327fed

Eco Boots

I was in a French's boot store today. Saw these "Sustainbility Series EcoBoots" which they say is their part to save the planet. Money (some) goes to national parks. Tag said veg tanned lather, jute, natural rubber, organic cotton. Only leather I saw was  in heel, maybe a layer in the sole. Some kind of synthetic looking fabric. Was discounted. Wonder why. Can't post photo because this fine new phone captured as 3.8 mb. 

David

If your new 9hone is a fine one it has a function for reducing the size of photos, that shouldn't be a problem (in my Samsung it comes up when I look at a picture in the Gallery).

As for the boots, (nearly) everything wants to be sustainable today, what is your point? For me the materials don't matter a lot as long as the quality is good enough to get 10 years wear out of my footwear... 

For me the point is that it is not leather, very poor quality workmanship for a company that always did better, materials look obviously synthetic and shoddy, as did stitching. When this  open fabric hits the cow manure your socks are gonna turn brown. This is a leatherworking forum and I am for use of leather. I’m not gonna get political but like organic food, etc these claims are rarely true. Leather is very sustainable, grow more grass and grain, feed more cattle, get more hides. 

I don't disagree with your point (or points), but I just didn't get it from your first post.

3 hours ago, 327fed said:

Leather is very sustainable, grow more grass and grain, feed more cattle, get more hides. 

I don't want to get political either but I'm afraid its to late. Gubmnets are cutting beef production radically as well as farming. It was all written years ago in agenda 21 as well as the paris climate accord. Yes its not a "conspiracy theory" its real and a lot of people were just to stupid to realize they were wrong and now to stubborn to admit it..https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2022/11/21/germany-cutting-back-meat-production-to-fight-global-warming-n512518

I am just thankful someone named Klara  agreed with me. I have a sister by that name and we haven’t agreed in years.

Curious as to what specific brand of boots the OP is talking about.  I went to French's website and looked around, didn't find any "sustainable" products at all.  I even did a quick search on the site for the term "sustainable" and "sustainability" and got zero results.

I sincerely would like to view the product myself and learn more about it.  Not that I'm interested in purchasing, just for basic knowledge.  

When broaching a topic like this I find it helpful to have more facts, ones that we all can look up and help decide for ourselves.  

On 11/28/2022 at 8:58 AM, 327fed said:

I was in a French's boot store today. Saw these "Sustainbility Series EcoBoots

Show us a picture!

Sorry. Thought I  said they were Laredo western style boots. Style 7411. I had intended to post a pic, but can’t. Sustainability series. Says Laredo/Dan Post on the tag. I used to wear a lot of Laredo boots when I was a teenager, Dan Post when I got a job. Got married in a pair of Dan Post boots. 

I could not find them on the Laredo web site. Maybe close out/ discontinued. 

Edited by 327fed

At the risk of offending Dan Post devotees, they sort of look like something a kid learns how to do in summer camp.  Like a pot holder.  Sorry, that's the first thing that came to mind when I saw them.  Not for me.

I did find an example on the Dan Post website:  I bolded some verbiage to make sure it is clear what you are getting.

About The Ned Leather Boot

Sustainable. Unique. Lightweight. Eye-catching. All describe the Laredo Ned cowboy boot. The foot is made with vegetable tanned leather, no toxic chemicals were used in the tanning process. The basket weaver upper is made of Sustainable canvas. The insole is sourced of natural jute. The Orthotic insert is made of recycled foam and the outsole is natural rubber. stitched with natural cotton thread. The Laredo Ned Sustainable boot is part of our Eco-friendly series.

NED LEATHER BOOT Preview #1

NED LEATHER BOOT Preview #4

NED LEATHER BOOT Preview #5

Wearing these in high school would have got me beat up. And I do like Dan Post boots. image.thumb.jpeg.da180f8f02de0b511fa98ca991690b2b.jpeg

Edited by 327fed

Moc Toe boots used to be iconic boots for farmers and hunters. Nowadays people can wear moc toe boots for casual looks. We can recognize a pair of moc-toe boots by the toe cap with a U-shaped seam. The design of the shoe creates a spacious interior. We can use the shoes for different activities without hurting our toes.