I'm making shoes. I am using milled veg-tan leather because this is what my teacher uses & I'm following along until I choose to make a different decision. I am going to dye the leather, but then I have to waterproof it. I bought some Fiebing's Resoline, which is an acrylic-based waterproofer that the sales person recommended because it will keep the leather supple and protect the dye while waterproofing. When I bought it, I didn't realize it was acrylic. Will the leather still accept regular shoe water-proofing after this? I usually Sno-Proof or mink-oil or some other oil-based protectant.

Thanks!

Best thing to do is try it on some scrap then you will have first hand knowledge that you can reliably use and share. 

No it will not accept oil thru the resoline! It is a sealer

I don't use Resoline on anything, but I would think that it would seal the surface from accepting any oil afterwards.

46 minutes ago, Doc Reaper said:

No it will not accept oil thru the resoline! It is a sealer

What would you use instead? I should have asked before I bought the stuff...

1 hour ago, inkfountain said:

What would you use instead? I should have asked before I bought the stuff...

They are shoes right? clear shoe polish over your favorite water proofing.

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

They are shoes right? clear shoe polish over your favorite water proofing.

6 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Best thing to do is try it on some scrap then you will have first hand knowledge that you can reliably use and share. 

Thanks! I have everything I need for that! Nothing special for veg-tan then?
I'd try it on scrap first, as I'd love to share the answer, but then I'd have to open the Resoline. As it is, I can return it. 

I know that people paint leather shoes with acrylic paints. I wonder what happens after that. That experiment I can do on my own, tho. I have acrylics.

10 hours ago, inkfountain said:

I'm making shoes. I am using milled veg-tan leather because this is what my teacher uses & I'm following along until I choose to make a different decision. I am going to dye the leather, but then I have to waterproof it. I bought some Fiebing's Resoline, which is an acrylic-based waterproofer that the sales person recommended because it will keep the leather supple and protect the dye while waterproofing. When I bought it, I didn't realize it was acrylic. Will the leather still accept regular shoe water-proofing after this? I usually Sno-Proof or mink-oil or some other oil-based protectant.

Thanks!

In one word . . . no . . . 

Resolene is an excellent product if applied correctly for a particular purpose.  I use it on 90+% of belts I make . . . same for holsters . . . gunbelts . . . knife sheaths . . . 

It is just the berries for products that are molded . . . and you want something to help the molding stay molded . . . it's great for that.

I made a book carrier for a college student once and used resolene on it . . . and it became way too stiff for it's intended purpose.  She hung on to it . . . tossed a flower arrangement in it . . . took it to the county fair . . . won a whole handful of ribbons with it . . . because it held up the flowers . . . 

But in answer to using it . . .  make it the last thing you put on the leather item you are making with the exception of shoe polish.  I would never have thought twice about my shoes in the military if I'd had resolene . . . shoe polish over it makes one super shine. . . . 

May God bless, 

Dwight

43 minutes ago, Dwight said:

In one word . . . no . . . 

Resolene is an excellent product if applied correctly for a particular purpose.  I use it on 90+% of belts I make . . . same for holsters . . . gunbelts . . . knife sheaths . . . 

It is just the berries for products that are molded . . . and you want something to help the molding stay molded . . . it's great for that.

I made a book carrier for a college student once and used resolene on it . . . and it became way too stiff for it's intended purpose.  She hung on to it . . . tossed a flower arrangement in it . . . took it to the county fair . . . won a whole handful of ribbons with it . . . because it held up the flowers . . . 

But in answer to using it . . .  make it the last thing you put on the leather item you are making with the exception of shoe polish.  I would never have thought twice about my shoes in the military if I'd had resolene . . . shoe polish over it makes one super shine. . . . 

May God bless, 

Dwight

Great info! Thanks for making me resolute in my decision not to use it. I like my shoes of somewhat pliable and floppy leather, more for comfort and warmth than for protecting my feet from chainsaw cuts and falling objects. 

3 hours ago, inkfountain said:

Great info! Thanks for making me resolute in my decision not to use it. I like my shoes of somewhat pliable and floppy leather, more for comfort and warmth than for protecting my feet from chainsaw cuts and falling objects. 

Make sure you post those shoes . . .  we need to see good things like that.

I'm making a pair of "sort of" moccasins maybe this winter . . . cutting the tops off a pair of my worn out favorite tennis shoes . . . adding buffalo suede tops . . . if I can figure out how to do it.  My feet are cold abuot 330 or so days a year . . . want to try and change that a bit.

May God bless,

Dwight

I'm in a similar situation as the OP. I'm planning to refinish a pair of leather boots, deglazing and staining w/ Fiebings dye (link to boots FYI, mine are light grey). I'm considering using Resolene to seal them, but I'm wondering about conditioning down the road. I live in New England and between snow and road salt my shoes take a beating. If I use Resolene, do I risk the leather drying out / cracking underneath it with no way to recondition? And this there a risk that the Resolene will wear off unevenly over time? 

What's the best way to protect these post-dying so that they stay flexible, keep the color sealed in, and achieve some level of water resistance (waterproof not 100% necessary)?

Read a few other blogs/posts suggesting deglaze > dye > conditioner > carnauba wax (instead of Resolene) - would this be a good route? THANK YOU!

16 hours ago, EBoston said:

I'm in a similar situation as the OP. I'm planning to refinish a pair of leather boots, deglazing and staining w/ Fiebings dye (link to boots FYI, mine are light grey). I'm considering using Resolene to seal them, but I'm wondering about conditioning down the road. I live in New England and between snow and road salt my shoes take a beating. If I use Resolene, do I risk the leather drying out / cracking underneath it with no way to recondition? And this there a risk that the Resolene will wear off unevenly over time? 

What's the best way to protect these post-dying so that they stay flexible, keep the color sealed in, and achieve some level of water resistance (waterproof not 100% necessary)?

Read a few other blogs/posts suggesting deglaze > dye > conditioner > carnauba wax (instead of Resolene) - would this be a good route? THANK YOU!

use your favorite shoe care products on your shoes. no need to overthink this.