Danne

Why I left Instagram (leeches)

I do leathercraft as a hobby, and of course Instagram is a good place to show off your work when you do this as a business.

Instagram is also a good place to connect with other crafters. 

Now to the problem, if someone asked me a question about a material or source for something, I was always willing to share. If I asked someone I never talked to before I I understood that I might not get an answer, some people don't share, or don't have the time to share, and I respect that. (I'm not talking about in depth construction questions, it was more that I asked about a material that was used and such) I did talk to a lot of crafters and we shared solutions, materials, sources and such, but I also quite often got messages from crafters that asked me for a source, or what material I used, and I shared it, and tried to help as much as possible, like what glue I had tried for that material, or where to source something in a smaller quantity, and other tips regarding what I shared. On multiple occasions a little later I asked that person about some new material they have found, and to my surprise they answer with a complete LIE. (Example: If I would use "Velodon" for a watch strap here, and someone ask me what material is that? and I answer "Ohh it's salpa, bonded leather") like obvious lie to avoid sharing. 

I personally found it and Etsy to be well stocked with folks who were 110% competitive with every one else . . . and for the most part . . . seemed to be folks I did not want to deal with.

Every now and then I'll inadvertently wind up there . . . mostly when I'm looking for an image . . . and they'll let me have it for only $29.95 . . . or if I sign up and agree to a monthly charge of $9.95 with a maximum of 30 images per month.

I steer clear . . . and I think you made a really good decision 

May God bless,

Dwight

It's the same behavior in real life sometimes! You are not supposed to leave your city and stay in the woods!

You only have to filter the infos you get and keep only the good ones!

I also don't like insta because i don't like showing off, but it's a hell of a tool to promote your work ,sure the majority are rubbish and are good only for the time spend in the toilet, but you can also find good things!

To be honest, I'm not surprised by any bad behavior I hear of anymore.  Kindness, sincerity and honesty are in seemingly in short supply.  Danne has always been very generous here in showing excellent work and details on what it takes to produce it.  Can't ask for much more than that.

Much of the internet irks me these days.  There is one site I asked to be removed from because of the unkind people and trolls who delighted in being negative whether they actually felt that way or not.  There is something to say about being a provocateur and something else when you are intending to cause someone anger and frustration.  How sad those people must be.

I've pulled back from several of the sites I frequent.  Getting off of the computer is actually healthier as it turns out!  Mentally and physically too.

5 hours ago, Tugadude said:

To be honest, I'm not surprised by any bad behavior I hear of anymore.  Kindness, sincerity and honesty are in seemingly in short supply.  Danne has always been very generous here in showing excellent work and details on what it takes to produce it.  Can't ask for much more than that.

Much of the internet irks me these days.  There is one site I asked to be removed from because of the unkind people and trolls who delighted in being negative whether they actually felt that way or not.  There is something to say about being a provocateur and something else when you are intending to cause someone anger and frustration.  How sad those people must be.

I've pulled back from several of the sites I frequent.  Getting off of the computer is actually healthier as it turns out!  Mentally and physically too.

I've been booted from a couple of forums for telling the other members the truth, that THEY were being jerks and driving new members away with their negativity and elitist attitudes. Some people can't handle the truth.

3 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

I've been booted from a couple of forums for telling the other members the truth, that THEY were being jerks and driving new members away with their negativity and elitist attitudes. Some people can't handle the truth.

Wow, you couldn't of had a straight face when you wrote that.

I don't do any kind of ' social media' ...period.     Never have, never will.

LW.net is the only site I go on to chat with other like minded  crafters  :thumbsup:

HS 

i guess i 'm glad i never went down the instagram river. As for social media i used it for awhile now due to some people actually waking up and revealing it for what it is, a social mind f@#K to destroy any civility in life between free thought, I don't use it anymore. don't need someone playing with algorithms in my grey matter like a cat  in a sand box. Never been kicked off a forum but i have pissed a lot of thin skinned folks who cant handle the truth too, even on this forum. You see folks all the bad guys aren't locked up in fact very few are and the worst of them know how to play the regular joe, naïve joe, to the hilt. Sadly that's most of the population on the planet. Normal folks refuse to understand that concept just because they cant understand it. Bottom line is social media has created this new form of narcissism that we now deal with daily, lying , cheating, multiple personalities, fake accounts, trolls, spammers, hackers. Very few good places like this forum exist on something that should be so profound as the www, its been destroyed by greed. Kindness, sincerity and honesty have been destroyed by bots and algorithms and money.

:17:

I also did the "social" media thing for a while.  Originally it was a convenient way to keep in touch with my daughter when she moved to the other side of the country.  But with the way it has devolved over the last few years and as Chuck mentions the total narcissism that it seems to breed, I've pretty much given up on it.  This forum and one motorcycle related forum are about the only types of online discussion areas that I'm involved with any more.

/dwight

Danne was one of the first one I contacted on Instagram and he was extremely helpful with advices.

Fortunately, I have not any problem with social media (It helps when you don't many follower or friends on Facebook). My guideline for myself is simple. Life is too short for me to waist my time on free negative comments.

I use instagram mainly for Inspiration and keep up with the latest from some of the crafters I admire.

Ngoc Dung Phung

I get where you're coming from! It's disheartening when some folks misuse the spirit of sharing and community on Instagram. It's supposed to be a platform for connecting and helping each other grow, especially in creative niches like leathercraft. And for those who've had their fill of Instagram due to such experiences, it's worth considering other options and sell instagram account. It allows others to take the reins and continue fostering that sense of community.

Edited by JohnJohnson

On 11/24/2022 at 10:06 PM, chuck123wapati said:

Bottom line is social media has created this new form of narcissism that we now deal with daily, lying , cheating, multiple personalities, fake accounts, trolls, spammers, hackers. Very few good places like this forum exist on something that should be so profound as the www, its been destroyed by greed. Kindness, sincerity and honesty have been destroyed by bots and algorithms and money.

:16: All too often I see people in the media getting into all sorts of serious sh*t because of social media , and, end up on the wrong side of the law and their reputations and careers  are destroyed , all  at the  press of a button. 

This is the only forum I go on. Its a place of fellowship and learning  :)

HS