Simplejack1985

Working on another wallet

That should make a good looking wallet , keep us up to date on progress .

56 minutes ago, ArkieNewbie said:

Very nice @Simplejack1985 ! Is this a bifold?

Yes it will be with 4 card pockets

It will look similar to that one

IMG_20221127_180820_995.jpg

IMG_20221127_180820_996.jpg

I got some more work done this morning

IMG_20221129_102921_148.jpg

Just curious but have you or anyone else for that matter made wallets that weren't vegtan? Every time I've searched making one they are all vegtan and to me they seem way too thick. I've tried with chrome tanned leather that I have a fair bit of that I bought by the pound and can't seem to make one that I'm not only "happy" with but not embarrassed by...

51 minutes ago, Chux said:

Just curious but have you or anyone else for that matter made wallets that weren't vegtan? Every time I've searched making one they are all vegtan and to me they seem way too thick. I've tried with chrome tanned leather that I have a fair bit of that I bought by the pound and can't seem to make one that I'm not only "happy" with but not embarrassed by...

I only use veg tan on things I make. I can't get chrome tan to burnish. I have used super thick chromexel to make belts, slings and valet trays.

I've made front pocket wallet with chrome tan . didn't burnish but came out ok

All carved, tooled, decorative cuts, all edges rubbed with a modeling spoon, back ground dyed. Now soaking up some oil. Then either antique paste or hi-lite. Haven't really decided that far in advance yet.

IMG_20221129_155631_708.jpg

Edited by Simplejack1985

Sheridan brown feibings antique paste applied

IMG_20221129_193446_660.jpg

5 hours ago, Chux said:

I usually make interior on my wallets in combination tanned goat leather, and edges are around 2mm at it's thickest. But making a slim wallet isn't only about the choice of leather, sure if you want to make a really slim wallet in veg tan cow leather, you might have to reinforce it, but it's also about construction, where to skive down edges.

@Simplejack1985 Nice tooling, looking forward to see your finished wallet.