Sign in to follow this  
AlZilla

Cutting the opening in an industrial table

I've acquired an industrial table and I need to lengthen the opening to accommodate my 111w153. The table formerly housed a 44-10.

Is there a preferred way to cut these holes?  I'm about 3" shy length ways.  I have plenty of woodworking tools (except a jigsaw, which seems like the right tool).

I've looked online and found a couple of videos and I can sort of envision how I'll do it, but I just wondered if someone had a good tutorial or video somewhere.

I have the 44-10, too. Ideally, I'd like to make it so I can swap the 2 back and forth.

A couple of pics, just because ...noname(131).thumb.jpeg.99f8d07d4234a5319f057bc38a769c46.jpegnoname(132).thumb.jpeg.5124a6c1e148b08660f82d157d295892.jpegnoname(133).thumb.jpeg.ec50f1d41607eb06d3329fa19436585d.jpeg

Thanks for any forthcoming help!

Edited by AlZilla
added thought

drill the radius corners with a hole saw spade bit or some such then you have options on what saw you will need. tape your formica or it will blow out.  If enough  room between holes you can use a circular saw. Coping saw will also work but your right a jig saw would be best.

Or you can use a router also which may be the case if you need those tabs at the corners or a lip to hold up your machine.

Router worked good on the sink hole in kitchen cabinets.

Both excellant recomendations

may I add a side note?

Apply painters masking tape to the Formica side of the table and cut the tape with the saw it will keep the Formica from splintering or splitting clean with a damp rag