Sign in to follow this  
Teradee

I guess I’m struggling…(so here’s a multiple choice set of options)

Not sure exactly where to find the right solution so I thought I’d post my sewing machine dilemma and see if you all have strong opinions.  :)

I have a few older machines (singer 66, singer 31-15, and a singer 18-3)

This is just a hobby for me, but I love using the right tool for the job…but paying too dollar right now is not reasonable for me.  

so…would you:

1 - pay someone to update one of the machines I own and make it more usable and stable.

2 - put a hand crank on one of these machines or a new servo motor/diy

3 - keep looking for a machine that would be a decent “Jack of all trades” without breaking the bank (and what machines would those be). (Note: I want to see lots of variety to try things out, but tend to like medium to heavy weight “guy” stuff)

4 - go to a dealer and buy something used and if so, what would I be looking for?

5 - swallow hard and buy a modern, fairly expensive new machine (and here are the ones to choose from)?

LOTS of options.   I never said it would be easy advice!  :)

Thanks in advance!   
Jason

13 minutes ago, Teradee said:

4 - go to a dealer and buy something used and if so, what would I be looking for?

5 - swallow hard and buy a modern, fairly expensive new machine (and here are the ones to choose from)?

Buy a brand name machine like a Juki. If possible either a good used one probably from a dealer or buy a new clone machine. A new clone would be more cost effective then buying a new Juki LS-1341. The Juki LS-1341 is their replacement to the older Juki LS-341. I would suggest a cylinder bed machine with a flat top table attachment. Used: Juki LS-341 or New: LS-341 clone There are a lot of clones in this class too choose from like Cowboy CB341, Cobra class26,  Kobe LS-1341, Techsew 2750 to name a few.

However if the Singer 18-3 is in good working order I wouldn't sell it.

kgg

Some say they breake the bank at $1K some at $1/2K already and some at  $2K or $3K... it depends on how much play money you have (or don´t have) for your hobby.

Same with medium and heavy work - it depends from what kind of work you come and what you want to do now. If you have sewn garments and curtains (just as an example) then tent canvas will be heavy duty for you if you come from parachute harness sewing or holster sewing then tent canvas will be rather light duty... (looking at you machine list I know you have not sewn parachute harnesses ;))

Upgrading your machines is partially possible - but depend on how they are set up now. Speed reducer and servo motor are upgrades but will probably not take them where you want them cause the machine have their limits and all of them are just "plain" drop feed machines and rather light duty machines (but again it depends on the view / from what work you come and what you want to do now).

kgg mentioned some good machines but we do not know what kind of work you have or what products you want to make.

A basic point is what total thickness (not single layers) of material do you want to sew.

Used machines are probably an option too. I bought all my machines used (see my signature)  cause I do not have the output that would justify new big $$ machines (the breaking the bank thing - you know ;)).

There is a pined thread of how to find a leather sewing machine - maybe that helps you.

Edited by Constabulary