite a few hay nets for ponies and replace them when a hole is torn.  Not sure if repairing these nets is profitable.  Keep up the good work!

@TomE Thanks for the kind words :-)

And thanks for the suggestions for future products. I really like the idea of a show name plate, I have never thought about that until now, but it is always the same piece of paper that is taped to the front of the box door. and it really doesn't do much good for the overall look. 

I would have to learn how to make a rope halter, but I guess that should just require a good source of instruction and some practice.
Lead ropes is also a good idea that everyone needs. I would love to make stuff like side reins and surcingles, but I am afraid that I will have a hard time getting in on the market with them. I know that I can make them as good or better than some of the fancier brands, but they have a powerful PR machine and many riders love using a recognizable brand. 
We hope that we will be such a brand someday, but I think it will take some time to get there.  (But that doesn't matter as long as the journey is a blast) 

I think that hay nets are too cheap for repairing, at least if you need to pay someone to do it. 
It is the same problem with paddock halters. These can often be bought as a package deal at at sale with 5 halters for 15 $. I can't event get the hardware and nylon strap for 5 halters for that price. 

We actually operate with different hourly rates depending on the work we do. Horse blanket repair is just DKK 200 per hour (roughly 28$) but for saddle repair jobs and leather repair jobs we charge dkk 350 per hour (roughly 49 $)
It may seem like a high price, but it is dirt cheap in Denmark. I think an unskilled labourer is paid something like 25$ per hour, so if you need a carpenter you usually pay at least 70 $per hour.
My thought is that if we charged a higher price for the blanket repair, it would often be cheaper for people to buy new blankets, and I like the idea of repairing stuff instead of throwing it out, so it still generates an income to our company, and it is a great way to get in touch with more horse people. 
On an average I'd say that a horse blanket takes about an hour to repair, there is usually a bit of hardware that goes into it as well, and then there is the Danish VAT that amounts to 25%, so it quickly adds up for the customer.

Yes, that makes sense.  Need a sweatshop in the USA to make good for the Danish market. :)  This Youtube channel is where I learned to tie halters and lead ropes.  I think there are 3 videos for making a halter, 2 videos for the eye splice, and a video for the butt splice.

@TomE

Thanks for the video, I sadly can't see it out here since the net connection is so slow, but I'll have a look at it when I get home. 

I repaired a nice lead rope for someone, the rope was a braided thick soft rope, and the snap was attached by means of a piece of leather that was folded and then sewn onto the braided line. The other end had a leather ending as well, not a rounded cap, but also just a folded piece of leather that was sewn pretty close to it. It looked nice, though the stitching wasn't that great (I guess that's why I had to repair it)

1 hour ago, Mulesaw said:

@TomE

Thanks for the video, I sadly can't see it out here since the net connection is so slow, but I'll have a look at it when I get home. 

I repaired a nice lead rope for someone, the rope was a braided thick soft rope, and the snap was attached by means of a piece of leather that was folded and then sewn onto the braided line. The other end had a leather ending as well, not a rounded cap, but also just a folded piece of leather that was sewn pretty close to it. It looked nice, though the stitching wasn't that great (I guess that's why I had to repair it)

you make some really nice stuff I don't see you having a problems starting a full time shop and being successful.

2 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

you make some really nice stuff I don't see you having a problems starting a full time shop and being successful.

Thanks Chuck, It is really appreciated 

I am so lucky to have my son involved in this as a partner, because he is the one who knows how to sell stuff. And together we make a pretty good team. Plus we make sure to have a good time along the way doing it which is really important I think.

One of the ideas of the company is that it would be a great way to ease his way into it. He takes care of the accounting and that sort of stuff, and I provide some muscle (and a little experience). We haven't got any debt to a bank, but our company has borrowed some money from me. And it is written in the document that the money should be paid back whenever it was convenient for the company. That means that he (and I ) doesn't have to stress to meet any goals each month to satisfy a bank. And given that he is still an apprentice and goes to technical college half his time that is really good.

The long term goal is to specialize in harness rooms / saddle rooms in large stables and horse trucks. We have bought a house too that we are renovating, and that will be rented out. 
I don't think that I'll quit sailing, but I hope and think that he can make a living from the company when he is done with his formal training as a carpenter. And at that time he will already be accustomed to tax reporting, accounting making quotations etc. 

And I am happy if I can still participate by repairing horse related stuff :-) 

Technically I could also work full time for the company, but I think we need to get it a bit more off the ground before starting that. But we are on the right track.

Brgds

Jonas