Sign in to follow this  

Taking a break from hand sewing to practice machine sewing raised leather straps (again).  Think I'm making progress with inline presser feet from @CowboyBob on my 441 clone.  I've been able to sew tight to the raised filler and maintain a 1/8" border.  Took me a while to adjust the presser foot timing to my liking, but now it's a quick change over between the inline feet and the regular center/side feet.  Very happy with these compact feet for sewing tight to an edge.  Took a little practice to smoothly back out of the corners, so that the rear foot has a place to land.

DSC_9167.thumb.jpg.0a9875ae5223e1618a77a928fe0f175f.jpg

The raised pieces are made from 2 pieces of bridle leather, split to 3 oz for the cover and 7 oz for the back.  I use a veg tan filler piece 1/4" or 3/8" wide on these straps, and figure about 1/4" (2 x 1/8") of additional width for the cover wrapping around the sides of the filler.  I glue the cover and shape it with a glass slicker and bone folder then sew and trim the edges before finishing the edges.  I will use raised leather for bridle nosebands/browbands, dog collars, and belts.  I've been sewing these by hand, but getting closer to production by machine sewing.

DSC_9166.thumb.jpg.2fbf7710ddf53a79cc11e2c3c63d6aab.jpg

Awesome work!

Looking really good!

I have only repaired one piece from a stallion halter that had a raised leather strap, and it wasn't until I was done that it dawned on me that it had been easier to make the cover a bit oversize and then trimmed it later on.

And it is a darn nice looking sewing machine too. 

I want one of thse presser feet for my class 3. I can see a lot of applications for it. I sent a PM, hope cowboy sees it. Nice work!

14 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Awesome work!

Thanks, Wiz.  I'm fiddling with proportions and getting used to the look of the machine stitch but I think it's headed in the right direction.

10 hours ago, Mulesaw said:

Looking really good!

I have only repaired one piece from a stallion halter that had a raised leather strap, and it wasn't until I was done that it dawned on me that it had been easier to make the cover a bit oversize and then trimmed it later on.

And it is a darn nice looking sewing machine too. 

Thank you, Mulesaw.  I still haven't worked out a method to machine sew swells that taper continuously to a thin edge.  That might be a hand sew only option. 

27 minutes ago, luckystudio13 said:

. Looks incredible !

Thanks for your encouragement!

3 minutes ago, Hags said:

I want one of thse presser feet for my class 3. I can see a lot of applications for it. I sent a PM, hope cowboy sees it. Nice work!

The inline feet are listed among the accessories for the CB4500.  https://www.tolindsewmach.com/cb-acc-pack.html

I looked on the LMC site and didn't see them. Thanks, Bob has replied and I'm on my way! Sorry to hijack the thread..

16 hours ago, Hags said:

I looked on the LMC site and didn't see them. Thanks, Bob has replied and I'm on my way! Sorry to hijack the thread..

@CowboyBob has them made for the Cowboy machines he sells. They also fit on Cobra and Techsew 441 clones, as well as on the actual Juki TSC-441.