ami

Is Juki 1541 a good choice?

Good day everyone!

I'm having a hesitation moment while considering to buy a new machine and would appreciate your expertise.

I'm planning to sew clothing (vests, tops, skirts) from leather (upcycling old leather jackets). And I was looking for a solid industrial machine since I'm planning to sell what I make. I came across a used Juki 1541 that is being sold for about 950$. Seems like a good deal? I found a lot of good reviews about this machine, but still I want to be sure I'm making a good decision for the task I need it for. Next week I'm going to test the machine and see how I like it.

But I'm also thinking that it might be better to just buy a new machine, which is "safer" in some way. E.g. I found a new Typical GC 6-7D for about 850$ (used for 550$). 

To sum up, my questions are:

1. Is Juki 1541 a good machine for sewing leather clothing?

2. What should I pay attention to while inspecting a used Juki 1541 machine? Apart from it obviously being able to sew :)

3. What's a better choice for me in the long run: Juki 1541 or Typical GC 6-7D?

P.S. I already have Juki machines (Juki DDL 8100e and a home overlock Juki MO-654DE) and I just have to say that I love how they perform.

Edited by ami

I would have thought that the 1541 will be very suitable for what you describe and hold its value over the Typical better  as they are by far the better known maker

10 hours ago, ami said:

To sum up, my questions are:

1. Is Juki 1541 a good machine for sewing leather clothing?

2. What should I pay attention to while inspecting a used Juki 1541 machine? Apart from it obviously being able to sew :)

3. What's a better choice for me in the long run: Juki 1541 or Typical GC 6-7D?

The Juki DNU-1541 is a good machine but purchasing a used machine is always a gamble. Do you have any pictures of the machine to show what condition it is in?

If it is just the DNU1541 and not the Juki DNU-1541 "S" I would probably pass since that model does not have the safety clutch feature. I would also pass on the Typical also as it also does not have the safety clutch. This may not be a problem for you but the safety clutch can save your machine from a expensive repair should you jam the machine up.  

Depending on the items you are planning on sewing you may want to watch the two following video's to help you decide what type of machine would best suite your needs. The first video is of a  triple feed Juki DNU-1541S with the safety clutch and the second is of a walking foot Juki DU-1181N without the safety clutch both with servo motors. The videos show how these machines handle light, medium and heavy fabric.

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JES-2I7h3o&t=3s 

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKJuKTrjsbw&t=313s

If possible buy a brand name machine like a Juki rather then a clone machine.

Buy Once, Cry Once.

kgg

53 minutes ago, kgg said:

The Juki DNU-1541 is a good machine but purchasing a used machine is always a gamble. Do you have any pictures of the machine to show what condition it is in?

If it is just the DNU1541 and not the Juki DNU-1541 "S" I would probably pass since that model does not have the safety clutch feature. I would also pass on the Typical also as it also does not have the safety clutch. This may not be a problem for you but the safety clutch can save your machine from a expensive repair should you jam the machine up.  

Depending on the items you are planning on sewing you may want to watch the two following video's to help you decide what type of machine would best suite your needs. The first video is of a  triple feed Juki DNU-1541S with the safety clutch and the second is of a walking foot Juki DU-1181N without the safety clutch both with servo motors. The videos show how these machines handle light, medium and heavy fabric.

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JES-2I7h3o&t=3s 

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKJuKTrjsbw&t=313s

If possible buy a brand name machine like a Juki rather then a clone machine.

Buy Once, Cry Once.

kgg

Thank you for the reply!

1. I didn't know the importance of the safety clutch, especially that I'm not a big manufacturer, so I won't be loading the machine up that much. But why a Juki DU-1181N is okay without the safety clutch, but not a Juki DNU-1541?

2. The DU-1181N seems like a double feed machine? I was thinking a triple feed sewing machine would be a better choice for my needs.

I have attached some photos of the machine and I do agree that buying a used machine is a gamble...

sewing machine (1).png

1 hour ago, ami said:

I didn't know the importance of the safety clutch, especially that I'm not a big manufacturer, so I won't be loading the machine up that much. But why a Juki DU-1181N is okay without the safety clutch, but not a Juki DNU-1541?

The Juki DNU-1541 is a much more capable (rated thread size / sewing thickness) of a sewing machine that can handle much more under the pressor foot then the Juki DU-1181N so there is more or a greater chance of overloading the machine.

The better choice between the Juki DNU-1541 and the DU-1181N would be the triple feed but that said my 1541 S hates thin stuff and that is where the 1181N excels in comparison.

If you go an to look at the 1541 tilt the machine back and check the underside for items worn drive belt, bearings and build of lint. Amount of oil and color of oil in the small drive gear tank. Check for slop in the needle bar and check for thread wear tracks in the guides to help determine the amount of use. The table needs a bit of TLC but that is not a real big concern. There should be no unusual noises when the machine is running like knocking or banging. The main question is why are they selling the machine as it appears from the one only photo to be in an production environment???

kgg

1 hour ago, kgg said:

The Juki DNU-1541 is a much more capable (rated thread size / sewing thickness) of a sewing machine that can handle much more under the pressor foot then the Juki DU-1181N so there is more or a greater chance of overloading the machine.

The better choice between the Juki DNU-1541 and the DU-1181N would be the triple feed but that said my 1541 S hates thin stuff and that is where the 1181N excels in comparison.

If you go an to look at the 1541 tilt the machine back and check the underside for items worn drive belt, bearings and build of lint. Amount of oil and color of oil in the small drive gear tank. Check for slop in the needle bar and check for thread wear tracks in the guides to help determine the amount of use. The table needs a bit of TLC but that is not a real big concern. There should be no unusual noises when the machine is running like knocking or banging. The main question is why are they selling the machine as it appears from the one only photo to be in an production environment???

kgg

Hmm, I see. I was kind of afraid that Juki DNU-1541 would be an overkill, but from what I see people are managing to use it for lighter projects.

Yes, it's a production in Ukraine, so I can imagine many reason for them to sell it, I will ask that question anyway.

But okay, what a coincidence! :o I checked their other propositions, and they are also selling a 1181N Juki for 550$. I will definitely test it too.

sewing machineтт-min.png

Edited by ami
added an image

1 hour ago, ami said:

But okay, what a coincidence! :o I checked their other propositions, and they are also selling a 1181N Juki for 550$. I will definitely test it too.

The photo of the looks in really good shape and doesn't appear to have been used very much as by the wear on table frame, the foot pedal for the motor, table top, hand wheel or the body of the machine. Appears both machines have a needle positioner which can be set so the needle stops in either the up or down position. Since you are going to look at them take along a sample of the thickest material including any seams you are planning on using and do a test run on the machines and see which would work best for your needs.

kgg