I was due to Judge leather exhibits at a few metro shows south of  Perth , Western Australia  this year,  only for the organiser  to contact me to say , "there aren't any to Judge " *  The same happened last year too.  .It just left me wondering, why? Is it cost, loss of interest , a bit of both ?   While there are some at our biggie, Perth Royal Show, where I've Judged before,  , none at the smaller shows.  In previous shows where I've Judged before, there was a good  turn out of exhibits . Mostly quality work too...a few ' not so good'  as well,  but mostly quality .  And  I always try to give positive and/or encouraging comments on each exhibit , even on the not so good exhibits. 

Even exhibits for other handicrafts were a bit bereft .  :dunno:

*the exhibition sheds have  quite an assortment of handicrafts , including leather. 

HS

Is there an entry fee for the show? And what can be won?

I'm not sure I would participate in such a show, even if there were any (I'm not aware of local crafts shows "for everybody" in France. There are competitions for professional apprentices, but I'm not one of them). What I am trying to say is that there may well be people around doing leatherwork, but they just don't see the point of participating in a show.

3 hours ago, Klara said:

Is there an entry fee for the show? And what can be won?

The entry fee for each exhibit is $1- , $2 at most.  What do you win ? Not very much . Depending on how many exhibits are entered, you might win $2-3 bucks for each win, , maybe  $5 , but its not about  the money, thats only a token . Its the winning certificate at the end. Theres prestige , bragging rights , and the acknowledgement  of your skills, promotion of the craft . For those in business ( like me ) , its  good  promo advertising . 

There is an entry fee for the whole  show in general , kids, adults, concessions, etc. 

3 hours ago, Klara said:

(I'm not aware of local crafts shows "for everybody" in France

I understand. Its a bit different here in Oz .   The exhibitons are either  displayed in a tin shed at the  back of the local footy oval,  , or a huge exhibition pavilion.  Theres  sewing, knitting, flowers ,  wood work, metal work , painting ,  food, cakes, beer, wine, kids arts & crafts....leather craft ,   etc. all under one roof .   Theres a multitude  of  arts & crafts etc.   in different sections and classes, and  the Judges  have experience in those particular sections  :)

HS

I guess it's an anglo-saxon specialty (I have read about similar events in the UK and USA), which is a pity. I used to have some show-worthy knitted pieces (my own designs)...

An entry fee of $ 1 or 2 should really not put people off. I expected a lot more, given that I'm paying  around Euro 40 for a dog show entry (you get an ugly cup, or a coloured ribbon if you are lucky enough to win. And prestige, which doesn't feed the dog, unless you're a breeder.) Then I really don't know why no exhibits were entered...

On 11/30/2022 at 11:48 PM, Klara said:

Then I really don't know why no exhibits were entered...

The only thing I can think of , is cost of buying leather supplies etc.  They have increased quite a bit these last few years , the pandemic may have something to do with it too. I have a  small business, in regional  West Oz , and although I can absorb  and /or adjust to the increases , those that are doing it just as a hobby may think its just not worth it.  The other possible factor  is cost  of freight ....Holy cow !! A lot  of the leather supplies come from over east . Its often a bit hit and miss as well. I either get my stuff within ten days, (standard post)......or up to a month...or it goes missing. 

HS

4 hours ago, Handstitched said:

The only thing I can think of , is cost of buying leather supplies etc.  They have increased quite a bit these last few years , the pandemic may have something to do with it too. I have a  small business, in regional  West Oz , and although I can absorb  and /or adjust to the increases , those that are doing it just as a hobby may think its just not worth it.  The other possible factor  is cost  of freight ....Holy cow !! A lot  of the leather supplies come from over east . Its often a bit hit and miss as well. I either get my stuff within ten days, (standard post)......or up to a month...or it goes missing. 

HS

The cost of leather has been going up dramatically for several years.  That started long before the pandemic, unfortunately.  Shipping cost has also slowly been creeping up for some time as well after having stayed fairly steady for a long time.  Shipping service has also gotten really bad.  Granted, I do get the majority of things that are shipped to me, but far too many take forever to arrive - if at all.  The US Postal Service has always been fairly bad here, but UPS/FedEx has become as bad if not worse.

55 minutes ago, billybopp said:

The US Postal Service has always been fairly bad here, but UPS/FedEx has become as bad if not worse.

I hear ya . Theres so many factors that would cause a leather crafter or hobbyist to be put off ,  cost  and the efficiency of freight .  Our " express post" , used to be just that, but that can't be relied upon any more. 

Theres only one leather  supplier in Perth now  ( the  one I use) 2 1/2 hrs away  ..and thats it. They're an agent for an eastern states wholesaler.  They  also do hardware, dyes etc. , but compared to my suppliers in the east, they ain't cheap, almost double the price compared to the eastern suppliers, even after freight . And, to my knowledge, there are no tanneries  in my part of the universe.  All tanneries are in the east.  

HS