DaveP

Bag punch sharpening?

I have an Osborn 1 3/4" bag punch/ oblong punch that is in desperate need of sharpening! The 1st one I ordered  had dents on the cutting edge and sent it back. Second one wasn't as bad but wouldn't cut through paper let alone veg tan leather. How do you sharpen them? I did sand the edge (both outside and in) with 400 grit paper and the 600. Buffed on my buffing machine. Still dull ! Pic is the 1st one I received. The one I did sharpen I had to beat to submission with a leather mallet until finally went through.

Thanks again!

Bag punch oblong punch.jpg

I believe Springfield Leather has some online tutorials related to sharpening of all sorts of tools.

I sharpen them by hand with oil stones, working the flat sides and rolling onto the ends.  For this 1/2" Osborne punch, I spent some time with a coarse stone reshaping the flat sides then making a ~20 deg. bevel.  The cutting edge remained flat and I didn't touch the inside.  Worked the bevel with medium and fine oil stones, polished on a buffing wheel, and finished sharpening on a fine stone followed by stropping. Alternatively, you could hand sharpen by attaching wet/dry abrasive paper to a smooth surface like plate glass using 3M #77 spray adhesive.  This punch isn't razor sharp but I am happy with it. 

DSC_9186.thumb.jpg.b92e7c814d3eb186efc2926b7e310936.jpg 

I have used wet/dry sandpaper in the past. Starting with 600 and going as far as you want. I just taped them to the table, sprayed a bit of water on them and went at it till I got it sharp. On the inside I used a popsicle stick with sandpaper wound around it till it fit.  I have found d a Tormek grinder recently that makes the outside much faster to do. I also sent back a C.S. Osborne punch. Not impressed at all. The one one I got from Weaver was wicked sharp on arrival.

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into the video's. 

TomE that looks really nice. I'll really have to work on mine to get that sharp. It's only time!

Wow, you would think a punch for 80usd would be sharp enough to be possible to use. I'm sure the steel is good and all, but tbh I would send it back if it looked like that. But there are other famous old brands that do the same, and lose customers to new tool producers.