Icho

Adler 269-373 back stitche length.

Just wondering if anyone would happen to know how th adjust the reverse stitch length so that it matches the forward stitch length on an Adler 269-373. I've been searching and only found answers for other machines. I did see an old post from years ago about this but there was no solution  so instead of restarting an old post I figured I'd start a fresh one. 

The Adler 269 Service Manual describes how to adjust the feed motion eccentric on page 6. This is where you can adjust forward/reverse feed balance. On this machine, when the needle is at the lowest position (NOT the hook timing position) the needle is not supposed to move when you flip the reverse lever up/down. If the needle moves, then your feed eccentric is not properly centered.

The relevant page in English is here:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/461721/Duerkopp-Adler-269.html?page=6#manual

You will also need to adjust vertical feed timing after you change horizontal feed timing.

Edited by Uwe

I'm not sure if I am checking it correctly but I turned the wheel until it is all the way down. When I lift the lever into reverse the needle and feed dog move back what looks to be the stitch length. 

1 hour ago, Uwe said:

The Adler 269 Service Manual describes how to adjust the feed motion eccentric on page 6. This is where you can adjust forward/reverse feed balance. On this machine, when the needle is at the lowest position (NOT the hook timing position) the needle is not supposed to move when you flip the reverse lever up/down. If the needle moves, then your feed eccentric is not properly centered.

The relevant page in English is here:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/461721/Duerkopp-Adler-269.html?page=6#manual

You will also need to adjust vertical feed timing after you change horizontal feed timing.

I'm not sure if I am checking it correctly but I turned the wheel until it is all the way down. When I lift the lever into reverse the needle and feed dog move back what looks to be the stitch length. So if I am checking and understanding it correctly it definitely needs to be adjusted. 

I did end up coming across a video for a pfaff that is the same idea. In the video for that particular machine he had to set the needle bar up 4mm and make sure the feed dog isn't moving. I know it is a different machine with different specs and I have to go with the service manual for my machine but I figured I'd just check. At 4mm up the feed dogs and needle bar did not move. Tomorrow I will bring it into spec according to the adler 269-373 service manual. I do already have all of the manuals printed out and organized in a binder. I did that the evening I brought the machine home. 

The other thing I in the video was what looks to be called the pressure piece. I noticed mine is broken on 1 side. See pic. I will look into getting a new one but if it ends up being a pain I may end up making one out of aluminum. 

Thank you for the help so far. 

20221126_232007.jpg

Not yet. I'm waiting for parts. That will be a couple weeks...hopefully less. I will update when I get it back together and try it out. 

Edited by Icho

By the way, Adler uses adjustable end stops to allow you to dial in perfectly matching forward and reverse stitch length - for one specific stitch length you choose. This feature is designed for manufacturing settings where you use the same stitch length for long periods of time.

Place the stitch length lever in the forward position for the desired stitch length. Loosen the end stop screw and move the end stop to touch the lever. Lock this end stop position by tightening the screw again.

Then move the lever to match the reverse stitch length - turn the handwheel by hand until the tip of the needle is very close to the previous stitch hole. Fine-tune the lever position until the needle perfectly aligns with the previous stitch hole. Move the corresponding end stop to touch the lever in this position and lock it in.

Now you can merrily flip the lever all the way up and down to either end stop and get perfectly matching forward and reverse stitches for this particular stitch length.

Repeat every time you change stitch length. It takes less than a minute with a little practice.

Also, make sure these end stops are adjusted all the way out to achieve maximum stitch length.

image.jpeg

On 12/12/2022 at 6:07 AM, Uwe said:

image.jpeg

That is an interesting part (the adjustable stop)

i have never seen this one before

does someone have (or can make) better pictures of it so i can see the complete design?

regards michiel

On 12/12/2022 at 12:07 AM, Uwe said:

By the way, Adler uses adjustable end stops to allow you to dial in perfectly matching forward and reverse stitch length - for one specific stitch length you choose. This feature is designed for manufacturing settings where you use the same stitch length for long periods of time.

Place the stitch length lever in the forward position for the desired stitch length. Loosen the end stop screw and move the end stop to touch the lever. Lock this end stop position by tightening the screw again.

Then move the lever to match the reverse stitch length - turn the handwheel by hand until the tip of the needle is very close to the previous stitch hole. Fine-tune the lever position until the needle perfectly aligns with the previous stitch hole. Move the corresponding end stop to touch the lever in this position and lock it in.

Now you can merrily flip the lever all the way up and down to either end stop and get perfectly matching forward and reverse stitches for this particular stitch length.

Repeat every time you change stitch length. It takes less than a minute with a little practice.

