Sign in to follow this  
Katballou

Total novice here looking at a Consew 206RB

Total novice here looking at a Consew 206RB (no additional numbers). How does this compare to new models? I have sewn garments for years, but want to get into leather; is this a good choice? What age am I looking at with this model and what would be an appropriate price range? Thank you for any information or additional suggestions!

Edited by Northmount
made title more descriptive

1 hour ago, Katballou said:

Total novice here looking at a Consew 206RB (no additional numbers). How does this compare to new models? I have sewn garments for years, but want to get into leather; is this a good choice? What age am I looking at with this model and what would be an appropriate price range? Thank you for any information or additional suggestions!

Really no number, or you just don't know the number?  Have you seen the machine?  Do you have any photos?  Is the machine something you've seen offered for sale online somewhere?  You'll want to know the condition of the machine and whether or not it has a servo motor.  I've seen photos of the first 206 and it said "206RB-1", but I don't know if any of the earliest production units didn't have the "-1".  What's the asking price?  Delivered?  Are you able to visit the machine and try it out before buying?

You want to get into leather... what kind of leather, what thicknesses, how many layers?  What do you want to make?  Among my machines I have a 206RB-5 and I love it, but there is no one machine that will do it all.

Edited by MtlBiker

Consew 206RB was the first ones made for Consew by Seiko in Japan.  Should be hammertone  gray.  Great machines.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher

just bought a 206RB I'M to wanting to the the difference in models too!  S/N says TH 9004118, so I think it's from 1990?

IMG_4986.jpg

The differences in the various generations of the 206rb are pretty slight.  The 206rb and 206rb-1 and 206rb-2 are more or less the same.   The 206rb-3 on up have a different stitch length and reverse mechanism.    Starting with the rb-4 they went from being made by Seiko in Japan to being made in China.

The Consew manuals are not great - I’d suggest downloading a manual for the same machine made by Seiko.   I don’t know the Seiko model off the top of my head, but it shouldn’t be hard to find.

Seiko STH-8B  Maybe?  It looks very similar.    I prefer it to my singer. Uses gears instead of a belt drive.