JeffGC

Holster Plate Problem

I've had a Cowboy 4500 for about twelve years. I sew holsters and belts and I love the machine. I have not, though, been successful when attempting to use a holster plate. Firstly, I verified that I could leave the feed dog in place; I operated the machine without screwing down the holster plate and saw no movement (image attached). Then I used a new needle. After a few stitches, it will skip a stitch or two and, basically become a complete mess. The top thread becomes twisted and frayed. Images of the thread damage and a row of stitching are attached.

If someone can help me, I'd be most grateful.

Jeff Chosid

IMG_3660.jpeg

IMG_3666.jpeg

IMG_3667.jpeg

IMG_3668.jpeg

Don't get me wrong . . . I am interested in the final answer . . . but let me ask you a question  . . . 

Why did you decide you need this attachment . . . why do you need to use it???

My reason for asking is simple . . . I do the same things . . . holster, belts, knife sheaths . . . etc.

I put the flat table attachment on my machine . . . leave it on all the time.

It works great for me in every thing I do.  Just finished up two cowboy buscadero holster belts and one holster . . . did it without the attachment.

Lemme know . . . I'm really curious.

May God bless,

Dwight

Hello Jeff,

Most likely you are not holding the workpiece level and steady which deflects the needle. That makes it harder to pull the needle up causing the flagging. A small amount of deflection can put the thread in the path of the hook causing fraying and breaking.

Dwight-Good question and I'm asking it myself!

About 99% of the work I do is flat, such as belts and pancake holsters (which are molded after sewing. Occasionally, I'll make a Tom Threepersons holster (Only for really good friends or for myself). These are lined and also have a welt. Also, the belt loop is already sewn in place, not leaving much room. The edge to be sewn is about .500". Since this holster is folded over before sewing, there is a tendency for the sewing area to be slightly canted, resulting in the stitching not being perfectly parallel to the finished edge. As you can see in the attached images, the stitching is fine on the front of the holster but closer to the edge on the back.

One solution, which has been the one I've taken, is to flatten the leather with your hand while sewing. On this holster, I wasn't careful enough. Since it was for me, it didn't matter. 

My plan is to return to the flat plate and be careful when sewing this style of holster!

IMG_3669.jpeg

IMG_3670.jpeg