Also, make sure these end stops are adjusted all the way out to achieve maximum stitch length.

image.jpeg

So is there supposed to be a second stop like the one in the picture on the top? I don't see any stops for the reverse other than the broken plastic piece. I do have a new one coming so I hope that will solve the problem.

On 12/13/2022 at 1:55 AM, Michiel said:

That is an interesting part (the adjustable stop)

i have never seen this one before

does someone have (or can make) better pictures of it so i can see the complete design?

regards michiel

Here is a couple pics. It is a pretty simple piece. Let me know if you need any other info.

20221215_203323_resized 2.jpg

20221215_203351_resized 2.jpg

On 11/27/2022 at 5:22 AM, Icho said:

20221126_232007.jpg

I´m not an Adler expert but when I look at your picture and cross check the parts list of a 269 - I would guess your stitch length adjuster is not correctly assembled. Just a guess....

Bild1.thumb.jpg.eda6d2682dd20135bdc0e2c43e7067b4.jpg

Cross checked the older parts list as well:

You may also check the orientation of part # 268 16 004 0 - you (maybe) have to rotate it by 180° but I do not know the design of this part but f.i. on certain on Pfaff machines the orientation of this part matters!

Bild2.jpg.77af346c0e5181e80113c2670f0adc15.jpg

Edited by Constabulary

Thank you!

this will do

3 hours ago, Constabulary said:

I´m not an Adler expert but when I look at your picture and cross check the parts list of a 269 - I would guess your stitch length adjuster is not correctly assembled. Just a guess....

Bild1.thumb.jpg.eda6d2682dd20135bdc0e2c43e7067b4.jpg

Cross checked the older parts list as well:

You may also check the orientation of part # 268 16 004 0 - you (maybe) have to rotate it by 180° but I do not know the design of this part but f.i. on certain on Pfaff machines the orientation of this part matters!

Bild2.jpg.77af346c0e5181e80113c2670f0adc15.jpg

Good catch. I recently had it apart to see if I should remake part # 268 16 004 0(the plastic stopper) or buy and realized that it was cheap enough so that is one of the parts I'm waiting for. I thought it felt different going together than it did coming apart. I haven't had the machine running since and I know the reverse was a problem with the part the correct way. 

Once part # 268 16 004 0 comes in, I will see if it makes a difference rotating it 180 makes a difference. 

I did see a video on the backstitch topic, it was an Adler but a different machine. That plastic piece (part # 268 16 004 0) was the problem. There was a newer version of it that had a bit of a chamfer on the backstitch side of it. It is also something I will keep in mind even though it is a different machine,  it looks to be the same idea. 

On 1/22/2023 at 11:50 AM, Constabulary said:

@Icho

Just checking. Any progress here? Did you get the parts and have installed them?

The parts didn't get here until after the holidays but I think I got it. I am not sure what fixed it and I hope it keeps up. It is looking really good for the first few backstitches then you see that it is off by a bit. See pics. Bottom with string tag. It actually seems to have gotten better since I took this pic. Here is a list of what I did. 
Checked the foot travel synchronization. Unfortunately it made no difference. 
Played with tension. It helped but minimally. 
Tried a larger needle. That helped! It made the normal forward stitch pretty much perfect. It didn't matter what thickness the leather was that I put though but it didn't help the backstitch much but it did help a bit. Not the stitch length but how clean the stitch was. 
This is where I started noticing real differences. 
I didn't feel confident about my tension assembly because when I lifted the feet, it didn't fully release the thread. I took it off and stared at it and thought about it. I noticed that it wasn't pushing the tensioner free of the thread so I played with a plate in the assembly. When I put it back together the thread released a lot better and the tensioning knob seemed to be more noticeable. The stitches were also better. Them when I turned up the tension, I got what you see in the pics.

At this point I have had at least 80% of the components off or at least loose on the machine between cleaning and tuning but at least I am pretty comfortable servicing it now and it seems to be running smooth. I even completed my first project... a bag for my wife. The pic is also below.

I still have to get used to the machine since I'm very new to sewing machines. I'm not convinced with what the best needle height is to flip it to reverse. From what I read, just past the lowest point but I had good luck with the needle up. I just had to align to the first hole but then the stitches matched nicely.

May be an image of saddle-stitched leather

No photo description available.

320997985_856223692345347_5972600734047353901_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p180x540&_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=GqCG32Hd16kAX-9M9R1&tn=96WKW6qLYB2dqTDq&_nc_ht=scontent-yyz1-1.xx&oh=00_AfBgjYU18sy3nO0iubW2MEwodL_d9Vl6rfJwg99ngv0gBw&oe=63D63D00