MarkNY

Anyone else try Maine Thread braided thread?

I tried Maine Threads braided waxed thread recently. I love the colors, love the company, love that its american made but i find it difficult to work with. I think its too round. Its very difficult to pierce the thread with a harness needle(im using the proper size needle). I have to pierce the thread with an awl in order to be able to thread needle. Its difficult to get the backstitches to lay properly. Also, wax clogs the needle eyes after a couple uses... But its definitely high quality and the colors are great. Wish I could love this stuff. Have you tried it? Mark

I bought some at the Pendleton show a few years back, but the only size they had at the time was far larger than I use. Still haven't found a use for it, so I may have to order some of a smaller diameter. As for piercing the thread, I haven't done that in 20+ years, it's just not necessary. The wax can be cleared from the eye by a couple quick passes through a candle or lighter flame.

Interesting! How is it compared to tiger thread?

I went to their website last night and found that the only linen they have is far bigger than I use. So, I guess I won't be ordering/trying any of their products.

11 hours ago, Simplejack1985 said:

Interesting! How is it compared to tiger thread?

I'd say similar to tiger except its more round than flat. I think its a tighter weave too. I love the colors and its definitely high quality. Being round i think it gives you a nice stitch line pattern too, different from tiger. Id post a pic if i knew how! my files are too big...

I can only get the same pics I post on ig to load. The regular ones are to large

I found that I had to run the thread through the needle eye back and forth a couple time to get rid of the excess wax. Still have not decided if I like it though.

I have not tried the Main Thread braided thread yet, though their twisted thread is all I used to use. I currently use the braided thread I get through Maker's Leather Supply here in Texas, and from the reviews I'm seeing here I might just stick with that. It's pretty dang close to Tiger thread from my experience. I had high hopes for Main Thread coming out with a new line of flat braided threads because I love their twisted threads so much...but if they are more round then flat that doesn't help me any. I do recommend MLS braided thread though.

On 12/7/2022 at 10:19 PM, alfredleatherworks said:

I have not tried the Main Thread braided thread yet, though their twisted thread is all I used to use. I currently use the braided thread I get through Maker's Leather Supply here in Texas, and from the reviews I'm seeing here I might just stick with that. It's pretty dang close to Tiger thread from my experience. I had high hopes for Main Thread coming out with a new line of flat braided threads because I love their twisted threads so much...but if they are more round then flat that doesn't help me any. I do recommend MLS braided thread though.

sad they have only 0.8 and 1.0mm. I would give it a try

On 12/14/2022 at 3:46 PM, nrk said:

sad they have only 0.8 and 1.0mm. I would give it a try

On the sample card they sent me (image attached) they have a 0.02" (0.5mm), 0.03" (0.8mm), and 0.04" (1mm) thread size with 21 different colors currently. Also attached is a closeup image of the three thread sizes. I feel like the Maine Thread braided threads look and feel like a high-quality alternative option to Tiger Thread. My Tiger Thread is all packed up in my tool bag in the car so I'll try to get a picture of the Maine Thread sample card and some of my Tiger Thread side-by-side tomorrow and upload it for y'all.

IMG_4986a.jpg

IMG_4988a.jpg